What's new
World Wide Stereo

Front-Projector on a Budget? (1 Viewer)

doug zdanivsky

Supporting Actor
Real Name
doug zdanivsky
Hi!

My brother was asking me if there were any decent front projectors out there for under $2,000 US..

I know, I know.. Decent will be a stretch, especially for home-theater..

But does anybody have any suggestions or referals?

I have my Sony VPL-400Q... You might be able to find one still for that price.. But are there any new ones that would suit?

Thanks!

728x90

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Yes there are quite a few decent projectors under 2K.

And if you are doing something for a real HT, then you can get STUNNINGLY good video with a used CRT at around that price. These do not fit with the word "decent." However, there is the added effort, though if PQ is of big importance, the utter supremacy is worth it. If you want simpler, then perhaps an entry dlp/lcd will serve you well.

Lee Distad

Stunt Coordinator
The Panasonic PTAE500 is a good looking projector, even sharper and cleaner than the PTAE300, and I conisdered that one a good buy.

The best-known budget projector IIRC is the InFocus X1, and it's siblings, the Knoll HD101 and the Toshiba TDPMT100. They are cheap like dirt and look pretty good. Not really good, but pretty good.

If you're going to go with a big screen, like over 120", look harder at the Panasonic AE500. IMO, the X1/HD101/MT100 DLP's just don't have enough to look good over 120~ inches.

Torgny Nilsson

Second Unit
If you are open to spending just $200 over your budget, you can get a BenQ PB8220 DLP projector. I have one and it puts out an amazing picture for the price.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
The X1 is a great native 4x3 DLP for under $1K and looks surprizingly good. REALLY.

There are also several 16x9 HD LCD projectors between 1.5 and 2K. Panny and Sanyo. Check them out (may be hard to get right now however).

Avscience.com has an entire forum dedicated to discussion about "under 3.5K digital projectors" and it's worth checking out.

I'm trying to muster the resources to get an @4-5K PJ myself. An HD2 DLP would do nicely and make for some spectacular DVD reviews... :D

brentl

Senior HTF Member
For $1000 you can get a Benq PB6100 .... I just ordered 1:)

Or look at the PB6200 with 720P native.

Brert

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
brentl:

Let me know what you think of the BenQ PB6100. I am interested in seeing how you think it handles SDTV as well as DVD. Since I don't have HiDef my primary viewing is SDTV and I have been less than thrilled with SDTV on the RPTV LCD and DLP units.

Is the colorwheel speed on this unit 4 times with a 6 segment or what?

Thanks,
Parker

DavidY

Supporting Actor
Parker,

Based on what I have read, the PB6100 has a 3X colour wheel. Some of the features it has over the X1 include: brightness, PIP and of course, a 3X colour wheel.

Dave

brentl

Senior HTF Member
Just got my Pb6100 last night, and I'll give some impressions on Friday.

Brent

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
The PB6100 has a RGBW 3x wheel. Good luck with SDTV - the Faroudja in the X1 is supposed to be better for de-interlacing.

Pat Kellett

Auditioning
Doug, I am no expert but I do own two "used" CRT projectors and love toying with them. With one I bought a lessor quality (an older electrohome ECP 4100) which was really brand new (less than ten hours). With the other I bought a used (I think 5000 hours on an NEC PG9 or 9200?) The purchase price on both did not approach your $2000 limit.) Anyway,they both perform REALLY well and I have (In my own trial and error ignorance) had a blast hooking them up to EVERYTHING (including an old ATARI system and use in our outdoor amphitheater projecting on the side of the building) just to see the results. They have ALWAYS worked (once I overcome the learning curve)so I thought I would never consider anything else. Anyway, I recently visited a dedicated home theater and got to toy around with a Boxlight (Studio experience?) HD1 which I think is an LCD projector (and NOT top of the line - I think they are around $2000) Anyway, it had a line doubler and was projecting on a daylite screen (I'd guess 8 feet) using an HBO broadcast. All I could say was WOW. I had to sit down as I had not seen how far LCD projectors had come. The pixelation (sp?) I had previously seen with LCD's was no longer evident. I have not had the heart to tell my wife I like to add a THIRD projector to the mix! Just my two cents....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quinnedunn
Recent bookmarks