What's new

HD Ready or Full HD? (1 Viewer)

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

It isn't that simple. EDTV really effectively means 480p in the U.S. and is mostly a standard that allows for low-cost flatpanel and directview sets that can replace existing SD sets, downconvert digital TV signals to a progressive scan image that will look sharper than SC and which won't require a set-top box once analog broadcasting stops in 2009.

For more information on the standard, see this article on Wikipedia.

Regards,

Joe

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
in the us, edtv refers to 480p. Generally, hdtv is equal or greater than 720p.

In other countries, the definitions may be different. IIRC, "HD Ready" is at minimum, 720p. "Full HD" is not a standard term.

look for a set that has a resolution of 1080x1920, and can accept 1080p signals.

Seppo

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Seppo
Thanks for the reply, Cees. I'm a fairly poor student (starting at a local university next month), so I really don't think I'll be getting a full HD projector in the next 4-6(?) years, I'm afraid. Is the difference between 720p and 1080p mindblowingly huge?

At the moment I'm leaning towards Blu-ray and probably for PS3. Does it go well with the Z3? Today I ordered a 10-metre HDMI-HDMI cable (for PS3 and Z3) and a 5-metre optical audio cable (for PS3 and my JVC RX-5032VSL receiver). Because of my receiver, I guess this means that I won't be able to enjoy the HD audio formats at all?

Over the past week or so, I've ordered 6 Blu-ray titles. Two preorders: "Close Encounters of the Third Kind" and "Blade Runner" (5-disc Ultimate Collector's Edition). "Terminator 2: Judgment Day", which should probably arrive in a week or less. "Superman Returns", "Superman: The Movie" and "The Untouchables" should arrive in the next couple of weeks. Damn, I'm getting excited! :D

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
What Jeremy said.

If you currently have a 720p TV (30" or less and not sitting too close), your set will do the HD content full honour. Only when you start watching > 40" screens and from not very far a distance, you will start to "need" the 1080i or -p.

Your receiver can do the usual audio tracks. Most of us still don't have a new receiver (decoding the newest codecs), because we were *all* waiting for HDMI 1.3 support. :)

Cees

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
Get the "full" 1080p-screen if you can. Why settle for "1080i", when 1080p-models are available? I doubt that 1080i-screen is *that much* cheaper than 1080p..

This has always been my policy; I won´t settle anything less than full 1080p. ;)

Kenneth+S

Auditioning
Hello,

I hardly ever post on this forum, but do frequent it often. Mostly to gain some new insite into the latest hardware.

I have a very nice home theater set up. I recently purchased a new display device and went with a Zenith DLP (52 Inch). It was an older model and I got a great price for it. It displays up to 1080i. I could have gotten a 1080p set but would rather have not spent more for it and here is why.

My brother inlaw recently purchased a new Samsung 1080p set (around 50-55inch I believe) He also has a Blu-Ray player and I got a chance to watch some BD movies with him. Quite honestly, the difference between 1080i and 1080p to me on very similar size sets is hardly noticable, if at all. Yes, the difference between old 480i to 720p or 1080i is staggering and worth the money, but that is were it ends for me. I was not that blown away by BD, quite honestly I think many of my upconverted SD dvd's look almost as good.

You guys probably think I am crazy, and yes we both have used Digital Video Essentials to calibrate our tv's.

My point being, it ussually comes down to cost for most of us. Just because one tv has a few more pixels or scan lines than another, doesn't mean the human eye is going to notice much of a difference past a certain point.

I will say this though, my last tv was a 55inch Mitsubishi HDready set. I had a external tuner to pick up my local hd channels. The Zenith DLP has a built in tuner and looks much better. That could also be attributed to the fact that the Mitsu was a crt rear projection as appossed to DLP.

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
There's a bit of confusion here.

All fixed pixel displays have a native resolution. Most of them can accept a choice of input resolutions.

Take my display, for instance. It's nothing special, just a 27" LCD television.

It's native resolution is 1366x768.

But it can accept 1080i, 720p, 480i, and 480p (as well as a bunch of computer resolutions that few home theatre devices support)

Is it a 1080i TV? Not really. I prefer better handling of cadences to the slightly higher resolution, so I have my Oppo set to use 720p, not 1080i. There's a slight bit of added noise added when the set upscales 1280*720 to 1366*768, but it's not quite noticeable.

The benefits of using a 1080p TV is that the display resolution matches the input resolution-- no double upscaling and the fact that it accepts a progressive signal, so if your players deinterlace more reliably, you can have them deinterlace the signal.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks