What's new

Foreign Film Preorder List (1 Viewer)

Pascal A

Second Unit
Added:
11/28 Wings of Honneamise (Hirouki Yamaga)
19/19 L'Ennui (Robert Kramer and Cedric Kahn)
Also worth noting are the upcoming releases of Spike Lee's Four Little Girls documentary on 1/23, and Woody Allen's Small Time Crooks on 12/19.
Regarding the Nosferatu soundtrack, I've heard four different accompaniments for the film - 2 with live performances, 2 recorded with the film - so, I'm guessing that the programmers are working with accompaniment notes, and selecting the music accordingly. I don't know what the new Silent Orchestra recording sounds like, but the descriptions don't say anything about it being an original composition for the film.
------------------
Strictly Film School

Roger V.

Auditioning
Kurosawa's Madadayo has just been released on HK DVD - English-subtitled, letterboxed, all region - from Mei Ah
11/15
Shunji Iwai's Swallowtail Butterfly Limited and Standard Editions - removable English subs, letterboxed, Region 2
Robert Kramer's film is due on 19/19? Is that NASA notation for light-years?
wink.gif

Seriously, I can't believe Kramer will be represented on DVD. The close friend of filmmaker Richard Dindo, Kramer provided voice-over reading for Dindo's films. Dindo described Kramer's dejection: he could not find financing for his personal films in the U.S. but France welcomed him. This week is the one year anniversary of his death in France.

Pascal A

Second Unit
Updated the list. Mother and Son has been delayed yet again to 12/5.
frown.gif

Robert Kramer's film is due on 19/19? Is that NASA notation for light-years?
I'm fairly certain that this can either be attributed to the Mars Climate Orbiter English-Metric conversion problem, ...or a lack of caffeine.
wink.gif
The correct date is 12/19.
------------------
Strictly Film School

Pascal A

Second Unit
Added the following titles, all due on 1/16/01:
Begotten (E. Elias Merhige) - first feature from director of Shadow of the Vampire
Place Without Limits (Arturo Ripstein)
Women (Moshe Mizrahi)
------------------
Strictly Film School

Pascal A

Second Unit
Added the New Zealand film, Utu (Murphy), about the conflict between British settlers and the indigenous Maori people. Release date is 12/19 from Kino.
Almodovar's Tie Me Up, Tie Me Down street date revised to 1/16/01.
------------------
Strictly Film School

MilesH

Stunt Coordinator
Is there any particular reason why you are listing Hong Kong directors by their first name instead of their last name?
Also, Peace Hotel and Sausalito DVDs have already been released.

Pascal A

Second Unit
Regarding the HK DVD's, it looks as though the names have been reversed to the first name/last name format.
Personally, I prefer to see Chinese names as they are, i.e. last name, first name (Hou Hsiao-Hsien), and not rearranged to mold into the first name, last name format (Hsiao-Hsien Hou). I looked up the directors' names from IMDB, and didn't realize that they do this "westernization" of names. Also, this is a new DVD of Peace Hotel coming out on 12/5.
Adding to the list:
12/19 Capitaine Conan - Bernard Tavernier (Kino) The DVD includes a documentary on Tavernier. Details here .
------------------
Strictly Film School

Pascal A

Second Unit
Updated to reflect new releases, including Maborosi and Mon Oncle d'Amerique , after several street date changes.
Added the following films:
Affair of Love (1/23) Frederic Fonteyne
The Five Senses (1/23) Jeremy Podeswa, Canada
Double Suicide (1/23) Masahiro Shinoda, Japan (whoo hoo!)
Goya In Bordeaux (1/30) Carlos Saura, Italy/Spain (no word on Cria!
frown.gif
)
Solomon and Gaenor (1/30) Paul Morrisson, UK
------------------
Strictly Film School

Ali B

Second Unit
Does anyone know what aspect ratio Aguirre was shot in? Both the R1 and R2 versions are 4:3, which is odd nowadays if the film was shot in 1.85:1 +.
Show Me Love looks like being one of those DVDs that is pretty hard to get hold of, even though it is out. Amazon and Express both have it, and some reviews have been written about it, so I assume it has actually shipped.
ali

Roger V.

Auditioning
According to The Digital Bits:
From Anchor Bay:
A Better Tomorrow (1/16) John Woo
A Better Tomorrow 2 (1/16) John Woo
From Fantoma:
Coffin Joe: At Midnight I'll Take Your Soul (4/3) Jose Mojica
Coffin Joe: This Night I'll Possess Your Corpse (4/3) Jose Mojica
Coffin Joe: Awakening of the Beast (4/3) Jose Mojica

Can't wait for Malena!
A limited recently released work from Cinema Paradiso writer/director Giuseppe Tornatore.
My guess next NOV/DEC 2001 DVD release!
icon14.gif
u:u
tongue.gif

DonaldB

Supporting Actor
Anchor Bay has The Cook, The Thief, His Wife and Her Lover (Greenaway) on their website as being available 1st quarter next year. Buy.com lists it as being available 2/27/2001, but they are the only place to specify a date, so I'm not sure of its reliability.
cook.gif

Pascal A

Second Unit
Updated.
Added to the list:
2/6 Honey and Ashes (Nadia Fares)
2/6 Pick a Card (Julie Shles)
2/13 Adventurers (Ringo Lam)
2/13 Moonlight Express (Daniel Lee)
2/13 Schramm (Jorg Buttgereit)
------------------
Strictly Film School

Pascal A

Second Unit
Whoo hoo! I've been waiting for this one:
2/13 L'Humanite (Bruno Dumont) - Controversial, disturbing, emotionally raw film about a lonely, obsessed police inspector investigating a brutal rape and murder of a young girl. Emmanuel Schotte and Severine Caneele took home the Best Actor and Actress (respectively) Award at the 1999 Cannes Film Festival, and the film itself won the Jury Prize.
------------------
Strictly Film School

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
Excellent Pascal, now I'll finally be able to see L'Humanite.
------------------
"The days go on and on...they don't end. All my life needed was a sense of someplace to go. I don't believe that one should devote his life to morbid self-attention, I believe that one should become a person like other people."
S&S Challenge: 72 ...46
THE NEW DVD BEAVER
THE BEST DVD COLLECTION
CONTEST ON THE INTERNET

My DVD Collection

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks