What's new

HDMI Extender Advice needed ASAP !! Thanks (1 Viewer)

Bobd207s

Grip
Real Name
bob drugan
I'm looking for some advice on an affordable HDMI Extender - no more than $150 if possible. Unfortunately I can't run a HDMI cable due to the construction of the house . The builder did run some 3/4" blue tube so i can run a Cat 5 or 6 cable to the tv through it.. Which cable should I use - Cat 5 or Cat 6 ? The 2021 Sony 75" 4k tv is approx 45' from where the source equipment will be located. I only will be watching Comcast HDTV plus a ROKU and they will be plugged into a Yamaha AVR. System will not be used for gaming. Any help is greatly appreciated !! The electrician was here today and said the HDMI cable won't work and he'll be here next week so I need to order these ASAP.
Thanks
Bob

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Your best option is an active optical cable, and is in your price range. The question is, can you get the end connectors through your conduit?

Bobd207s

Grip
Real Name
bob drugan
Thanks John - the electrician tried getting the head of the hdmi through the tubing but it wouldn't fit. The wall is an outside wall and on these new homes in Fl the space behind the sheetrock is minimal. The builder did run the blue tube to behind the tv so he can run a CAT 5 or 6 cable thru it to the tv

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I believe hdmi by ethernet requires two cables.

Bobd207s

Grip
Real Name
bob drugan
I believe hdmi by ethernet requires two cables.
Hi John - from what I have been able to read i would place one end of a Cat 5 or Cat 6 cable near the AVR and the other end would be placed near the tv. The hdmi extender consists of 2 boxes ( one is a transmitter for the source ( my AVR ) and the other a receiver for the tv ) - each one has a hdmi input and a CAT 5 or 6 input.

Last edited:

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Hi John - from what I have been able to read i would place one end of a Cat 5 or Cat 6 cable near the AVR and the other end would be placed near the tv. The hdmi extender consists of 2 boxes ( one is a transmitter for the source ( my AVR ) and the other a receiver for the tv ) - each one has a hdmi input and a CAT 5 or 6 input.
Yeah, that's probably your only solution. I don't know if there are problems with it, but it is a pretty common solution. I expect you want 4K capability. I'd run Cat 6, just to be safe.

xx Brian xx

Second Unit
Real Name
Brian
Sorry, I'm a little late to the conversation. An HDMI extender is a great solution. They only require one cat cable to connect and some can do ARC if needed. I like to use AVProEdge extenders but you can expect to spend over $400. Amazon sells AV Access 4k extenders that do 4K@60hz for $120 but it won't do ARC. Personally I don't use or recommend ARC so that may not be an issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks