What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Graphics card fans (1 Viewer)

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
So I noticed that my computer was running much louder than usual the other day, in a loud mechanical "motor that isn't happy" kind of way. At first it sounded like the hard drive, which would have been an extraordinarily bad thing. I come to find out though that it's not the hard drive, CPU fan, or case fan, but the little fan on my video card (an old Radeon 7500). Now, this isn't the first time I've had one of these fans go like this (the last video card fan did the same thing)-are these things just not made to last more than 2 years?

I'd rather not pay to replace the card right now, since it still works and I haven't really played a PC game in over a year (since Morrowind actualy). Can just unplugging the fan actually fry the card? Will the ATI chips clock themselves down (like the p4s) if they're running too hot, or will they just burn out? Yes, I know I can get something much better than what I have for a lot less (even one of the knock off ATI cards would be better) but at this point it's the principle of the thing! $150 that I don't spend on my computer is 3 Xbox games!

Mary M S

Screenwriter
Can just unplugging the fan actually fry the card? If it was meant to run with cooling at min. I would think you would get irratic behavior and at worst; a fry.

I almost lost my CPU this week. I have 6 fans in my case had one clanking on startup and did not even check to see which one. Turned out it was THE one. (CPU) If it had gone I would have fried in seconds. We replaced it this weekend. Can replacements be had for the fan on the video card? Its prob just a standard miniture. Don't unplug it, aquire a new one. Power down and replace it. Prob a 12 to 10$ item.

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
not sure about your particular card, but i had a geforce 3 ti200, and i went inside my case for some reason, and i noticed the fan had completely stopped turning. it was difficult to turn, i knew the fan was toast, so i just unplugged it and took it off the heatsink, and it has been running fine ever since. be careful though, you may end up ruining your card, i dont know how dependent it is on the fan for cooling or how hot it runs.

CJ

Ken Chui

Supporting Actor

What about replacing only the fan? Not sure what the dimensions are for the R7500 fan are (I assume it's a third-party card?), but seeing as cooling fans come in a multitude of sizes, I would think that finding a replacement fan online shouldn't run more than a few dollars w/ shipping.

If your card doesn't come with a heatsink attached, i.e. relies strictly on the fan for cooling the GPU, a number of potential scenarios could emerge: a) overheating the GPU could result in glitchy performance during use, b) shortening the lifespan of your GPU, or c) frying the GPU, thus rendering the video card useless. It's unlikely that the GPU will clock itself down, given the age of the hardware in question.

You can opt for a new R7500 card, but that will run ~$40-50 (w/ shipping) if bought online.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RobertTheBob
Recent bookmarks
SVS Outlet Sale