What's new
World Wide Stereo

hdmi 1.4 splitter or hdmi 1.4 switcher (1 Viewer)

Real Name
kevin
hi guyz !!
Building a home theatre in the basement . Looking for recomendations .
Currently I am using a 32 inch Samsung lcd with HDMI to watch television through a new Yamaha receiver with hdmi 1.4 capability .
I also have an Optima HD66 with 3 d capability .
My issue is the receiver only has one Hdmi output so I have to remove the Hdmi cable from the Yamaha reciever every time I want to watch a movie with the Hd66 3D projector .
This means unplugging the hdmi cord from the televison and plugging it into the projector every time I want to watch a movie with the kids .
Can I use an Hdmi switcher ?
I would like to place an HDMI 1.4 switcher after the hdmi cable comes out of the Yamaha receiver Hdmi 1.4 output but not sure it can be done this way
Since I prefer 5.1 sound for both the television as well as the projector it makes more sense to place the switcher after the receiver hdmi output .
I am simply looking for an hdmi 1.4 switcher or hdmi 1.4 splitter that can be connected to the hdmi output on the yamaha receiver

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
If you use a splitter it will feed both displays at the same time which might cause a problem if the display and the projector have different resolutions. For instance if you have a 720p LCD and a 1080p Optima then your Yamaha will cater to the lowest common denominator only sending out a 720p signal. If they are both 1080p then its a non-issue. If you go with a switcher, you will leave everything connected, but you will have to manually switch between the two via a button or remote. Other than those caveats, either will work.

Regardless of which you get, make sure that you get one that needs to be plugged in and doesn't draw its power from the HDMI cable.

Real Name
kevin
Thanks .
I picked up a splitter from Monoprice with 3D capability .
I will let you guys know how everything works out when the splitter is delivered .
Its not a problem as both the TV and the projector are only 720 p .
Going to update as soon as I get the man cave built .
Basement is bare concrete walls so I have a lot of work to do before I start with the auido video .
Living as far up North as I do , I have a lot of research to do .......trying to insulate the basement and wire everything before I start the theatre system .
I have serious condensation issues I have to play with first but thanks for your reply

jimzcatz

Auditioning
Real Name
Jim Scarpine
Instead of a splitter, try a switcher. 2 inputs one output. The switch will automatically pick which one or you can tell it by remote. I have used these, but the signal keeps dropping, so I gave up. It will drop for a few seconds than come back. Good luck.

Abigail Cable

Auditioning
Real Name
Abigail Cable
If you have multiple HDMI inputs and want to switch between them to 1 TV you need an HDMI Switch. If you want to display the same image from one HDMI input on multiple TVs you need a HDMI Splitter. I would recommend checking KVMSwitchTech as they offer a wide range of HDMI Splitter and HDMI Switch solutions.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoneman66
Recent bookmarks