What's new

Gift for a great woman you don't know too well, but would like to? (1 Viewer)

Bill_D

Supporting Actor
Anders, why would you beat him up? He did not hurt you. He did not choose to potentially destroy your relationship. SHE did. She knows you. She has seen you vulnerable. She knows how much she means to you. If she still goes for another man in that situation, then she is the one hurting you. The other guy is just, for lack of a better term, trying to get laid. Why don't you beat her up instead? That would be more logical, although spineless.
We all know that he would go straight to jail for beating her up but there are not many juries with the appropriate composition that would convict him for giving the other guy his beating .... and hers too.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
but there are not many juries with the appropriate composition that would convict him for giving the other guy his beating
I'd convict anyone who did that. It really wasn't in self-defense and the law is the law, stealing another mans woman (while being unethical) is not illegal, but beating the crap out of someone is.

I hardly think the defense "He/She deserved it" would hold up in a court of law, and the jury is not there to pass moral judgement, they're there to distinguish between right and wrong (in the legal sense of the word).

Bill_D

Supporting Actor
Unfortunately Mark you can't convict anyone by yourself. And, the first question the opposing attorney would ask is your marital status before he struck you from the jury.

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter
Well Mark, I agree with you that anyone beating the hell out of someone else ought to have the book thrown at them. However, Bill makes a great point - it may be a little difficult to get a conviction, depending on the circumstances. If I caught my wife in bed with another man, I'd like to say that I would smile, tell them to have fun, pack my stuff and leave. But who knows what I'd really to. I totally understand the urge to beat the hell out of him in that situation.

I've got to say, if I was on a jury during a trial for someone who did this, I'd have a lot of sympathy for the guy. I'd have no sympathy for the guy who took the beating. I think the vast majority of married men would feel the same way.

Now, finding out about the affair (not catching them in the act) and hunting the guy down, that's a different story. Even though the outcome is the same (guy A beats guy B), the circumstances are different, and I'd have much less sympathy for the aggressor in this type of situation.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
and I'd have much less sympathy for the aggressor in this type of situation
Exactly why 'sympathy' has no place in a court of law (I know a lot of judges that agree with this statement) and they make it a point to tell the jury NOT to let their feelings influence their decisions.

Again, I'm not saying the guy doesn't 'deserve' it, I'm just saying that it's perfectly legal and anyone who feels the need to take the law into their own hands is just asking for more anguish added on top of the anguish he's already experiencing.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Bill, honestly after reading your posts I would say it is you who doesn't have a very good understanding of the legal system.

Of course we could be arguing over the definition of "beat up" but rest assured that if the guy who took the beating required medical attention it is very rare that "beater" walks away without some sort of prosecution for assault and battery.
At best, and this is an extreme case, the prosecutor would negotiate a misdemeanor plea of disorderly conduct and a fine and then apologize for such stiff penalties and offer a hug of support.
If you really believe this then perhaps you should consider rejoining the rest of us in the real world. That kind of stuff you describe only happens in bad TV movies of the week.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks