What's new

Friday The 13th SEs/Box Set Info Coming on September 19th!? (1 Viewer)

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
Here's the photo:

Various rumors include:

1. Paramount was going to use this ending but the actress didn't like it. I find this hard to believe as the actress was a nobody so she wasn't going to tell the studio what to do.

2. The director has stated that the "alternate" ending was never completed. He makes it seem like it was more of a test that got the axe from the studio. This could be true but the director has told misinformation on other things. Not to mention that another interview he states three endings WERE filmed. In the F13 book, only two are mentioned.

3. I remember rumors in the late 90s that someone at a horror show was showing the alternate ending on a small television but charging $800 for a copy. Seems more like a fan rumor to me.

4. Another story had the scene being shot and it was released to fans but somehow it got lost. Hard time believing this one either.

Looking at that picture it seems like Jason's make up isn't complete yet. Kinda like they pulled the actor out of the make up chair to do a few shots and that's it.

Edit to add: Here's another

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
Guys, thanks for all your responses on the book. Im going to order it anyway, because its supposed to have stuff, thats not in the Bracke book.

MattFini

Supporting Actor
There's a great interview with director George Mihalka over at
The Terror Trap.
But he didn't have the footage.

And while I'll agree with you that nobody has outright stated they don't have the uncut F13 footage (from parts 2 and 5, at least) that certainly doesn't mean anything. I guess I'm another eternal optimist for my beloved F13, that's all.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
It was the producer who had the uncut footage to MBV. If you look at "uncut" releases from Dark Sky, VCI, Synapse, Anchor Bay and countless other studios, they are lucky to have these releases because the producer's held onto personal prints. None of the producer's on this series held onto personal prints and the only director that seemed to care was from part 7 and we've seen that footage.

I have my doubts that the alternate ending to part 3 was filmed but IF it was then I'd say there's a very good shot at this being around somewhere. Why? Because it's probably a 2-5 minute scene that might have been put together, color corrected and had the sound added. Perhaps they just cut this five minute scene off and edited in the "other" five minute ending. Someone could have thrown this in a can somewhere and it sits there today.

The problem with, for example, part 2 is that there were (apparently) 25-35 seconds cut from all the death scenes. If that means 5 seconds was removed from each death scene then it's more possible that such short fragments of film were just left on the cutting room floor and thrown away. The bottom line is that no studio thought to hold onto this stuff because they never had an idea that people would one day want to see it. Just think of all the silent films that were tossed because of this reason. Just think at how many outtakes/deleted scenes are missing from thousands of "classic" movies. No uncut BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN, no uncut FRANK MEETS WOLF MAN, no uncut version of countless pre-codes. No spider pit sequence to KING KONG. The list goes on and on.

Having seen the MBV footage there's a big difference between this and 40 seconds worth of footage from F13 2. Adding back entire sequences ala something like SLING BLADE is different than adding back to seconds of gore like SAW 2. I think finding a longer bit of footage for a film would be easier than finding a few seconds worth of frames.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
Someone will post the time and how it's presented as soon as the okay is given. As of checking an hour ago, it's still a no talk until the product goes up for its press release as check discs aren't final. As of my last e-mail yesterday this thing still hasn't had an official press release and LGs reviewer site still has no mention of it. I'd love to post some behind the scenes stuff from the disc but the site has nothing official yet.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
I say screw the uncut versions because the REAL extras that need to be included are the original Siskel and Ebert reviews. I couldn't find reviews for parts 1-3 but over at Youtube are reviews for 4 and 5 and I must say that they are just as hilarious as the plot twist in part 5. You fans should certainly check them out as Ebert gets crazier than Jason with his hatred of part 4.

Part 4:

YouTube - Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter /Can She Bake A Cherry Pi

Part 5 (with Porky's Revenge---what a great double feature):

YouTube - Porky's Revenge / Friday the 13th Part V

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
I find nothing "hilarious" about the Siskel and Ebert reviews, except that they're so prudish and miss the entire point of why fans love these movies. I couldn't care less about what Siskel and Ebert thought of these films - they were clueless and "just don't get it" (well, especially Ebert - sometimes Siskel had a grasp of it - at least he called it "a roller coaster ride" at one point) when it comes to what makes them enjoyable to their fans. I knew how off the mark Ebert was when he reviewed PART 2 and with one single brush of his pen concluded: "This review will suffice for the FRIDAY THE 13TH film of your choice".

That goes to show you that his mind on ALL the sequels - be they past, present, or yet-to-come has already been made up.

The bottom line is that no studio thought to hold onto this stuff because they never had an idea that people would one day want to see it. Just think of all the silent films that were tossed because of this reason. Just think at how many outtakes/deleted scenes are missing from thousands of "classic" movies. No uncut BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN, no uncut FRANK MEETS WOLF MAN, no uncut version of countless pre-codes. No spider pit sequence to KING KONG. The list goes on and on.
But yet there were other "objectionable" scenes from KING KONG which were censored, but saved and then later re-incorporated into the film as we know it today - Kong fondling Fay Wray, Kong chewing on natives and stomping them into the ground... and the sme thing goes for the footage of the little girl being drowned in FRANKENSTEIN, which was edited for decades and then later found -- and the same thing for Colin Clive's line "Now I know what it feels like to be God!" which was missing and thought lost for decades, but now restored.... and the shots of Fritz the hunchback torturing the monster and then being hanged... and the scene of Dr. Waldman being killed by the Monster while he's attempting to dissect him.. all of these were once not part of the movie, as they were cut. ... And the Fredric March "risque" scenes from DR. JEKYLL AND MR. HYDE.....

So it's not like this stuff doesn't sometimes turn up. And also keep in mind that -- while it may have been thought that people would never care to see that edited stuff back in the 20s, 30s, and 40s -- the "modern era" of the 80s and beyond is much different; by the time of all those F13 sequels there was already a cult audience and I think the filmmakers and studios were indeed aware that people were now interested in seeing excised gore footage.

MattFini

Supporting Actor
I LOVE those Siskel and Ebert reviews. I watch them every now and again and it never fails to produce a chuckle from me.

Poor Friday 5 ... it can't seem to catch a break but it's one of my favorites in the series.

I hope Paramount isn't going to stop with Deluxe editions of the first three. I've got my fingers crossed that they'll be revisiting the whole series - and if so, I'm in for all 8.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Not to be a jerk but why is Part V one of your faves?

While I think Part V is a terrible movie, I still watch it at least twice a year so I do have a fond spot for it in my heart. Due to the pointless sex and nudity, nonstop profanity and the half dozen or more characters that are introduced just to be killed, the movie seems more like what someone thinks a F13 movie is rather than a real attempt at one. Those things are also what I find oddly enjoyable about the movie too.

Simon Caleb

Stunt Coordinator
Part V is one of my fave Friday's too. It's crass, filled with profanity and interestingly in the Euro print once featured more nudity. And despite 47 seconds* of MPAA enforced cuts, still retained a gruesome edge.

What works for me is the zippy well oiled pace, a kill every 5mins and a sense of tongue in cheek fun, that became a little too knowing and smartass in 'Jason Lives'.
Then again I could be biased as I saw it opening weekend in Florida, with teens screaming & shouting at the screen and throwing popcorn. We all jumped, laughed and shouted together.

*So sayeth director Danny Steinmann during the 'Savage Streets' SE running commentary.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
I recall when I saw PART 5 in the theater when it was new. At the time I absolutely HATED it, and that was mainly because its "plotline" seemed like a cheap way to justify continuing the series after the fully satisfying THE FINAL CHAPTER . "A New Beginning" my eye. That's part of the reason I then came to love PART 6: JASON LIVES, the very next year!

But for me, as much as I'd never rate PART 5 near the top of my F13 list, it's aged better nowadays because at least it still feels like a vintage F13 film ... something JASON GOES TO HELL and JASON X don't.

MattFini

Supporting Actor
You're not being a jerk at all ... I'm just happy to have the chance to discuss F13 with other people who share my same obsession.

I think A New Beginning is absolutely awesome. It's definitely not a good movie I guess, but it's one of the most entertaining. It moves ridiculously fast and I love the genuine mean spirit of the movie.

I also get a kick out of some of the dialogue/characters ("Joey's death isn't easy on any of us ... so let's just have breakfast.") and, of course, the high body count keeps things fun.

Of all the F13 movies, I've probably watched this (along with 4 and 6) the most. Not really because it forms a 'trilogy' with Tommy Jarvis so much as I am always amazed at how many times I can watch those three without ever tiring of them.

And just for fun, my ranking of the Paramount era would go something like this:

Jason Lives
The Final Chapter
Part 2
A New Beginning
Part 1
3-D
Jason Takes Manhattan
The New Blood

I often flip/flop on parts 5 and 1. 1 is a better, scarier film but I'm putting part 5 before it only because I've watched it more often and find myself popping that one in more than most.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks