What's new

Good deal on 61' HDTV from Costco?!? (1 Viewer)

Brian Mansure

Second Unit
I was browsing the Costco website this past weekend and saw this deal:
http://www.costco.com/frameset.asp?t...1&log=&NavTop= 4th item from the top.
My first thought was that there is no way that a 61' Rear Projection HDTV was selling for $1999.99 shipped.
I read more thoroughly and even saw that the shipping is "white glove" meaning a contracted mover will setup the TV in your house which is included in the sale price.
Here's some specs on the HDTV from Sharp's website:
http://www.sharp-usa.com/products/Mo...58,664,00.html
My question is...
Is this one of those to good to be true deals?
Does anybody know of major issues with Sharp HD RPTVs?
I did read a few complaints about the vertical/horizontal lines but it sounds like Sharp knows about it and is trying to correct the problem when encountered.
Any opinions on Sharp HD RPTVs?
I've seen a few and always thought the picture was just as good if not better than higher priced well-known makers but was never sure about reliability and quality of Sharp televisions.
Thanks,
Brian

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Brad_V

Second Unit
Sharps have awesome pictures, as you know. If you're looking for a big 16:9 HD, sounds like a heck of a deal to me. I'd take the Sharp picture over the Toshiba, and the best price I've seen on the 50h81 on closeout is 2k at Sears, and that's 11" smaller.

BruceSpielbauer

Second Unit
Right now it is a buyer's market if you look at "last year's" models in many makes. Thus, you CAN actually purchase a 65" Toshiba, and several other highly respected makes for right around $2K. How are your negotiating skills?

If I could purchase the 65 " Mits 65819 for $2600 back in June, and other users have reported $2350 and 2300 for the same model in July and August(after careful negotiation), think about your options. Also, users have reported purchasing the 65" Toshiba "X" series for $2200 recently, and the "lower end" (non x series) for $2100 and $2000. Both, of these brands, in my opinion, are in an entirely different league than the Sharp. Dealers are selling these off, because the new sets have begun arriving. Take advantage of this. You can do better than the Sharp for $2000 (in my humble opinion).

Bruce in Chi-Town

Brian Mansure

Second Unit
Thanks for the replies fellas.

Actually I would love to purchase a new TV especially a new RP HDTV but this ones for a friend. He asked me to help him find the biggest HDTV that will fit in his rec room and his budget. The deal at costco for a 61 inch HDTV ready RPTV seamed like a deal right up his alley.
I just wasn't sure of any potential "issues" with the Sharp RPTVs or the reliability of their sets.
Personally I've always liked the picture quality of both direct view and most RPTVs from Sharp especially seeing that they are usually priced a few hundred less than well known makers stuff.
Any more suggestions or opinions please feel free to add to this thread.

Brian

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunday Billy
Recent bookmarks