What's new

Has anybody converted to rentals? (1 Viewer)

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I broke a very bad habit by joining NF because before that I used to buy movies that I haven't seen and then got burned when said movie ended up sucking.

The last straw was The Village, I bought it and the film actually brought me to the point of anger at how much I hated it, the only film that I can recall to have that effect on me to date.

I've switched my account over to BD and every title that's available in that format I rent in addition to standard def DVD. To me it's the ideal way to watch many BD films since it would quickly turn into a money pit to buy every title that comes out because of the $30+ price.

With NF I don't pay that much and if the movie sucks then so what?

Aragorn the Elfstone

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John

That sucks to be sure. :frowning: But this actually makes me think my original plan was best (to become a renter). If I save on making purchases, I'll still be ahead money-wise.

Storage space-wise, it just seems to make the most sense for me. I'm starting to think of Netflix as sort of an "external film library".

Jari K

Senior HTF Member

Pretty much how I feel, when it comes to films that *interest* me. From time to time I of course rent some titles (I don´t want to own every film I watch). But quite frankly I have more interesting titles at home than in the rental store, meaning over 100 titles (or something, it´s sad..) "to be watched", etc. ;)

KeithAP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Keith
I rent almost everything. While I understand most won't agree with me on this, I see almost no value in purchasing a movie.

When I first got a DVD player many years ago, I started to build a collection of DVD titles. It wasn't long before I had nearly 200 titles (probably a small collection by forum standards). It occurred to me that I had spent well over $2K on this collection and that I would have been far better served by putting most of that money into my HT hardware.

I am probably more budget constrained than many here. Even when I buy now, I will rent first to make sure the transfer/movie is up to snuff.

It also helps that I have Block Buster store less than 5 minutes away from where I live, so it is very convenient to pick something up on a whim if I don't have it at home waiting to be watched from their online rentals.

-Keith

PerryD

Supporting Actor
I also went from mostly buying to mostly renting. When I first picked up an HD-DVD player and a PS3 a couple years back along with a new 1080p projector, I was buying a steady amount of high def content, as the deals got better and better (pretty much all movies available for $8 to $10 from Amazon) all of last year, I could help but buy them. Probably picked up nearly 100 high def movies last year.

But now this year that the average price of the movies is back above $20, I'm renting everything now. I bought only a few discs this year, the last one was the Dirty Harry Box from Warner using their 30% off coupon. I'm holding off on several titles that I want, waiting for the B1G1 sales to come back again.

Aragorn the Elfstone

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John
Well, I finally settled on what I'm gonna do. I've decided on certain films (which would qualify as my absolute "favorites"), and will get them on Blu-ray, while the rest will be coming to me via Netflix.

For now the titles I have added to my Blu-ray "collection" are:

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Pan's Labyrinth
Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl
There Will Be Blood

Catalog titles to be added: Amadeus, Braveheart, Gladiator, The Godfather films (maybe), Lawrence of Arabia, Lord of the Rings, Star Wars (and perhaps a couple more when I think about it)

I will also be purchasing The Dark Knight - but that'll probably be it from this year.

My goal is to move away from what I've done all these years, which is picking up every movie I like, and instead having a smaller "collection" of movies that stand out to me as my most treasured film experiences.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
FWIW, I probably would own less if I didn't have a family w/ kids -- certainly would not be owning the SW prequels among other titles (and I may try again to resist getting the SW prequels when they arrive on Blu). :P

_Man_

MarkBirds

Stunt Coordinator

I'm really glad to read this, because I bought that new SE about two months before I got my HDTV and PS3 and was kicking myself. Cool.

BTW, I have come to appreciate my Blockbuster online membership more since I got my PS3. The online availability has gotten steadily better, and I get 5 in-store rentals a month. Not too shabby for 20 bucks a month.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks