What's new

Ge D40gw10 (1 Viewer)

Alan Gordon

Auditioning
Hi,

I'm planning on buying a HDTV Widescreen in the next few months (I watch A LOT of DVDs) and my local stations have started broadcasting in Hi-Def. Our local Circuit City has started selling this TV at their store for $1299 with a $75.00 Gift Card (which is just like giving me $75.00 considering Circuit City has the best deals on DVDs where I live), and was wondering what anyone could tell me about this set? Does anyone have one? Know someone that has one? Know anything about this TV at all?! Thanks in advance.

JackS

Supporting Actor
I've seen this set up and runnng at CC and the HD picture was very nice. I know next to nothing about HD televisions but I seem to remember this set will not do the 3/2 pulldown function. Maybe unimportant using an adiquate DVD player that does have the function, but not sure about OTA, STB or HD cable when watching films. Check it out further in the store before taking my word for it, I could be giving you advise that has absolutly no relavence to the performance of this set.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
GE televisions are the entry level line from Thomson Electronics, makers of RCA.

RCA and other Thomson televisions have among the worst reliability in the industry according to Consumer Reports' frequency of repair data.

Panasonic, Toshiba, Mitsubishi, Hitachi, and Sony all make widescreen sets in this size range that are priced only a couple or 3 hundred more, do have 3/2 pulldown, and better reliability.

Alan Gordon

Auditioning
Just out of curiosity, when a Toshiba says that they are "DVI-Upgradable", what does that mean, and do you have to pay extra to "upgrade"?

Jan Strnad

Screenwriter
It means you can pay money for an add-on if they decide to make one. :)
Pardon my cynicism, but until something ships with a price tag, I don't count on it.
Jan

Alan Gordon

Auditioning
Thanks, I was wondering about that. I like the Toshiba 50 inch and the Hitach 51UWX20B over the rest that I have seen (in my price range), but I suspect that the Hitachi will take another price cut in the next 3 to 6 weeks, so I might postpone buying my set until then....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks