What's new

Great stuff on sale at Best Buy and Circuit City this week (9/29-10/5). (1 Viewer)

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
hmm...the upc codes are the same.
guess i'm gonna have to go to borders and see what them fools are up to.
i've copied the upc code too...just in case! :)

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
Best Buy had 2 versions for sale. A jewel case for $17.99 and a cardboard case special edition for $24.99

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
I suppose that Circuit City could have made a mistake in advertising the "special edition". Maybe it simply has a deluxe booklet.

Anyone else have more information? As I said, I saw two versions at Borders yesterday. One looked to be a standard version, in that the package was merely a shrinkwrapped jewel case. The other version was in a cardboard sleeve.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
well, i just got back a while ago. i went to both best buy and borders.
best buy only had the jewel case version. sticker price of 24.99, but on sale for 17.99.
i asked the employee if she could check her computer to verify if there was a se. the system told her there was only one version. but the kicker is she went to the website and it listed both versions! that flustered her...she started dancing and saying "oh yeah...the one you have in your hand is the limited ed." although i knew she was unsure, i picked it up anyway.
then i cruised over to borders. they had two versions. one in the jewel case and one with the cardboard "wrap". on sale for 19.99. the cardboard one said "limited edition" on the outside, but i could tell no other difference between the two. neither mentioned a deluxe book or poster.
all of them had the same upc code i listed above. so, i'm not sure what's up. but, or 18 bucks, i'm probably gonna stick with the one i bought. i won't open it up just yet in case someone else has more info.
btw - i'm totally crackin' up at how much effort i'm putting into getting the "correct" one. :D

Doug Schiller

Supporting Actor
I bought the cardboard "Limited Edition" and it is the exact same disc. It blows my mind how they will market a cardboard sleeve as "limited".

Doug

Matt Birchall

Supporting Actor
Best Buy had 2 versions for sale. A jewel case for $17.99 and a cardboard case special edition for $24.99
Both versions have the same exact UPC code, and they both should be ringing up for $17.99 each throughout this week. The $24.99 stickers indicate the regular price of the set.

Luke_Khuc

Stunt Coordinator
so has anyone listened to the discs yet? i'm still waiting for a review :). i haven't owned a stones disc yet and really want to buy this 2CD set.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
so has anyone listened to the discs yet?
good lord man! how can any of us actually listen to the cd when we're all so worried about whether we're getting the right one or not? i mean really...how could you ask such a thing? :D
just go get it. i'm sure the cd quality is at least as good as anything else out there right now. all things considered, i'm glad to have it in my collection.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Ted, so $19.99 at Borders, huh? Interesting. As I said, the copy in the cardboard sleeve that I held in my hands on Monday had a $22.99 sticker on it. It was one of those blue sale stickers that Borders uses. This special edition thing is crazy. I will probably buy the one in the cardboard sleeve in the end, especially if I can get for the same price as the one without the sleeve.
Luke asks an interesting question. Very novel. I hadn't thought about how these discs might sound. Anybody have some thoughts? ;)

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
if you're really feelin' a pinch keith, go to best-buy. you can get the 'regular' version for 17.99 - it'll save you a whoppin' two bucks! :)
i'm actually thinking i may have to bite the bullet and get the one with the gosh-darned cardboard sleeve.
damn those marketing geniuses! :)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Ted said:
if you're really feelin' a pinch keith, go to best-buy. you can get the 'regular' version for 17.99 - it'll save you a whoppin' two bucks!
Yeah, Best Buy and Circuit City advertised it for $17.99 in last Sunday's fliers. As for the pinch, I am just trying to exhibit some self-control for a change. I've been buying CDs like they are going out of style (and no, SACD and DVD-Audio are not making CDs go out of style). ;) Anyway, I have a pile of CDs I've bought in the last week, plus I have another pile coming from eBay sellers, Columbia House, and BMG. I vowed to avoid Best Buy and Circuit City this week. So, no Forty Licks or anything else. :frowning:

Matt Birchall

Supporting Actor
I'm holding off on Forty Licks, too. I counted them up today, and I've already got thirty licks on their regular albums. Six of the remaining ten licks are from their weaker albums, which I don't have, and the last four licks are the new licks which are exclusive to the set, included to get the completists to buy.

So, around twenty bucks for ten new licks, that's two dollars a lick. No thanks.

Not bad for fans looking to get into the Stones, though--an even better introduction to them than Hot Rocks 1964-1971, I'd venture.

MattCPT

Stunt Coordinator
I'm very disapointed with "Forty Licks" not being SACD. I love the Stones but have never bought any of their music. I do have most of it on mp3. I recently bought a SACD player and new receiver. You can imagine how excited I was to hear that all the recent re-masters are hybrids. Unfortunately all the songs I love are on Forty Licks (with the exception of songs like "She's so cold") and they're not in SACD.

I have two questions;

1- Is there a chance that Forty Licks will come out in SACD format in the next year?

2- If I buy Forty Licks as I plan on doing, would the improvements in sound make Hot Rocks (SACD) worth buying even though the songs are on Forty Licks?

DanaA

Screenwriter
FYI, when I went to Best Buys, both the cardboard and the regular were marked at something like $24. I had the clerk scan both and both came up the same price, so I chose the cardboard. Never saw anything near a poster with it. Wonder if the booklet is the same. If not, the only difference is the cardboard sleeve.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
my final addendum to the forty licks story.
i went to another borders just to see if anything was different. the second borders had a price of 22.99! that's three dollars more than the first borders i went to. also, their elv1s was a dollar more expensive. so, it appears borders pricing is not cosistent.
anyway, i got the cardboard one and am now a happy camper. i haven't had a chance to listen yet though.
matt - your comprehensive analysis of dollars per lick cracked me up. taken in any other context... :)
dana - you didn't pay more than 18 bucks right? i know the label said 24, but it's on sale - assuming best buy stores are consistent...unlike borders!

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
MattCPT asked:

2- If I buy Forty Licks as I plan on doing, would the improvements in sound make Hot Rocks (SACD) worth buying even though the songs are on Forty Licks?
Since you have an SACD player, you should pick up Hot Rocks 1964-1971. The SACD layer is noticeably better than the CD layer. The Stones on SACD is a real experience. Highly recommended.

All,

Pricing issues aside, this thing with the two versions of Forty Licks is odd. Perhaps the version in the cardboard sleeve comes with a deluxe booklet (e.g., more text and more photos). Strange.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
I just searched around the web for more information on Forty Licks, looking specifically for anything on a special edition. CDNOW only shows one version available for $22.49. Amazon only shows one version available for $23.99. Here is what Amazon says about Forty Licks:
36 remastered Classics and 4 New Licks including "Don't Stop' on 2 cds.
Plus Full-color Limited Edition 18" x 24" Vintage Band Poster and 12'x 12' Collector's Booklet expanded with Exclusive Historic Photographs
LP style box with a lift off lid.
Based on this, I am guessing that for some reason or another, the standard version comes with or without the cardboard sleeve. It also seems that Best Buy, Circuit City, and Borders have not received the limited edition.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
Based on this, I am guessing that for some reason or another, the standard version comes with or without the cardboard sleeve. It also seems that Best Buy, Circuit City, and Borders have not received the limited edition.
i think that's exactly the case keith. however, at 15 bucks more than the "regular" edition, i'm keepin' the one i have. besides, i figure with all the money i've spent on gas drivin' around and the time i've spent on the road, i've already added at least 5 bucks to the cost of this one! heh! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinman11201
Recent bookmarks
SVS Outlet Sale