What's new

Groan not, Paramount, but what with Mars being in the news and all... (1 Viewer)

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Yes, dear folks at Paramount who give us such lovely DVD product, that classic gem and minor favorite from the early '60s, Robinson Crusoe on Mars, would seem especially timely now. Look at the news: the Spirit Rover (soon to be followed by Opportunity this weekend), the president's "bold, new" space initiative (humans to Mars, at last!), and, most of all, look at all the other minor films being released by other studios that are doing so well on DVD.

Sure, you gotta listen to the bean counters in the front office. But, seriously, this 1964 adventure film has a built-in following that would surely translate into decent sales for a catalog title.

There's a market for this sweet little flick, I tell ya. What say you? (Please? Pretty please?)

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
One of my favorites, yes the time is just right for Robinson Crusoe on Mars to make it's debut on dvd. Paramount please release this colorful sci-fi classic, it was made in widescreen Techniscope.

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
On my list of the top ten films I most want to see on DVD.

Regretably, I was never able to pick up the laser so I go to bed at night praying for the health of my family & friends and the eventual release of Robinson Crusoe on Mars on DVD.

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
Though I burned the contents of my Criterion LD edition onto a DVD-R for myself, I'd gladly purchase a legit Paramount DVD of ROBINSON CRUSOE ON MARS, with the added advantage of anamorphic enhancement.

Beyond the "current events" angle, perhaps it would help, marketing-wise, to release it within a batch of Paramount catalog sci-fi DVDs, namely:

I MARRIED A MONSTER FROM OUTER SPACE (1958) DVD release announced
CONQUEST OF SPACE (1955) DVD release announced
CRACK IN THE WORLD (1965-British)
PHASE IV (1974)
COLOSSUS OF NEW YORK (1958)
SPACE CHILDREN (1958)
PROJECT X (1968)

--er, pretty please? :D

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Excellent suggestions all, Peter. (Phase IV is a genuinely good and genuinely real SF film.) I'd love to see Conquest of Space on DVD. It would make an excellent double-feature with Crusoe, similar to one of MGM's Midnite Movies releases.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Well, I usually play 'me to' when this title comes up, so 'me to'. It has been ages since I viewed this film, but it would make a welcome addition to the collection, along with Phase IV and Colossus of New York.

- Walter.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
I like my sci-fi quieter and more thoughtful. There's more room on my shelf for Robinson Crusoe on Mars than for a lot of shoot-em-up blaster films. According to what I read on IMDB, the LD only went to one pressing due to pressure from Paramount which is why it's so rare.

Nick Eden

Stunt Coordinator
Without a doubt one of the true sci-fi classics and another definite purchase here.
I think I am right in saying that a release this year would mark the film's 40th anniversary?
I believe that Paramount does note the wish lists of Home Theater Forum members as witnessed by the successful release last year of "Scrooge". I just could not believe that RCOM would not recoup its costs!
Not only is this film highly considered among fans, critics also lavish praise: I quote from the late great Leslie Halliwell's Film Guide: "this is an absorbing, entertaining and well-staged piece of science fiction".

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
Paramount - please release this and also license all the Criterion laserdisc supplements (as New Line have done with discs like Once Were Warriors). The Criterion CAV LD goes for ridiculous amounts on Ebay (when it actually turns up once in a blue moon) and is by far the most sought-after item from Criterion's LD catalogue. The demand is HUGE!

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Yes, Paramount, you could sell quite a few copies of this little gem. Please reconsider this title. Heck, you could do a little marketing and tie the disc in with current events (i.e., the Mars rovers, the new space initiative). There is clearly a lot of interest here.

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
Bump above the line;

Yes this and CRACK IN THE WORLD- are on my "to buy" list once theyre out.

Joe Fisher

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph E Fisher
Count me in as one that would buy this if available. Another movie from my childhood that I enjoyed. So do the right thing Paramount and get this puppy released.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Great little movie. A real gem. I would definately buy a DVD edition should Paramount release it, even if it didn't have extra features. It never even shows up on TV in pan and scan! Such a shame.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Mr. Staddon: Already there are more requests in this latest thread (of many threads about this movie) for RCOM than there were for some of the titles that "made the cut" for your poll of a few years back. How can Paramount ignore this?

Joe Fisher

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph E Fisher

That would be Mr. Blythe not Mr. Staddon. Peter Staddon is Fox. Martin Blythe is Paramount.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks