What's new

Forbidden Planet (1 Viewer)

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Agreed, the french mono track actually has better sound quality in comparison!

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
I have never had confirmation as to whether or not Forbidden Planet was 4-track mag-stereo. All indications point to it being 2-track mag-stereo.

Joe Caps, can you shed some light?

Stephen PI

Supporting Actor
The original stereo master mix exists on 3-track fullcoat (L,C,R) and the mono surround track was interlocked on 17 1/2 magnetic fullcoat. Unfortunately a lot of these 17 1/2 masters deteriorated over the years and, in the case of "Forbidden Planet", had to be re-created from the front channels, which is most likely how a lot of the original was done. The impending release should be 4.0.

jim.vaccaro

Second Unit
Steve, you don't think they'll encode a LFE channel and make it a 4.1 track? The current release is already Dolby Surround, and sounds okay considering it's OLD, but it could use a little more oomph in my opinion.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Just watched this yesterday in HD on HDNET Movies, It looked tremendous!:emoji_thumbsup:

Stephen PI

Supporting Actor
Quote:
Steve, you don't think they'll encode a LFE channel and make it a 4.1 track? The current release is already Dolby Surround, and sounds okay considering it's OLD, but it could use a little more oomph in my opinion.

I doubt it, Jim, but provided the equalization of the playback head is set up properly and that the channels are in phase, there should be enough low end to supply your subwoofer via bass re-direction.

Micah Cohen

Screenwriter
I just want to know if anyone knows a good reason why FORBIDDEN PLANET has not been well-done on DVD? Does everyone hate this film? Is this a BLADE RUNNER-esque legal issue? Original film elements missing or destroyed? Waiting for the remake? Studio angry about some past slight and holding a grudge against fans of this film? I don't understand. Any insight?

MC

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Another question in response to your funny questions is what does the year 2006 represent in conjunction to this 1956 film release?

Crawdaddy

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
So WB is holding off just so they can print "50th Anniversary Edition" on the cover? Another artificial reason for holding back a film. Unfortunately this not the 1st time this has happened & unfortunately it won't be the last. Sigh! :frowning: :angry:

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
I have lost count of the amount of threads at this site on this film's SE DVD release. The current DVD is abysmal in every way. Warner aren't dumb, they know it is a prestigious film that is loved by millions and deserved a new transfer and extras. A 50th Anniversary celebration SE in 2006 is quite likely, but don't hold your breath. The film has been shown on TV in High Definition. Use the search function - there's a thread about it somewhere.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Wow.....it wasn't me this time that mentioned the glut of Forbidden Planet threads! :)

Well, at least the "where is King Kong?" threads can die off now......maybe.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Since when does any company wait for the actual anniversary year to release anything, a car or a movie DVD.;)

This coming year would be nice.

Dave Simkiss

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dave Simkiss
Just so you guys know, play.com has it down (region 2) with a release date of 27/11/2006

(or 11/27/2006 for our American cousins)

Thats quite a way off, but as it's one of my all time favourite SCI-FI films Im gonna pre order it now.

Dave Simkiss

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dave Simkiss
As a lifelong Trek fan Im actually quite embarresed.
As a life long bad speller im not actually suprised at all.

To photoshop!

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Say, since reviving this thread has anyone posted any caps of the HD broadcast? I would be very interested in seeing what that transfer looks like.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks