What's new

"Halo 2 will not ship in 2003" (1 Viewer)

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Official statement from Bungie

There has been much speculation regarding Halo 2's release date since we announced the game last year. The fact is we don't like announcing release dates unless we're certain we'll meet the deadline.

We're still not ready to pick a specific release date, but we do want to state for the record that Halo 2 will not ship in 2003. This game is a vast undertaking, considerably more complex than any of our previous efforts, and there is just no way to squeeze all of the necessary work into this calendar year. We know many of you were hoping to get your hands on Halo 2 during the holiday season, and we're sorry to disappoint you - but making this game as good as we possibly can is our paramount concern. Microsoft understands and supports our decision, and we hope you will too. Our ultimate goal is to make Halo 2 a great game; when the game comes out next year, we think you'll agree we made the right choice.

Of course, you'll be able to get a small taste of the glories we have in store when we show Halo 2 at the Electronic Entertainment Expo in May. And there is Halo for Mac and PC, still on track for a 2003 release with several new features and content. There is lots of exciting stuff on the way for Halo fans.

As always, we invite you to check back with us here at Bungie.net regularly for the official word on all things Halo, straight from the developers.
I'm suprised. Everything pointed to this being a /huge/ title in Microsoft's plans for late 2003 that they would not let slip. I'm genuinely suprised & have to eat humble pie based on a few past arguments :)

Derrik Draven

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
Yeah, that sucks.

But, considering the great stuff that "supposed" to come out this year, ie. Deus Ex II, Doom 3, Thief III, ect...this isn't all that devastating.

And, if it gives Bungie time to make it live up to it's hype, it's worth it in the end.

Dan B

Screenwriter
Is Thief III coming out for Xbox? I have to add that to my list in that other thread about anticipated Xbox games then...

Halo 2...I can wait. :D

Scott_W

Stunt Coordinator
Deus Ex II in 2003? I'll be surprised if Deus Ex II makes it as well, giving the developers history.

Big blow to the XBox's holiday plans though, and sales.

Dave Falasco

Screenwriter
Big blow to the XBox's holiday plans though, and sales.
Perhaps, but I think the bigger impact might be to Xbox Live...I've always figured that they would time the release of Halo 2 so that everyone who signed up for Xbox Live in November last year would have to renew to play it. Now there looks to be a decent-sized gap between what, 150,000 subscriptions running out and Halo 2 coming out? I wonder how many of those people will re-up without Bungie's game as the big draw, especially if the pricing goes to something like $10 a month as has been widely predicted?

Sad news, true, but at least they are being honest about it early on. :frowning:

Scott_W

Stunt Coordinator
Excellent point about XBox Live. We'll know more at E3 this year what Microsoft's plans are, but without a big Live draw, few may sign up. People will only play Mechassault for so long.

What about Crimson Skies? Will it be online? Hopefully it'll be out this fall (finally).

CaptDS9E

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joey
There are so many FPS/Mech types games coming out this year or are out already i think people can wait a bit

Mech Assault
Ghost Recon
Unreal Tourney
Raven Sheild
Clone Wars
Counterstrike
Wolfenstein

Im probably forgeting a few

capt

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.
Joey -

The real problem is that except for Mechassault, I can play all those titles on my PC for free. And I get a keyboard with a mouse, free updates, better resolution, maybe extra content. So why would I pay MS $120 a year to accept less? I can by 2.5 more games at that price.

Halo 2 was THE reason I was going to continue with XBL after next Nov. Maybe some other games can arrive to convince me to remain in the meantime, but they need something compelling and exclusive to XBL. I don't think I'm in a minority in the way I approach this either.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
Good. Don't rush the game. Bungie can take all the time they need to make the game as good as possible. I want to see more varied and unique level design, better AI, superb graphics, more vehicles and a rock solid Xbox Live experience. If that takes a little more time than expected I'll be glad to wait.

Of course it always diappointing to have to wait for something you want so badly...(Yes me want to run over HTF folk online with a warthog in Halo 2 more than anyone:D) but I'm sure no one here wants a rushed product.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
I wonder if this will lead to any speculation of an increase of the chance of "Halo 1.5 Online" being announced at E3.

Brae

Supporting Actor
Even if its ready, I'd hold off and properly milk the console cows for every drop attainable. Its still selling strong, otherwise it would have been discounted already.

Dan B

Screenwriter
Calvin/Brian...Halo 1.5 does not exist & never has been announced. I'm sure speculation will increase about this, but I don't think it'll happen.

Morgan, this is the first official announcement of any sort regarding the release date, so until 2005 arrives, the game is right on schedule. :)

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Dan B-

Actually, Halo for PC is sort of Halo 1.5, I think. It's Halo, changed for the PC, and includes online play.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Morgan, you know fine well that's not what we're talking about - don't confuse the issue. And Dan, I know it hasn't been announced. It's been much rumoured though :)

Dan B

Screenwriter
Brian, yeah I know. I just refuse to set myself up for any disappointments. If it does come out, then it'll be a pleasant surprise...if it doesn't, that's fine - because it never was supposed to come out.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annefnlys01
Recent bookmarks