For fans of Slap Shot...

Discussion in 'Movies' started by todd s, Feb 3, 2005.

1. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

I did an autographed cast matte from the movie Slap Shot a few years back. I also wrote to a lot of the minor characters (Dr.Hook,Ogilethorpe,etc). One of the people I tried for years to contact was Andrew Duncan. He played Jim Carr the radio announcer. He hadn't worked on a movie since Morgan Stewarts Coming Home in 1985. After leaving my info with someone at the screen actors guild I assumed it was a dead issue. Nothing ever comes of that. The one evening (in 1999) I receive a phone call from Mr.Duncan. I apologized for bothering him. I told him I was just lookin for a place to write to him. He was very nice and we chatted a few minutes about the movie. He took my address and that was it. About a month later I recieved a 3 1/2 page letter from him talking about some behind the scenes stuff from the movie.

I was just going through my autographed stuff and found the letter again. So I thought if their were any fans of the movie who are interested in hearing the letter. I would be happy to transcribe it here. Just let me know.

ps-I was also able to contact Yvonne Barret who played the goalie. Slap Shot was his only movie. And I was the first person from the US to contact him. He was nice enough to send me one of his daily production sheets from the movie. Very cool.

2. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ

3. Ray Gutnick

Ray Gutnick Stunt Coordinator

Ray
    I'd like to read about the behind the scenes stuff...

4. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    was i the only one completely surprised to find ogie oglethorpe as the doctor in the first few minutes of bottle rocket?

CJ

5. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

I will transcribe the letter tomorrow. Here is a pic of the cast matte (click on thumbnail to see larger pic).
    http://img203.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img203&image=slapshot5jc.jpg
    Left Column:
    -Paul Newman (Reggie Dunlap)
    -Jerry Houser (Killer Carlson)
    -Stephen Mendillo (Jim Ahern)
    -Strother Martin (McGrath)
    -Jennifer Warren (Francine Dunlap
    -Ned Dowd (Ogilthorpe)
    Center:
    -The three Hanson brothers on the pic
    -Yvon Barrette (Denis)
    -Paul D'Amato (Dr.Hook McCracken)
    Right Column:
    -Michael Ontkean (Ned Braden)
    -Brad Sullivan (Moe)
    -Yvan Ponton (Druin)
    -Andrew Duncan (Jim Carr)
    -Lindsay Crouse (Lilly Braden)
    -Chris Murray (Harahan)

6. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

Here is the letter:

7. Roger_C

Roger_C Stunt Coordinator

8. Jeff D Han

Jeff D Han Supporting Actor

Thanks, Todd. I always like hearing or reading behind
    the scenes stuff about my favorite movies. Also thank
    you Andrew for taking time to respond to a movie fan.
    [​IMG]

9. Timothy Fisher

Timothy Fisher Auditioning

Thanks, Todd. The letter from Andrew Duncan was terrific. Slap Shot has always been a favorite of mine.

10. jpilk99

jpilk99 Auditioning

Hi Todd. Jay Pilkington here. I'm writing a book and trying to connect with Ned or Nancy Dowd. I'd love to hear some of the colorful backstories, exchanges, during the movie. Especially out on the ice with guys like Paul Newman and/or Michael Ontkeen. I've actually got an interview lined up with Steve Carlson. I'd love to hear/read whatever came from your efforts. That's great that you connected with "Jim Carr" and goalie; "...who ownnnnnnze da Chiefs. Ownnzzzzzzah. OWNZZZZZZZZZEH". Please let me know a good way to get in touch with you. Thank you in advance, Jay Pilkington

11. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman
    Heck, as long as we're getting the attention of Slap Shot fans, allow me to recommend Goon, with Seann William Scott. It's hysterical (and also based on real-life hockey fights :) ). .

12. mattCR

mattCR Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt
    Now that hockey is back and full swing restored, I watched "Goon" again today for the first time in some months; just kills me everytime.. "Why that rendition was almost treasonous for all of our proud history.. my father didn't die fighting the nazis.. oh and the puck drops!" :) It's ridiculous and over the top, and yet it reminds me of every minor league hockey game I've ever seen