What's new

Fugitive comes to DVD in a 33 disc set on Nov. 1st 2011 (1 Viewer)

Walsh61

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Garth Lough
Ken the only thing I can tell you is I bought a set from Amazon when they first came out and it had the five bad discs. When CBS began offering the replacement discs I called the number and ordered them. When those discs arrived they all played fine and I haven't experienced any problems since other than needing to clean my player from time to time. It's hard to believe anybody would get that many bad sets with so many problems.

rebar

Auditioning
Real Name
ken
Hey guys; thanks. Ah, I forgot to mention my players; thanks for the thought. As it is, I have 3 players, all alive for less than 5 years, and on which all other discs play normally. I also have 3 computers (all acquired in the last 2 years; 2 Dells & 1 HP) on whose drives the discs w/problems have also been tested. In my mind, hardware-as-explanation is def. out.

Walsh, exactly; almost more than hard to believe - if I hadn't experienced it myself, I wouldn't believe it. But let me clarify that when I said "multiple" problem discs on the sets I've gotten, I was referring to an overall pattern of getting some bad discs (but always more than one) in addition to the well-known 5, rather than suggesting a large number of discs in each set. For example, the one I just returned had 'only' 2 discs in addition to the 5 that were deal-breakers for me.

As for your own experience falling right into the seemingly normal pattern I've observed this whole time, that's Just the source of my confusion and frustration - you're precisely the kind of normal/lucky/whatever S.O.B. (JK!) I so envy in this whole thing, and whose experience makes me question my freaking sanity. That's why I said things like 'in the wilderness', and talked about confusion and being unable to connect. I'm just freaking lost.

Thanks again for the communication, guys.

stevelecher

Supporting Actor
Real Name
steve
Yes, Walsh 61. When people would say they were going to wait and just buy a perfect set later, I wondered how long it would take, if ever, to know you were going to get that perfect set. I always advised, get the set now, while replacement discs are easily available, and get the replacements. Glad I did that.

Are replacement discs still available? It is amazing that a set with defective discs would not be recalled by the manufacturer and that these bad sets are still in the marketplace. I have not heard of problems on any of the episodes not covered by the replacement discs.

derosa

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Grant
stevelecher said:
Are replacement discs still available? It is amazing that a set with defective discs would not be recalled by the manufacturer and that these bad sets are still in the marketplace. I have not heard of problems on any of the episodes not covered by the replacement discs.
The latest feedback i read from Amazon was from a customer who purchased the set at the end of June,
(about 6 weeks ago) and had ordered the set of 5 replacement discs, having corresponded by email
after sending in their disc number from the set.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
Some of the problems that "rebar" is mentioning may not have been tested by very many people. How many of us have occasion to fast-forward our episodes? Are we sure we don't have some of these problems too and just haven't noticed them.

I can certainly say truthfully that I've not watched every episode in the MOST WANTED set. After watching them all as the half-season sets came out, I'm just beginning to approach a "safe-distance" from having seen them and will want to go through them all again. For now, since receiving the set, I've only occasionally watched an episode or two, skipping around to see a particular guest star or something.

My history with the MOST WANTED set is a bit backwards from most. When announced, I was rather vocal in my disappointment that those of us who bought the wayward-music half-seasons were basically shoved aside and told "Buy 'em all again," something I didn't want to do in my early stages of retirement from work. So after the replacement program for the errant five discs was in full force, I called the number, without owning the MOST WANTED set, and gave them the UPCs and disc hub numbers they asked for - playing dumb the whole time - and receiving the five discs in the mail.

My thought process was that at least I'd get an upgrade on two or three of the discs that would now have corrected music. I was so impressed with the quality of those, that I scraped together the finds to get the full set.

Today I'm still the proud owner of not only the MOST WANTED set, but all of the half-season sets are still around here too - including two versions of Season Two Volume One - one with all replaced music and one with much fixed music. I also have two copies of Season Four Volume Two due to an Amazon screw-up where they told me to just keep the extra one.

Next time I put an episode on, I'll try some fast forwarding and chapter skipping to see if there are any problems.

Harry

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
By the way, I apparently DID check into what "rebar" had mentioned back on page 106. My results are posted right after his post. It would seem I noticed the "layer change effect" at the end of "Paper Wrapper" but couldn't replicate the problem with the other episode he mentioned.

I haven't watched either full episode in the past year.

Harry

rebar

Auditioning
Real Name
ken
Hey Harry; thanks for the input. That's right, you discovered at least the one instance of bad disc behavior apart from the known problems w/the Five. Good to hear from you again.

One of the reasons I'm always fast-forwarding thru DVDs is that w/every set I receive, I immediately (attempt to - sometimes it doesn't work) scan thru all discs to ensure their playability. In general, if a disc will scan thru smoothy and without pause, it'll also play without error in real time.

I don't know if you're aware of the number of tv-on-dvd sets that are now out of print and commanding impossibly high prices on the used market, but it's high. One example of many I could provide:

http://www.amazon.com/Banacek-Complete-Box-George-Peppard/dp/B001AYMMO2/ref=sr_1_2?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1407599847&sr=1-2&keywords=banacek

Pretty scary; it was once dirt cheap, and if you missed it, or need to buy it again, unless you're really comfortable, it's gonna Hurt. So I think it's a good idea to make sure that the sets we buy actually work, from the first ep. the the last, so as to not be caught w/our pants down 2 years from now, when we pull out a disc to watch a certain show we have a sudden urge to see, find the disc is inoperable, and a replacement for it on the market to be either out of reach, price-wise, or just plain unavailable. This stuff will eventually disappear.

But some of what you say confirms my impression that part of the explanation of what's happened w/me & this set is the result of what is probably my (to some degree) unusual attention to detail/unhealthy preoccupation with perfection in an imperfect world, etc.

But whatever are my little issues doesn't change the fact that what should work, should work. We're all old enough guys to know that, among other things, Craft has gone to hell in this country, nobody seeming to care anymore about doing it right, and taking pride in what they make and sell. We've all accepted that, but in this case, the Fugitive being my all-time thing, I just can't let it go. I need my set of this show, of all shows, to be at least freaking functional, if not perfect.

In any case, those are all just the ghosts of the situation, moving-the-wind-around-type stuff. I should reiterate for anyone else that might be reading that my main goal is to find out where I can get a corrected set w/the yellow sticker over the UPC code. I've been unable to find a retailer on my own, so if one of the owners of the yellow sticker version will tell me just where they bought it, that'll give me my next step. Thanks again to all.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
rebar said:
I should reiterate for anyone else that might be reading that my main goal is to find out where I can get a corrected set w/the yellow sticker over the UPC code. I've been unable to find a retailer on my own, so if one of the owners of the yellow sticker version will tell me just where they bought it, that'll give me my next step. Thanks again to all.
I got mine from Amazon but obviously I can't say that every copy they sell will have the yellow sticker.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
On an old matter - the syndication version of THE FUGITIVE - I had occasion last night to watch part of the MeTV showing of the episode, "Nemesis". One of the favorites from early in Season Two, this is the one with Gerard's son, played by young Kurt Russell.

In every scene I was able to watch, it seemed like all original music. Since this was one of the episodes on the recalled S2V1 set, it had three versions, the original one with fully replaced score, the replaced one with most of Rugolo and more restored, and the full restoration of score on the MOST WANTED set.

We'd had a discussion here a while back as to what version MeTV would air, and I think the conclusion was that they were airing the total Heyes-botched version. Maybe my recollection on that is wrong - I don't usually watch THE FUGITIVE on MeTV as it's on at Midnight here and I'm not usually up at that hour - and why would I watch it anyway with the full DVD sets at my disposal?

Last night I just happened to be up and flicked on the TV to help lull me back to sleep. I saw all of Act IV, the Epilog, and the closing credits. And it was the closing credits that told me what I was really curious about. As you recall, it was the S2V1 credits that were altered in one screen to include Mark Heyes, Sam Winans, and Ron Komie in that first DVD set. The replacement half-season sent out by CBS/P also contained that card even though much of the music reverted to night-of-broadcast status. And of course those discs in the MOST WANTED set reverted to the correct credit screen.

On the MeTV broadcast last night, there was no trace of Heyes that I noticed in the score, and no credit screen for Heyes, Winans, or Komie. So my conclusion is that for broadcast TV, the syndication prints look like they might be back to night of broadcast status. Which brings up the bad news that THE FUGITIVE is leaving MeTV's schedule as of September 1st. It's either gone for good or on moratorium for the fall season. They need to bring it back at a better time of day instead of burying it on Sunday nights, anyway.

Harry

stevelecher

Supporting Actor
Real Name
steve
Hi Harry:

The credits on MeTV do not include the bogus names that were in the credits on our botched S2 episodes. I can definitely tell you that they have been showing the revised, partial music restoration version that we got when we got replacements for S2V1 and then the later half season sets for S2V2 and all of S3.

You saw no problems with Nemesis last night because that was one of the few episodes on that replacement set that was perfectly restored at that time. I remember this clearly because this was the episode I watched when I got that replacement set. The ones more poorly restored have been shown that way on MeTV. I've seen these on MeTV and I've shut them off when Heyes starts blaring out at me.

Apparently, the show will be off the schedule on MeTV after August 31, as you say. MeTV seems to rotate some of these things and it may come back sometime next year. I don't care that much because they do feature Heyes on seasons 2 and 3 and because scenes are cut out so more commercials can be added. Like you, if a good episode is on and I run accross it on a Sunday night, and music's no issue, I've stayed up and watched a couple times. I remember watching Search In A Windy City last time it was on. Much of the scene with Nan Martin bringing Kimble something to eat was cut out that night.

rebar

Auditioning
Real Name
ken
Hi everybody. An update: I discovered that Amazon Canada sells the set through its own retail service, and took that as a possible indication that they have corrected sets. I thought I'd found the answer, so paid up the a-s ($160) for one and hoped for the best.

It arrived yesterday in the most battered-looking box I've ever seen come out the other end of a shipping freakout. It was torn, soiled, and just broken-looking. Inside the insanely oversized shipping box, the set flopped around freely, a lone piece of token-gesture bubble pack lingering off in the corner, useless. The set has major damage, crushed & torn corners on its own box, ripped shrink wrap, various soil marks, etc.

So it's going back w/out being opened, but I wonder if I should return for a replacement, or a refund, because the set has the appearance of being the identical thing I've received each time before this: no sticker over the UPC code, and that clear sticker on the back's bottom that reads, "Disc [sic] made in Mexico". And this is an intangible, but even apart from the shipping damage, it just looks and feels to me like it's one that's been sitting since 2012; it just seems old.

The latest chapter, for what it's worth; maybe I'll hand someone a laugh, or increase their enjoyment of their own set.
And so a fugitive moves on, through anguished tunnels of time, down dim streets, into dark corners...

Walsh61

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Garth Lough
rebar said:
So it's going back w/out being opened, but I wonder if I should return for a replacement, or a refund

The latest chapter, for what it's worth; maybe I'll hand someone a laugh, or increase their enjoyment of their own set.
Well given your track record I'd take the refund.

Nothing you've shared has made me laugh or increased my enjoyment of my own set. The set doesn't need your depressing misfortune to make it any better.

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
I've watched my set twice and have not had any issues with it. I have scanned forward and reverse scanned several episodes and have not experienced any issues. I did check the episode 'In A Plain Paper Wrapper' and my disc has the same layer change in the same place as everyone else. I have had no sound or audio issues with the layer change nor have I had any issues with scanning the episode both forwards and backwards.

At this point, I would say get the set from Amazon or Deep Discount (that's where I got mine) and get the replacement discs before they are gone.

stringbean

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Snorbitz
I decided against importing the 'Most Wanted' set after being made aware by above posts that the sets advertised on Amazon (US), are sold by third party sellers, some being fulfilled by Amazon. Here in the UK, we have season 1 PAL R2 which is fantastic and I'm enjoying these episodes with all their original music. Only season 1 is available in R2 land on PAL format.

I'm deeply upset about the fiasco with the remaining individual sets in the US. I'm too scared to risk purchasing the 'Most Wanted' set from a third party seller via Amazon (US) in case I get a dodgy set. The Most Wanted set would be an import and I do not want to be dealing with any problems I may have trying to get replacement discs sent to the UK, emailing etc etc. Too much hassle.

Is there any likelihood the Fugitive would be picked up by another company and re-released properly in the future? With DVD and physical media in general dying an inevitable slow painful death, the future looks grim for many TV classics from here in England and the US.

Off topic, I've been importing other titles from the US (because they're not available here on R2), Dragnet, Adam-12, Bat Masterson, Sea Hunt, Highway Patrol, Route 66, etc, whilst they're available on proper pressed DVD because once they're out of print and discontinued, who knows if they will ever be re-released again. It will all be digital downloads by then probably.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
It is the set worth purchasing now? I remembering hearing issues as such I cancelled my order. I like to get the show as I made a promised to my friend that passed on that I would watched the final episode of the series. My friend was a huge fan of the Fugitive.

Silverking

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris Street
Like Stringbean I am also in the UK & had the original 1st season which was hassle free. I never got the subsequent sets because of all the problems, which I imagine is why they never continued the releases in the UK. CBS did release quite a few shows over here, Perry Mason 1, 3 seasons of the 'Untouchables' & others but no longer seem to have a presence here.Luckily,thanks to a great friend in the States, actually a regular poster on these forums, I was able to get the 'Most Wanted' set with all the corrected discs.He's also helped me out in getting pressed copies of some of the Warner shows they won't send overseas. I am eternally grateful.Currently still watching 'The Fugitive' at one episode per week as I like to savour it, on S3 at the moment. It is a terrific show & well worth perservering in trying to get in the form it was intended to be seen.

stevelecher

Supporting Actor
Real Name
steve
When the 5 replacement discs were first announced, and a number of posters here wrote that they would wait sometime to buy a "perfect" set and not have to worry about replacements, I remember writing that we might never be able to order the set and comfortably know we wouldn't get a defective set. I never understood the resistance to getting the set right away and ordering the free replacements while they were easily obtainable. If the replacements are still available (I don't even know if they are,) and you want this set, get it now. It's so good and I'm so happy with mine, I just can't recommend it enough. Get going.

phenri

Second Unit
Real Name
Paul
When the 5 replacement discs were first announced, and a number of posters here wrote that they would wait sometime to buy a "perfect" set and not have to worry about replacements, I remember writing that we might never be able to order the set and comfortably know we wouldn't get a defective set. I never understood the resistance to getting the set right away and ordering the free replacements while they were easily obtainable.If the replacements are still available (I don't even know if they are,) and you want this set, get it now. It's so good and I'm so happy with mine, I just can't recommend it enough. Get going.
I completely agree. I received my set as a Christmas gift and immediately ordered the replacement discs. I couldn't be happier with my copy.Problems like this are created by those who hesitate.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
My initial hesitation was caused by the fact that I'd already spent somewhere around $240 for the eight half-season sets over the years that they were spread out. I felt that as a loyal customer of CBS DVD that I deserved a little better treatment than having to buy the whole series all over again, just to get it correct - AND THEN STILL HAVE TO JUMP THROUGH HOOPS TO GET IT REALLY RIGHT!

Sorry for shouting, but it stirs up old, unpleasant passions. After I realized that they had shoved good customers like me aside and that we'd get no fair treatment, that's when I finally sprang for the full set - and had gotten the corrected discs just prior by calling the number and giving them disc-hub numbers from my half-season sets.

So, in a way, I can understand the hesitation some had for wanting it right - with one purchase and no hoops to jump through. Now, though, you've got to wonder if it's not getting near the "too late" side. We know that that happened with the S2V1 replacement program. I don't think there's any way of getting those replaced now.

Harry

nigel19

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
nigel
I recently received a used Most Wanted set of the series from an Amazon seller - but a company rather than an individual.
I've been trying to find a way to see if I have a corrected set . The yellow sticker mentioned earlier is not in place but could easily have been removed .
I've fast forwarded through a couple of episodes I've seen listed as having playback issues but is there just one safe and definite place to look to see if the set is corrected .
Is there just one moment on the set where I can look and know for sure its right or wrong ?

The email address to request replacements that was given by TVshowsondvd seems to be no longer active.

Edit - if the info about the running figure next to the logo is right then I don't have corrected discs . Any idea how I can contact CBS about this? Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.