What's new

Gaming Console Question (1 Viewer)

SamSS

Auditioning
I own a PS2 and a gamecube and was wondering if most receivers have the capability of running these both on surround sound. If not, what kind of inputs does a receiver need so i can have both of these surround sound ready without having to unplug them. Also, i know gamecube runs on Dolby Pro Logic 2, but does anyone know what PS2 runs on? Thanks

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Almost all of these systems can produce stereo, which your reciever can decode into prologic or use DSP modes to give you surround sound.

The more modern game systems also offer either a optical or coaxial-digital connection which if you have a spare input on your reciever can give you everything from 1.0 - 5.1 sound.

So you need a reciever with at least 2 spare digital inputs.

Check your local game store for the cables. For example, my XBox only offers optical, I dont know about the PS2 or GameCube.

Radio Shack has a small converter that can be used if say your reciever only has a optical input and one of your game systems offers only coaxial. The converter takes care of it for you.

I'm going to move your post to the Gaming Hardware where more of the experts hang out.

Enjoy your stay.

ZoranM

Stunt Coordinator
My xboxes offers optical outs after I bought the advanced AV packs for them, and my PS2 has an optical out on the back of the actual machine for digital output. As for Gamecube can't help you there.

cheers,

Zed

Kyle-K

Stunt Coordinator
As for the Gamecube... there is no digital audio outputs. For surround sound you just use the L/R output. For pro logic 2, your receiver must be able to process it... otherwise the best you will get is plain 'ol pro logic.

hope it helps,
--kyle

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks