What's new

Greatest American Hero!!! (1 Viewer)

Tom Brennan

Screenwriter
Real Name
(see above)
Apparantly, on the Japanese releases of the series (which has been available for almost a year now)... all the original music is included, with no lame replacements. I wonder why it was ok for Japan but not for here?

The sets are broken up into volumes, not season sets. They are expensive, but worth it if you would like to own the original music. I am going to try and find an online retailer that carries them.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member

Different countries have different laws concerning rights and licensing. And the ownership may differ around separate parts of the globe.

That is precisely why the Region coding system was put in place. So that if a company owns rights to something in Nation "A", and halfway around the world, in Nation "B", the company that owns rights to the property there releases the item, then folks in "A" can't easily import and use that "B" release. If it was okay for everybody to do, the property rights of the company in "A" wouldn't be worth anything; they would never see a dime off the "B" release. All the studios agreed that this was a problem that affected all of them, and so Region coding was born.

In fact, Region coding was foreshadowed by the video game industry! Sega Genesis (known as "MegaDrive" overseas) consoles had different shaped cartridge slots in Japan vs. USA vs Europe, to keep USA carts from being played overseas or to keep overseas carts from working in the USA.

(Of course, many of us just cut away parts of the console hole or bought an adapter so that we cold play them anyway...just like we can buy region-free DVD players now!)

Tom Brennan

Screenwriter
Real Name
(see above)

The only site I found that carries them is cdjapan.co.jp. The average price for a set is about $135. However, they don't tell you what episodes are in what set. I am trying to find out more information. I want to see how bad seasons two and three are affected by the music changes before I spend that kind of money on Japanese releases.

Thanks for the info David. Although I understand the reasoning, it's still very fustrating!

JasonLa

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jason
The alterations sumarized here

http://tgah.proboards43.com/index.cg...num=1113162616

I see it mentions some things were clipped out to hide music changes. Is this a significant amount of trimming or like just like a second or 2. The episodes aren't like missing several minutes of footage like you see with syndicated shows right?

I have some syndicated copies of GAH. Am I going to be disapointed in getting the DVD sets? Music replacements I can probably deal with as long as my above concern isn't a problem on the set.

Jim.Stokes

Auditioning
Season III disc is out August 2nd. 13 episodes. Amazon has it listed for 28 bucks, if i'm not mistaken, this season includes cameos by Bob Saget and Andre the Giant, i don't remember much though, I think (as noted above) some episodes never even aired, so i'm pretty stoked, so far the last two sets have been great.

Curtis F

Stunt Coordinator
The last four or five episodes were not originally aired by ABC, but all of the episodes have been shown in syndication. FX was the last to do so that I know of, but that was about twelve years ago. They did show all of the episodes including the 'Heroine' pilot.

Jim.Stokes

Auditioning
I had no idea FX syndicated the show, I never expected them to come out on DVD. so I was kind of shocked & surprised, do you know if the season 3 collection includes the Super Heroine pilot in it's entirety?

Jeff#

Screenwriter
The Greatest American Heroine was more than a pilot, but it was actually the title of an episode of the old show made a few years after cancellation. And for no particular reason, it is on the first season set.

I finally got the 1st season the other day. I bought it used for $8 (half off their price) at Sunvocast Video for buying 2 other DVDs. They're in excellent condition and the previous owner didn't even lose the instruction book! :D

It was in the third episode, when guest star June Lockhart (as Pam's mother) is seen at the airport and she says Ralph's last name, but it's censored out (look several posts up as to why).

An episode or two later, we hear Fay Grant's character Rhonda calling him Ralph Hanley. The name change happened fast......however by the time "The Greatest American Heroine" was made in 1986, it was Hinkley again.

RogerH

Supporting Actor
I just picked up the Season 3 set. I really like the change in the menu screen after they stayed like the first season in season two. Plus the video is on par with the others as well (a good thing) but no extras :frowning:

RogerH

Supporting Actor
FYI, The Season 3 set lists the episodes in production order but here is the correct order:
1. Divorce Venusian Style
2. The Price Is Right
3. This Is the One the Suit Was Meant For
4. The Resurrection of Carlini
5. The Newlywed Game
6. Heaven Is in Your Genes
7. Live at Eleven
8. Space Ranger
9. Thirty Seconds Over Little Tokyo
10. Wizards and Warlocks
11. It's Only Rock and Roll
12. Desperado
13. Vanity, Says the Preacher

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks