What's new

Greatest American Hero!!! (1 Viewer)

RogerH

Supporting Actor
I saw The Heroine Pilot it wasn't that great but it did have closure for the original series so it was worth watching it for that.

Jon F.

Stunt Coordinator
Jimmy, please let me know ASAP if the music is intact. (AMAZON.COM still says the 15th!)

JasonLa

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jason

I didn't know they advance shipped items before the street dates unless I got the wrong release date (feb 8)

Also if someone could post about the set once they have it to let us know if its 100% as original aired

Pete Battista

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pete
Mine shipped today too... some places ship before release date so you can get it on or around release date.

Unfortunately... it has been so many years since I seen GAH that I won't be able to help you with if they are as aired... but sure someone here will be able to say :)

Mark To

Supporting Actor
I don't understand why you people are getting so excited when so far every Cannell series released has been a botch job. (Hunter, 21 Jump Street, Wiseguy). Don't you people learn?

Mark To

Supporting Actor

I can't tell you how sad that is. Especially for a show that aired during the era of the VCR when you could have recorded a show yourself or could find someone to trade with who did. But then that requires effort and most people would just rather buy a DVD release, regardless of the alterations, because its easy. Simple rule - If a show aired post-1980 and I wanted it, I have it. If I don't, someone else does. Pre-1980 it becomes more difficult, but not impossible.

Amy Mormino

Supporting Actor
Someone with an early copy posted on the DVD Talk forum that there were some song changes in this set. The theme song seems to be intact, however. I guess that licensing fees still count even if you don't use the original singer, as Joey Scarbury sang most of the songs on the show.

This will be an issue for some, but I don't remember the songs particularly, so I still plan to buy it.

BrandonJF

Second Unit
The only other song I remember is "Rocket Man" from the first episode. I'll be surprised if it's still there now...

RogerH

Supporting Actor
I'm still getting it. I mean the issues with the music does suck and it seem to becoming more and more common. I'm just happy I can retire my vcd's.

JasonLa

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jason
I have syndicated copies and still plan on buying the DVD. I'll post any changes or info I gather here unless someone beats me to it. As long as the episodes are not syndicated I think I am willing to deal with some music changes as long as they aren't as back as the ones with Quantum Leap season 2.

JasonLa

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jason
I don't know but I'm pretty certain all of the ones I have are Showcase broadcasts. I checked the 1st episode to see what channel it was recorded off of.

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
A few season 1 songs to look for:

Pilot Episode:
"Rocket Man" (Elton John)
"Space Oddity" (David Bowie)

Episode 4 ("Here's Looking At You, Kid"):
"I'm Looking Through You" (The Beatles)

...there were WAY more songs in season 2, but many of them were Joey Scarbury originals. There were still a few covers, though (which may present clearance problems):

Episode 11 ("Operation: Spoil Sport")
"The Eve of Destruction" (Barry McGuire)

Episode 12 ("Don't Mess Around With Jim")
"Don't Mess Around With Jim" (Jim Croce)

Episode 13 ("Hog Wild")
"The Sound of Silence" (Simon & Garfunkel)
"Bad Moon Rising" (Creedence Clearwater Revival)

Episode 27 ("There's Just No Accounting...")
"Taxman" (The Beatles)

...note that all of the above are songs that play in the background, or over montages, or whatever. So if they do end up cut or replaced on the DVDs, at least the actual storylines aren't being tampered with. HOWEVER, episode 14 ("Classical Gas") actually features a few songs that are performed by Ralph's students ("Brass in Pocket" by The Pretenders, for example). I'm not sure how they could replace those songs without messing up the footage. I guess we'll find out.

While I'm certainly no advocate of changing the episodes, I also recognize that this series doesn't have the widespread appeal to justify the insane costs of music clearances. I'm much more concerned about actual footage cuts (i.e. syndication versions) than music changes. Unless they take out the Joey Scarbury originals, that is! Some of those songs were really great... "Scramble," "Free To Fly," and "Dreams" come to mind...

Tom Brennan

Screenwriter
Real Name
(see above)
I just got my set today and popped in the pilot. Sadly both "Rocket Man" and "Space Oddity" are changed to some cheesey crap. Which is a shame because both shows added to to the show.

I thought the music clearance wouldn't be as big of an issue with cover versions...but I guess they are. Maybe I'll feel motivated one day and merge the soundtrack from the syndicated versions with these versions.

Curtis F

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen, or heard, it for myself. They have changed some of the music on this DVD set. I hate to say this but it seems that this is the way it is going to be from now on. I now have to resign myself to the fact that there is nothing we as consumers can do to stop this trend. I can't believe that after all I have read and seen concerning this issue, that our displeasure hasn't made it to the ears of those in charge of these decisions. That being said, I know that in SOME cases, it is not the studios or producers faults. Much of the blame rests squarely on the shoulders of the rights holders of the music itself. It really reinforces the opinion that I have had for years now that EVERYONE in the music business (except the ARTISTS, who, in most cases are not the rightholders) are CROOKS. If anyone who reads this is in the music business, you can deny this if you like, but deep down, you know you are. You know that at some point, you've screwed somebody over to get yourself ahead. It's just a shame that WE as consumers are the ones getting screwed now.

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
I guess the ultimate question is: does the music replacement constitute a dealbreaker? I'm surprised that people are actually cancelling their orders over this. They've changed a few songs, yes, presumably because the costs to license the songs are too prohibitive. Does this mean the series should never be released on DVD? I'm frankly amazed that the show is getting released at all! The series has a limited appeal, and was never really a big hit, and hardly ever pops up in syndication (it's been a good 10 years since I've seen an episode!). The changes aren't ideal.... but it's better than nothing. I'm not validating the situation, and I'm certainly not supporting the outrageous cost of licensing songs, but I can at least understand why this is happening. And you bet your ass I'm gonna buy it. I don't have the original broadcast versions on tape, and the series isn't being shown in syndication (if it were, I'd be Tivoing it and burning my own DVDs). Should I deprive myself of seeing the show because a few songs have been replaced? My answer is a resounding Hell, no! But again, this doesn't mean I'm not a bit disappointed.... just not enough to deny myself the goofy pleasure of seeing Ralph crashing into garbage cans again after all these years.

And as I posted earlier, I'm much more interested in the original songs that were composed specifically for the series, which presumably WILL be included. I've never been a fan of cover songs. :D

Dave Farley

Second Unit
Count me out. Missing music is a deal breaker for me. Buying incomplete sets only encourages more of the same, in my opinion. It's a shame, too. I wanted this series.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks