What's new
World Wide Stereo

HDMI 1.3? (1 Viewer)

Real Name
Jeff Shultz
Little help here. I am having difficulty determining what all has to be HDMI 1.3 supportive. simply put, I want all that I have to be able to take advantage of 1.3 for HD vid/aud. So, what all has to be HDMI 1.3? AV rec, TV, DVD player or projector, speakers, cables,.

Can someone help with this? Direct me to an info site or tell me the whats up with this?

Thanks in advance.

Jeff.

728x90

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
HDMI 1.3 is really just the ability to pass undecoded HD audio codecs for decoding in the receiver. So you need a receiver that decodes TrueHD/DTS-HD Master Audio and a Blu-ray player that sends them undecoded. The rest of 1.3 (Deep color or whatever they call it) isn't supported by any current TV's or players (or on Blu-ray disk, ever), so it's really not relevant.

Real Name
Jeff Shultz
Thank you Jeff. and the other for leads. So, the cable (HDMI 1.3) and the receiver must be 1.3 capable. The DVD player? Must be 1.3 so that it can pass on the decoded info? Is this it?

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

HDMI 1.3 only applies to Blu-Ray players, because they are they only source for the HD audio formats (DTS-HD and Dolby TrueHD). If you are only getting a DVD player, HDMI 1.3 doesn't apply. Plus, most generic HDMI cables will have no problem with 1.3. 99% of the time, you don't really need a "1.3 capable" cable.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

No. Also, there are no sources for deep color, except for a couple HD cameras that are outside most consumer budgets. For the most part, deep color is vaporware.

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member

Hmm. You'd really have to look at the chipset. From what I understand, many video filters use 10 or 12 or 16 bits per pixel, just to minimize roundoff errors-- and cut it back down to 8 bits at the very end. A HDMI 1.3 path would eliminate this step.

The wider color gamut, on the other hand would seem to require "native sources".

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
It doesn't matter what they use internally, if the output isn't Deep Color, then it doesn't support it.

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member

Well...

An good display may already use 10 or 12 bits internally. It makes gamma adjustments that more precise. Or it may be used to good effect in the scalar.

Similarly, an outboard video processor may use 10 to 12 bits internally.

Before HDMI 1.3, the processor would have to truncate the output (losing precision), and the display would have to pad the input (adding nothing to precision).

With HDMI 1.3, truncation is no longer necessary, and the display can accept a 10 to 12 bit signal.

It's a relatively simple fix that potentially increases the usefulness of outboard video processors.

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
When it comes to cables is there any need to upgrade to 1.3 certified? Currently my cables are 24AWG bought from monoprice.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

Probably not. Most HDMI cables are overbuilt, and unless you are using super long lengths (50+ feet), 1.3 certification is a moot point. If they work, they work, and upgrading to another level is not going to make them "work" any better.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sitcomguy
Recent bookmarks