What's new

Hanna Barbera- Funky Phantom (1 Viewer)

gordoncolt

Agent
Real Name
gordon
I got the Funky Phantom set and am disappointed to find the episodes are cut 22 minute versions.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
Saturday Morning Cartoons tended to have more commercials than other shows, which is why the FCC placed a cap of 12 minutes per hour on children's shows.
Too bad they cannot do this for ALL TV Shows! :f

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
gordoncolt said:
I got the Funky Phantom set and am disappointed to find the episodes are cut 22 minute versions.
Unfortunately, i think that is going to be case for many of the classic hanna-barbera shows. I have over 40 HB cartoons and love them, but it is not the same as being a kid. I remember waking up at 730 am eating my bowl of ceral (TRIX, Fruit Loops, Captain Crunch, etc) and watching the shows. I am glad that i can just popped in the dvd and watch them without any interruption. I am curious to see what will be released next. I am guessing that from the 1970s set the following should be coming out shortly
1. New Adventures of Gilligan
2. Roman Hollidays
I like to hear the status on the following:
1. Skatebirds
2. Banana Splits
3. Gulliver

gordoncolt

Agent
Real Name
gordon
It looks like the Amazing Chan and the Chan Clan episodes are 20 minutes long.That is according to box total run time.

Tom M

Stunt Coordinator
Regulus said:
Saturday Morning Cartoons tended to have more commercials than other shows, which is why the FCC placed a cap of 12 minutes per hour on children's shows. Too bad they cannot do this for ALL TV Shows! :f
Exactly. Saturday morning shows in the 1970's and 1980's typically ran 22 minutes long. I still have Betamax tapes of first time airings of some shows which confirm this.
Also, a cap WAS placed on all prime time shows sometime in the mid-1990's. No network can air more than 16 minutes of commericals per show per hour without being fined. Hence why 60 minute shows are "locked" into a 42-44 minute running time without commericals. Without that cap, we would likely be looking at 40 minute long shows (without commericals) or shorter these days!

Greg Chenoweth

Supporting Actor
Tom M said:
Exactly. Saturday morning shows in the 1970's and 1980's typically ran 22 minutes long. I still have Betamax tapes of first time airings of some shows which confirm this.
Also, a cap WAS placed on all prime time shows sometime in the mid-1990's. No network can air more than 16 minutes of commericals per show per hour without being fined. Hence why 60 minute shows are "locked" into a 42-44 minute running time without commericals. Without that cap, we would likely be looking at 40 minute long shows (without commericals) or shorter these days!
The way networks now get around that cap is by airing a lot of promos during the shows to keep the show running times low. The lower the minutes of shooting on set keeps the budget down. A lot of shows now do run about 40 minutes. It is ludicrous. Perry Mason had about 52-54 minutes of show time but not CSI.

derosa

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Grant
Tom M said:
Scooby Doo ran over 24 mins in 1977, and then in 1978 was only 22:30.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks