What's new

HDMI / DVI Conversion -> Non HDCP Compliant (1 Viewer)

Pierre_Andre

Auditioning
Hello,

I just received a HDMI / DVI cable from Ram Electronics and, after installing it between my region free Philips DVD5960 (HDMI -> Pal / Ntsc native) and my Westinghouse LCD 33" (W33001/DVI -> Pal / Ntsc native), I'm getting a flag with all my region 1 Studio releases.

For instance, every time I try to play a Studio release (Warner, Universal, etc.) like Star Trek TOS, Last Samurai, Superman Returns; I'm always getting the same message from my Philips unit -> Connection Non HDCP Compliant. Same goes with indy releases like Baraka or Goldhill's Cronos (Ron Fricke).

Every time this "flag" is activated, my DVD player outputs "video noise" within a few seconds (audio remains intact as I'm using separate cables)

The good news is that some of my region 2 releases (mostly Gaumont titles) play fine but some others (Paramount) don't.

Does anyone know how to switch off such a flag (as we're dealing with SD content) ?

I went into the parameters of my Philips DVD but the HDMI output is locked onto 'auto' and cannot be modified (I don't know if it would change anything anyway).

Thanks for your support,

Pierre André.

Nick:G

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Nick Gallegos

The problem is that you really can't change that flag because it's encoded on the disc. Right now (as you've already witnessed), certain distributors enforce HDCP encryption on digital video connections which means there's really no way around it. And eventually, this will become the norm. They don't want consumers copying bit-for-bit digital content, nor do they want anyone actually owning content anymore...they want to "license" it to you.

Your only real way out of this while still using digital video is replacing whichever device is not HDMI-compliant (I'm assuming your DVD player is the culprit). Otherwise, analog component video would work.

Pierre_Andre

Auditioning
Hi Nick,

Thanks for replying.

I'd like to replace the Philips 5960/37 with the Oppo Digital OPDV971H as it's easily convertible into a region free player (Pal / Ntsc Native).

However, the FAQ states that HDCP is supported:

Q: Does OPDV971H support HDCP compliant digital video displays?
A: Yes, the OPPO OPDV971H does support HDCP compliant displays.

Even if the OPDV971H clearly uses a DVI output, if such and such disc checks for an HDCP compliant display, I guess I'm back to square one.

Time to e-mail the manufacturer !

Thanks for your feedback,

PA.

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
The Oppo 971H does not use HDCP. I know this because I used a small computer display with two components-- the Samsung SIR-T165 HDTV tuner, and the Oppo 971H. The Samsung had a composite/s-video/component scaler that activated HDCP-- clear picture, followed in seconds by noise. The ATSC/NTSC tuners did not activate hdcp, and neither did the Oppo-- both displayed a clear, noise free 720p picture...

Subsequently, my tuner died, and I replaced it with a HDTV that supported HDCP. The Oppo continued to work.

I can thus definitively say that the Oppo 971H does not care about HDCP.

Pierre_Andre

Auditioning
Hi Jeremy,

Thanks for the info.

I went ahead and ordered the Oppo 971H from Amazon (Oppo is out of stock) and should receive in around seven to ten days.

As soon as I put my hands on it, I'll let you know how things worked out with the Westinghouse LCD.

Thanks,

PA.

Pierre_Andre

Auditioning
Hi,

I just got the Oppo 971H from Amazon today and it works like a charm with my Westinghouse LCD.

Also, I had an e-mail exchange with Oppo around ten days ago and the 981HD is HDCP compliant (FYI).

Thanks again to everyone who helped with this matter,

Pierre André.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks