What's new

UHD Review A Few Words About A few words about...™ - HALO: Season One -- in 4k UHD (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I'm not certain how to relate to HALO, as I don't believe I ever played the game, and if I did probably wasn't very good at it.

But I wanted to see what Paramount had done with the streaming series, that if readers are unaware is based upon a series of video games of high regard.

In the 4k UHD world, there have been some extremely good releases - Westworld and Game of Thrones come to mind.

HALO (I believe that all caps are proper?) was shot and finished in 4k, so it's the real thing, and for those who are fans, it will be of higher quality than what you've been streaming. It's a handsome set of discs, priced for pre-release at $50 for five discs, and a total running time of 455 minutes. That works out to a bit under 11 cents per minute, which is less than the typical Uber ride to an airport.

For packaging collectors, the set is contained in a beautifully produced steelbook case with artwork on the obverse and some sort of icon on the reverse, which viewers will probably recognize.

If you're a fan of the series, and are quality conscious...

Image - 5 (HDR)

Audio – 5 (Dolby Atmos)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Plays nicely with projectors - Yes

Makes use of and works well in 4k - 5

Recommended for quality. I'm unable to speak to the content, but IGN the reigning gaming site seems to like it.

RAH

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate, HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Jerry, so it's worth finishing the season? I was watching it and was intrigued, but it started to lose some steam with me around the same time my life got crazy. I may have more time over the holidays to watch stuff and if it ended well, I will pick it up again. No pressure @jayembee but its fate is in your hands. :lol:

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
While I thought it was worth finishing the season, I offer no money-back guarantees. ;)

While I don't search out things with Pablo Schreiber, I've liked him in other things, and he manages to do a lot with a little as Master Chief. And I also like the character of Kwan Ha. The odd thing is that the two actors that I'm most familiar with -- Nastascha McElhone and Bokeem Woodbine -- aren't doing their best work.

The only problem I have with the series in general is a lot of the combat scenes look too much like first-person-shooter game footage. I know. What a shock.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
While I thought it was worth finishing the season, I offer no money-back guarantees. ;)

While I don't search out things with Pablo Schreiber, I've liked him in other things, and he manages to do a lot with a little as Master Chief. And I also like the character of Kwan Ha. The odd thing is that the two actors that I'm most familiar with -- Nastascha McElhone and Bokeem Woodbine -- aren't doing their best work.

The only problem I have with the series in general is a lot of the combat scenes look too much like first-person-shooter game footage. I know. What a shock.
Keep in mind, the film was designed for the small screen. I keep needing to remind myself of that fact with this and other TV / streaming productions. And then other works for the small screen do well in this regard.

Wondering how well Last of Us will play.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks