What's new

Furnace filter question (1 Viewer)

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Forced air gas furnace but metal pre-filters before the air enters the electronic "zappers". They're not like regular replaceable filters I could get at the hardware store.

Lots of trouble cleaning the pre-filters. I have a black lab so lots of hair sucked in. Wash/rinse, wash/rinse, vacuum, etc. still a lot of hair.

Is there a product that would dissolve the hair so I could get them totally clean?

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
Stan said:
Forced air gas furnace but metal pre-filters before the air enters the electronic "zappers". They're not like regular replaceable filters I could get at the hardware store.

Lots of trouble cleaning the pre-filters. I have a black lab so lots of hair sucked in. Wash/rinse, wash/rinse, vacuum, etc. still a lot of hair.

Is there a product that would dissolve the hair so I could get them totally clean?
My HVAC tech recommended this:

http://www.amazon.com/Foam-Coil-Cleaner-Evaporator-Condesor/dp/B007I7KZN0/ref=sr_1_1/180-2065319-6750742?ie=UTF8&qid=1442364480&sr=8-1&keywords=ac+coil+cleaner+foam

Seems to work for me.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
We have the same setup, different dog :) I just vacuum the initial filter (almost looks like the grease trap filter on a range hood) and then use Krud Kutter (avail at Lowes, maybe Home Depot and spray it on that and the electrostatic filter, letting it sit and then hosing it off. Rinse and repeat, until the water is no longer grey/black. There is always a bit of hair caught in the first filter. I'm too lazy to try to get it all out, but I get 95%.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Ditto, but when they replaced our system years ago, the tech said my indoor return was too "small" so he up'd it to a 20" x 30" return. Well, that's great, more air movement...but the local stores (Lowes/Ace/Home Depot etc) didn't get the memo and they rarely if ever carry that size. If I get lucky and find them, I grab up a dozen or so to last me for a while.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I have the metal prefilters at the main house. Great. Easy to clean. That is with 3 dogs(that weigh a combined 15lbs) and 2 cats.

I am replacing the furnace at the other house before long(won't produce heat...so no huge hurry, yet) and putting in the metal filter. That house has two other cats(same litter as the two at the other house). This house is..."have cats...or a mouse problem..."

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Adam Gregorich said:
We have the same setup, different dog :) I just vacuum the initial filter (almost looks like the grease trap filter on a range hood) and then use Krud Kutter (avail at Lowes, maybe Home Depot and spray it on that and the electrostatic filter, letting it sit and then hosing it off. Rinse and repeat, until the water is no longer grey/black. There is always a bit of hair caught in the first filter. I'm too lazy to try to get it all out, but I get 95%.
Thanks for the advice. Never heard of Krud Kutter but sounds like it will solve my problem.

The main issue is the prefilters. The electrostatic ones I just toss in the dishwasher a few times a year (lazy, but it works) :)

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I also use 20x30 and rarely have a problem finding them at either Kroger or Walmart. Lowes and Home Depot here do not carry that size.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gigaspin88
Recent bookmarks