Fugitive comes to DVD in a 33 disc set on Nov. 1st 2011

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Doug Wallen, Aug 15, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Hollywoodaholic

Hollywoodaholic Edge of Glory?

Wayne
  2. DisneySwan1990

DisneySwan1990 Stunt Coordinator

Sagalina Hazzan
    What about the 2000 short-lived CBS series? I absolutely loved the remake, it was kick-azz, and cinematic, and it had the handsome Tim Daly fighting off a bunch of people, it's too freaking bad CBS had to cancel it because of low rating, wish that show lasted 8 years, and even it would rival 24

3. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Producer

Sam Favate
    The 2000 show has never been available on DVD. I missed it, but would be curious to see it now.

4. ljgranberry

ljgranberry Second Unit

Larry Granberry
    The only thing that would make the complete series set even more perfect (if possible) is for it to be reissued on blu-ray.

5. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Producer

Sam Favate
    Oh, I would definitely get the show on blu-ray.

6. stevelecher

stevelecher Supporting Actor

steve
    In the 2000 CBS show, "The Fugitive" ran into the one armed man a lot more often. It was watchable but it never made you forget David Janssen or the original show.

7. Carabimero

Carabimero Cinematographer
    Supporter

Alan
    One of the nice things about the series with Tim Daily is that the production actually traveled from city to city, wherever Kimble happened to be, so you get a real flavor of the country at that time. The original series rarely traveled much farther than a few miles outside LA. As to how they compare, to me it is no contest: the original series is worth watching for the rest of my life; the Daily series is a novelty, worth seeing definitely once, maybe twice. I have it on DVD, recorded from the original broadcasts, but have never rewatched it.

8. Tina_H_V

Tina_H_V Supporting Actor

Tina
    Interestingly...the pilot to the short-lived Tim Daly-Mykelti Williamson 2000 TV series, which featured Stephen Lang as the One-Armed Man, is available on Blu-ray Disc...as part of the 20th Anniversary release of the 1993 Harrison Ford movie. I finally picked that one up earlier this year and will watch it as part of my birthday celebration soon!!!!

Carabimero likes this.
  9. Duane Alford

Duane Alford Second Unit

I have to consider myself very lucky with the set I got. I bought mine in November 2012 during a one day sale from Deep Discount DVD. Not long afterwards I heard about the problems with the 5 discs. I sat on my set for over a year and finally got to watching it recently. Luckily I have had no problems and am on Disc 3 of the last season now.
    Total blind buy as I've never seen the show before, but am enjoying it.

I remember watching at least one episode of the 2000 show, I liked it, but a Friday night time slot was a guarantee it wouldn't last long. It is ironic that Tim Daly played Kimble, when in the original show, his dad was the one that prosecuted Kimble.

10. Harry-N

Harry-N Cinematographer

Harry N.
    Well, let's see. In that fall of 2000, THE FUGITIVE aired on Friday night on CBS at 8 PM. Immediately following it at 9 PM was another show - that's STILL ON THE AIR. "C.S.I."

It's true that CSI was moved for its second season to Thursday where it survived and thrived for years. THE FUGITIVE was never given that chance.

Harry

11. AndyMcKinney

AndyMcKinney Cinematographer

I think the reason for that is pretty obvious: The Fugitive was produced by Warner Bros, while CSI was produced in-house by CBS, so the network had a financial stake in CSI doing well, while The Fugitive was just a "bought in" show. This kind of favoritism (priority) given to a network's own in-house produced shows goes back a long way.

12. stevelecher

steve
    Well, buying it in November 2012 guarantees that your set has "defective" discs. So you have some music replacements on Iron Maiden and sound synch problems on a couple early episodes. Apparently, these deficiencies didn't bother you. If your disc played all the way through on "Three Cheers For Little Boy Blue," that is extremely unusual.

Glad you've enjoyed my favorite show of all time.

hypnohighball likes this.
  13. Carabimero

Carabimero Cinematographer
    Supporter

Alan
    Duane, if you ever change disc players, you may experience problems with those discs. Strangely enough, all players, like all discs, are not created equally. My advice would be to see if you can still get the 5 replacements for free. Sooner or later, you're probably going to wish you had them.

hypnohighball likes this.
  14. rkofan87

rkofan87 Extra

tyler
    hi I just order this on amazon for 100$ how can I tell if I got a bad set or not?

15. Harry-N

Harry-N Cinematographer

Harry N.
    I watched "The Shattered Silence" this evening, an episode I've not seen more than a couple of times over the forty-odd years. I'm sure I watched it originally on ABC and probably saw it rerun in syndication in the '70s, but never managed ti catch it on tape in the '80s. It was one of nine episodes I was missing. Thus, I was happy to revisit it when the final season came out on DVD.

I'd not watched it again until tonight and noticed a few things I'll detail here.

- What an excellent usage of stock music is present in this episode, from the love theme from OUTER LIMITS "Architects Of Fear" to TWILIGHT ZONE's "Walking Distance"; OUTER LIMITS "Man Who Was Never Born" and Twilight Zone's "Execution." These all fit so well you could swear they were written for THE FUGITIVE.

- The episode plays out like a mini-movie with different sections of sub-plots. First there's the trainyard escape, then you get the story with Antoinette Bower, then Kimble's healing by the old man, and finally the turnabout of Kimble helping the old man.

- I noticed an obvious trade name cover up at the little store. On the outside is a large red sign for "Cardinal Ice Cream". If you look closely you can see the overlay of "...dinal" over the familiar logo of "Carnation".

The episode was directed by Barry Morse, and I felt he did a credible job with it.

Harry

Walsh61 and Carabimero like this.
  16. Brian Himes

Brian Himes Screenwriter

Brian
    Well, since I don't have any new TV on DVD sets to watch right now (or none coming soon), I've started watching The Fugitive again. This will be my second time through the series. I've watched the first three episodes and so far it's just as good as it was the first time.

Gary OS and Walsh61 like this.
  17. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Producer

Sam Favate
    Of course it is. It's one of the greatest shows that's ever been on TV.

18. Gary OS

Gary OS Producer

Gary
    Au contraire. The greatest of all time! :)

Gary "at least for me it's the greatest" O. :D

19. jimmyjet

jimmyjet Producer

my favorite, as well

20. stevelecher

steve
    The show just gets exponentially better after those first three episodes. I'm midway into season two with my latest viewing of the series from beginning to end. My favorite show ever and this hard fought for box set from CBS is wonderful.

Walsh61 and Carabimero like this.