What's new

Grand Wega - Does it need calibration? (1 Viewer)

Jon Krangel

Stunt Coordinator
We recently bought a Grand Wega, and after hooking up the Hughes E86, all we can say is WOW! Prior to making the purchase, all of the negative comments about the GW made me think that I'd need calibration, but after seeing it in my home, I'm not so sure it needs it. Gregg Loewen quoted me for ~$350 total for a pretty thourough calibration. Do you think it is worth it? Even the black levels I have found very good on this set, and I find that I am having trouble telling to the others in the family (as well as myself) that this awe inspiring picture can get better.

BTW - Gregg told me that he could not help NTSC sources (cable/sat), which, while perfectly understandable, signifigantly detracts from the value of the calibration IMO, essp if it looks this good to out of the box.

On a related note, is it possible for me to self calibrate this set with Avia? I think I remember reading somewhere that Avia only works on CRT based devices.

Thanks

Kevin P

Screenwriter
Yes, you can calibrate LCD sets such as the Grand Wega with AVIA. The procedure for setting contrast is different on LCD than on CRT; you use the moving white bars on the white level pattern to gauge how high to set contrast on LCD and DLP/DILA sets. But everything else (brightness, sharpness, color, and tint) are set the same way as for CRT and should be calibrated for best results.

An ISF calibrator such as Gregg Loewen can adjust the gray scale to make it more accurate than out of the box as well.

So, to make a long answer short, yes, you can calibrate the Grand Wega.

KJP

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
I don't know what is involved with a "real" calibration on an LCD set, but generally speaking a do-it-yourself tweaking with AVIA is a far cry from a professional calibration. Only you can decide if the money is worth it.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
AVIA is good for calibrating LCD (and otehr projector) displays. Just be sure to follow the instructions exactly and take no shortcuts.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
Also remember when chosing a calibrator. The accuracy with any color analyzer is dependant on having the correct offsets for the particular glass on the monitor (true for LCD based units). Therefor, you cant get an accurate gray scale using a Philips, or a Sencore. You need to use a CA-1 AND the appropriate offset file.

FWIW,

BTW, the price was $275 plus $50 towards travel (I think?).

Gregg

Jon Krangel

Stunt Coordinator
Yes I know Gregg - believe me - if I do go through with the calibration, there is no question in my mind that I will use you (essp with all of the glowing reviews you get on this and other forums!). I just gave $350 as a rough, as I couldn't remember the exact ammount.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ontocloud9
Recent bookmarks