What's new

Grapes of Wrath on DVD!!! (1 Viewer)

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Only because I have a lot of them [Hitchcock titles] on video and don't have the money to replace them with DVDs all at once... but believe me, I want to.
Did you know about the recent Universal price drops on many Hitch Classics?

Psycho, Vertigo, The Birds, & Rear Window all now have a tempting $13.99 price tag at DDD. (About half what they were previously.)

Any new word on DVDs of "Dial M" and "The Wrong Man"?

Joel Vardy

Supporting Actor
The major restoration for Bringing Up Baby in Region 1 seems to have been going on for ages (a couple of years !)along with most of the rest of the RKO films. The Europeans (France and Germany) don't seem to have any qualms about releasing quite respectable (not flawless) DVDs of Baby and its coming to the UK in November from Universal who seem to own the rights here. There is quite a respectable DVD of The African Queen in Region 2 with a commentary by cinematographer Jack Cardiff.
I don't understand the reluctance of studios to release classics to R1 when they are quite willing to do it for parts of the world where these films are foreign content. I realize that in many instances it would be nice to release a beautifully restored print/transfer but it seems odd that these are films held in high esteem around the globe yet R1 is the last to get attention. There is at least one classic that is of 'poor' quality yet got a R1 release -- Double Indemnity. It speaks poorly of the US market if R2/R3/R4 audiences are seen as more sophisticated and able to absorb less than perfect releases for the sake of at least having the best available classic content on their shelves until a full restoration is available.

Joel

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Or the studios read this forum and see very critical comments even for such excellent dvd presentations as "Citizen Kane", "The Adventures of Robin Hood", "The Treasure of the Sierra Madre" and "The Lion King" for example.

Crawdaddy

Joel Vardy

Supporting Actor
Or the studios read this forum and see very critical comments even for such excellent dvd presentations as "Citizen Kane", "The Adventures of Robin Hood", "The Treasure of the Sierra Madre" and "The Lion King" for example.
Perhaps, but I recall quite a few 'critical' comments from online critics across the 'pond' as well. I do not pay that much attention to the hypercritical comments from the films you cite (all of which I have either already purchased or will do so upon release). I would think the studios have thicker skin than that...

Joel

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
I have never been able to figure this out. I used to collect 16mm prints, and the cost for one of those was a hundred dollars or much more(depending on the film), and rarely did I ever see a print that looks as good as a DVD transfer from a major studio. Then I went to laser, which looked pretty darn good during its heyday, but still cost a lot more than DVD does now, especially for a box set that contained the same extras we routinely see on major DVD releases today for twenty bucks or less.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks