What's new

Foreign/Art/Independent Film DVD Preorder List II (2 Viewers)

DonaldB

Supporting Actor
Most browsers have keyboard or mouse shortcuts for easily increasing or decreasing font size. If you're running a Windows OS, try holding the CTRL key and + at the same time, or holding CTRL and scrolling your mouse wheel. You can thus enlarge what you need to see, then quickly reset the font to its original size.

Does anyone else think the list's font size needs increasing from top to bottom?

Gary Tooze

Senior HTF Member
I think it is fine Donald... but no harm in increasing it one unit though. Ken can easily increase his font size with his browser... no complaints here... and, as always, GREAT JOB !

DonaldB

Supporting Actor
1/13
Law of Desire (Pedro Almodovar, Spain) Bluelight [R2-UK]
1/27
Petites Coupures (Pascal Bonitzer, France) Artificial Eye [R2-UK]
Respiro (Emanuele Crialese, Italy) Tartan [R2-UK] 16:9
2/3
The Long Goodbye (Robert Altman, US) MGM [R2-UK]
2/10
The White Dove (Frantisek Vlácil, Czechoslovakia) Facets
2/24
In a Year of 13 Moons (Rainer Werner Fassbinder, Germany) Fantoma
The Last Laugh (Der Letze Mann) (F.W. Murnau, Germany) Eureka [R2-UK]
Martha (Rainer Werner Fassbinder, Germany) Fantoma

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
Finally at long long long last, a date for the Fantoma Fassbinder's!!! But where's Why Did Herr R. Run Amok?

WillardK

Second Unit
2/24 The Mike Leigh Collection #1: Abigail's Party, Grown Ups, Hard Labour (Leigh, UK) Water Bearer (also available separately)
This is coming out in a US edition also.
Does anyone know if this or the US edition of All or Nothing includes a commentary track from Leigh? I noticed the UK All or Nothing does include one. His commentary for Naked was exceptional.

DonaldB

Supporting Actor
Willard, that is the US edition of the Leigh Collection; there is no UK box set bundling those same films. The US version of All or Nothing unfortunately has no commentary.
2/24
Fertile Memory (Michel Khleifi, Palestine) Kino
Halfaouine (Ferid Boughedir, Tunisia) Kino
Moscow Does Not Believe in Tears (Vladimir Menshov, USSR) Kino
Oblomov (Nikita Mikhalkov, USSR) Kino
Wedding In Galilee (Michel Khleifi, Palestine) Kino
3/16
Demonlover (Olivier Assayas, France) Lions Gate

Pascal A

Second Unit
Three for the list:
1/26
Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress (Dai Sijie, China) - Optimum Realeasing [R2-UK]
2/10
Party Monster (Randy Barbato and Fenton Bailey, US) - Lion's Gate
3/23
Shattered Glass (Billy Ray, US) - 20th Century Fox [16:9]

Pascal A

Second Unit
Any indication on which cut will be on the DVD? Demonlover was shortened (can we use Miramaxed if a different studio did it?) for its US release -- I would love to get the original cut.
Oh really? I saw the undistributed (which I'm guessing is original cut) version during Film Comment Selects: 2003. What was removed, the hentai stuff or did they just shorten the final sequence?

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Oh really? I saw the undistributed (which I'm guessing is original cut) version during Film Comment Selects: 2003. What was removed, the hentai stuff or did they just shorten the final sequence?
No idea -- I saw it at the same screening(s) as you, but several critics at the time of the general release mentioned the cuts.
All I know is, if even one bite is removed from the tempura eating scene, I will be very, very upset :) ;)
Ted

DonaldB

Supporting Actor
1/13
Madame Satã (Karim Ainouz, Brazil) Wellspring
1/27
Capturing the Friedmans (Andrew Jarecki, US) Warner 16:9
3/9
Onibaba (Kaneto Shindo, Japan) Criterion
Scenes From a Marriage (Ingmar Bergman, Sweden) Criterion
3/30
La Truite (Joseph Losey, France) Home Vision 16:9
Monsieur Klein (Joseph Losey, France) Home Vision 16:9
Time Without Pity (Joseph Losey, UK) Home Vision

JavierS

Stunt Coordinator
Hi,can anyone tell me if "Ciao, Professore!" is going to be released in widescreen or fullscreen?

DonaldB

Supporting Actor
Hi,can anyone tell me if "Ciao, Professore!" is going to be released in widescreen or fullscreen?
Every listing I've found for this DVD indicates it's something other than widescreen. Whether that means pan-and-scan or fullscreen, I don't know.
1/14
Coffret Peter Greenaway: Meurtre dans un jardin anglais (The Draughtsman's Contract), ZOO, The Early Films Part 1, The Early Films Part 2 (Greenaway, UK) mk2 [R2-France]
2/3
Angel Face (Un si doux visage) (Otto Preminger, US) MGM [R2-France]
2/24
The Draughtsman's Contract (Peter Greenaway, UK) bfi [R2-UK] 16:9
A Zed and Two Noughts (Peter Greenaway, UK) bfi [R2-UK] 16:9
3/9
Bottle Rocket (Wes Anderson, US) Columbia/Tri-Star [R2-UK]
Dawn of the Dead (George Romero, US) Anchor Bay 16:9
The Singing Detective (John Amiel, UK) BBC [R2-UK]
The Tenant (Roman Polanski, France/US) Paramount [R2-UK]
3/16
Liliom (Fritz Lang, France) Kino
Unknown Pleasures (Jia Zhang Ke, Japan/China) New Yorker
3/23
Songs from the Second Floor (Roy Andersson, Sweden) New Yorker
4/20
Wish You Were Here (David Leland, UK) MGM

Andrew_K

Stunt Coordinator
The Euro-release of Jean Jacques Beineix 37°2 le matin / Betty Blue (directors cut) is planned for March 19 2004.
The DVD will have English, French, German, Hungarian, Italian and Spanish audio tracks and subtitles in 20 (twenty!!!) languages. The DVD will contain Jean Jacques Beineix commentary and a featurette on making the movie.
I hope that this is just a beginning of making such Euro-releases of French and other European movies.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
The Euro-release of Jean Jacques Beineix 37°2 le matin / Betty Blue (directors cut) is planned for March 19 2004.
OK, what is a Euro-release in practical terms -- does that mean it will be available from Amazon.co.uk AND Amazon.fr?
I have the R4 Australia Dir. Cut of 37°2 le matin / Betty Blue, which IIRC has a nice anamorphic transfer but no extras.
The above specs concern me -- if there are that many language and sub streams, plus extras, plus a long film, I can't imagine the quality will be all that good. Granted I'd love a commentary track (not to mention at least one DVD with Bulgarian subs -- I'm guessing it's one of the 20 languages :))
I saw two Beineix films in Paris recently (Mortel Transfert & IP5) with J-J Beineix doing an hour long Q&A, which was mostly a monolog with the audience getting in a couple of words edgewise. I did manage to ask about DVDs for his other films, and he said that he was working on it with Gaumont, but made no promises on English subs. J-J Beineix is a fascinating character -- I'd love to see his paintings some day.
Ted

Andrew_K

Stunt Coordinator
Bad news Ted. There will be no Bulgarian subtitles on 37°2 le matin / Betty Blue DVD.:frowning:
The DVD will be distributed by Warner Bros in Poland, so most probably it is Warner DVD.

Here are a few announcements I've gathered:
-"Derrida" (Kirby Dick and Amy Ziering Kofman, U.S., 2002) Zeitgeist Films 1/20/04
-Croupier (Mike Hodges, UK/France/Germany/Ireland, 1998) Image Entertainment 3/9/04 (widescreen 1.78:1 non-anamorphic)
-In My Skin (Dans Ma Peau) (Marina De Van, France, 2002) Wellspring 4/20/04
-Common Ground (Lugares Comunes) (Adolfo Aristarain, Spain/Argentina, 2002) Wellspring 4/20/04

Gary Tooze

Senior HTF Member
István Szabó's "Taking Sides" will be released by New Yorker video on April 20th, 2004
From IMdb:
A tale based on the life of Wilhelm Furtwangler, the controversial conductor of the Berlin Philharmonic whose tenure coincided with the controversial Nazi era. One of the most spectacular and renowned conductors of the 30s, Furtwangler's reputation rivaled that of Toscanini's. After the war, he was investigated as part of the Allies' de-Nazification programme. In the bombed-out Berlin of the immediate post-war period, the Allies slowly bring law and order--and justice--to bear on an occupied Germany. An American major is given the Furtwangler file, and is told to find everything he can and to prosecute the man ruthlessly. Tough and hard-nosed, Major Steve Arnold sets out to investigate a world of which he knows nothing. Orchestra members vouch for Furtwangler's morality--he did what he could to protect Jewish players from his orchestra. To the Germans, deeply respectful of their musical heritage, Furtwangler was a demigod; to Major Arnold, he is just a lying, weak-willed Nazi.

DonaldB

Supporting Actor
1/27
João César Monteiro Complete Box Set (Monteiro, Portugal) Gemini Films/Play It Again Sam [R2-France]
1/30
Offret (The Sacrifice) (Andrei Tarkovsky, Sweden) The Swedish Film Institute [R2-Sweden]
2/17
Closely Observed Trains (Jiri Menzel, Czechoslovakia) Arrow Film Distributors [R2-UK]
2/24
Le chignon d'Olga (Jerome Bonnell, France) Artificial Eye [R2-UK]
Le souffle (Damien Odoul, France) Tartan [R2-UK] 16:9
3/2
Good bye, Lenin! (Wolfgang Becker, Germany) [R2-UK]
3/21
Norman McLaren Collection (McLaren, UK/Canada/US) [R2-Japan]
4/6
The Umbrellas of Cherbourg (Jacques Demy, France) Koch Lorber
4/13
Blow-up (Michelangelo Antonioni, UK) Warner [R2-UK]
The Damned (Luchino Visconti, Italy) Warner [R2-UK]
Death in Venice (Luchino Visconti, Italy) Warner [R2-UK]
4/20
Céline et Julie vont en bateau (Céline and Julie Go Boating) (Jacques Rivette, France) Editions Montparnasse [R2-France] (No English Subs)
Common Ground (Lugares Comunes) (Adolfo Aristarain, Spain/Argentina) Wellspring
Flower of Evil (Claude Chabrol, France) Lions Gate
In My Skin (Dans Ma Peau) (Marina De Van, France) Wellspring

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks