What's new

Great stuff on sale at Best Buy and Circuit City this week (9/29-10/5). (1 Viewer)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
In perusing the Best Buy flier in the Sunday paper, I found some great CDs on sale. Check this out:

* Rolling Stones Forty Licks, $17.99 (2 CDs; available Tuesday, 10/1)

* Diana Krall Live in Paris, $11.99 (available Tuesday, 10/1)

* Sting & The Police The Very Best of Sting & The Police, $11.99 (remastered, available Tuesday, 10/1)

* Peter Gabriel Shaking the Tree: 16 Golden Greats, $11.99

* Bob Marley Legend, $11.99

* Cat Stevens The Very Best of Cat Stevens, $11.99

* U2 The Best of 1980-1990, $11.99

The Circuit City flier from today also shows Forty Licks for $17.99 and the Diana Krall CD for $11.99. Also, Circuit City is advertising a limited edition of Forty Licks for $24.99. The flier says of the limited edition, "special packaging includes poster and collector's booklet". Finally, Circuit City is advertising the Stones Beggar's Banquet and Let It Bleed hybrids for $11.99 each.

Cool stuff cheap! In my opinion, the Best Buy and Circuit City fliers rarely advertise so much good stuff on sale.

Bill cc

Agent
Nice price on the Stones SACD's

BTW.. whats the difference between 40 Licks and the original appearances of the songs? Are they remastered, and is it a hybird too ?

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
Do you know anything about the track listing for the Diana Krall? Is it identical to the tracks that are on the DVD?

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Marty, the link below has the track listing for the Diana Krall Live in Paris CD. I don't have the DVD, so I don't know how the track lists compare.
Link Removed

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Will, well, we are talking about new or newer titles here. Older albums tend to be cheaper, though it depends on the artist. Regardless, CD prices are too high. Best Buy had the new remaster of Peter Gabriel So for $9.99 about a month ago, so I went to pick it up. It's a good thing it was on sale because the sticker price is $15.99, which is more than I would ever pay for it, especially considering that I have the original version.

I remember back in 1993, my first year in grad. school, when Best Buy had top-40 CDs for $9.99. Those were the days.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
i'm so gonna get the stones compilation. :emoji_thumbsup: thanks for the tip keith.
btw - any word on the quality of this release? any complaints from anyone? not that it matters much to me, i'm still gonna get it! :)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Ted, no problem. I have not yet heard a word about the sound quality on Forty Licks. Of course, it isn't out yet, but a ten-track promo disc has been out for awhile. I haven't heard comments about the sound quality on the promo disc either.
I was at a Borders store today, and they had a cart filled with CDs behind the customer service counter in the music department. The top of the cart was covered with tape and a sign that said, "Do not put out until tomorrow." Of course, half the top shelf of the cart was filled with both the regular and deluxe editions of Forty Licks. The lady behind the counter let me look at a copy, but she could not sell it to me. Oh well. By the way, Borders will have both versions of Forty Licks on sale tomorrow for $22.99.
Finally, this Borders store had a stand-up display advertising Forty Licks. Since Forty Licks won't be out until tomorrow, they had the display filled with ABCKO remastered disc (SACD/CD hybrids). The display is meant to be filled with copies of Forty Licks, and it mentions the ABCKO remasters. It says that there are 22 remastered CDs. Of course, there is no mention of SACD compatibility whatsoever. :frowning:

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Ted, I mentioned in my initial post that the Circuit City flier in Sunday's paper mentions a special package for Forty Licks that includes a poster and collector booklet. Circuit City will have the standard edition for $17.99 and the special edition for $24.99. At Borders, I saw two different versions of Forty Licks on that cart. One was in a standard jewel case, and the other was in a cardboard sleeve. The lady behind the counter handed me the one in the cardboard sleeve. There was a sticker on the front that seemed to give some information about the special package, but most of the sticker was obscured by the price tag. All I can say is that if there is a poster in there, it must be pretty small. Perhaps the special package has a thicker booklet than the standard jewel case. Anyway, look for the version in the cardboard sleeve. As I said, the lady at Borders told me that both versions will be $22.99 tomorrow.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
No problem, Ted. If you do pick up Forty Licks, let us know how you like it. I will not be picking it up tomorrow because I've been buying way too much music lately. I've been buying Miles Davis CDs like they are going out of style. :) Anyway, I would love to hit the local Best Buy tomorrow and pick up Forty Licks and the Peter Gabriel and Sting/Police compilations on sale, but I've got to hold back. As it is, I may hit a local Wal-Mart and pick up the new E1vis disc for $9.84. :)
NP: Stevie Ray Vaughan and Double Trouble Couldn't Stand the Weather (original CD release; catalog number EK 39304)

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
Keith,
Thanks for the link. It looks like the only new cut on this CD is the last cut. If you are a Diana Krall fan, you should check out the Live DVD.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
No, it says there is also the cover of Fly Me to the Moon which was not present on the DVD, in addition to the last track, a cover of Billy Joel's Just the Way You Are I'm going to have to go pick this one up. I completely agree that Diana Krall fans should pick up the DVD, it is stunning.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
. If you do pick up Forty Licks, let us know how you like it
will do. i'm definitely gonna get it. the only other stones cd i have is 'hot rocks', so this will be a nice addition. i'll be curious to see how the new releases compares to hot rocks.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Marty said:

If you are a Diana Krall fan, you should check out the Live DVD.
Well, I am becoming a Diana Krall fan. Thus far, I have The Look of Love and When I Look in Your Eyes on CD and am waiting for Love Scenes from BMG. I like what I have heard thus far.

Ted,

I assume you have the original version of Hot Rocks on CD. You should pick up the remastered version, which is an SACD/CD hybrid set. The SACD layer is phenomenal, but the CD layer is a definite improvement over the original release.

Todd Stout

Screenwriter
I picked up Forty Licks in the cardboard sleeve at Circuit City today for $17.99 assuming it was the deluxe version. The shrinkwrap even says "Limited Collector's Edition" on it (The version without the cardboard sleeve didn't say that). After opening it up, I can't see anything that makes it any different than the regular edtiton except the cardboard sleeve. I didn't get a poster or collector's booklet. Those were the only two versions the local Circuit City had so there may be a third version out there.

Todd Stout

Screenwriter
I figured Circuit City had just mispriced the the deluxe version or something. The sticker price on it was actually $24.99. Oh well...

The UPC on the cardboard sleeve is the same as the one on the jewel case itself:

7 2438-13378-2 0

There is a rather thick booklet in the jewel case but I don't see a poster.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trackername123
Recent bookmarks