What's new

For fans of Slap Shot... (1 Viewer)

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I did an autographed cast matte from the movie Slap Shot a few years back. I also wrote to a lot of the minor characters (Dr.Hook,Ogilethorpe,etc). One of the people I tried for years to contact was Andrew Duncan. He played Jim Carr the radio announcer. He hadn't worked on a movie since Morgan Stewarts Coming Home in 1985. After leaving my info with someone at the screen actors guild I assumed it was a dead issue. Nothing ever comes of that. The one evening (in 1999) I receive a phone call from Mr.Duncan. I apologized for bothering him. I told him I was just lookin for a place to write to him. He was very nice and we chatted a few minutes about the movie. He took my address and that was it. About a month later I recieved a 3 1/2 page letter from him talking about some behind the scenes stuff from the movie.

I was just going through my autographed stuff and found the letter again. So I thought if their were any fans of the movie who are interested in hearing the letter. I would be happy to transcribe it here. Just let me know.

ps-I was also able to contact Yvonne Barret who played the goalie. Slap Shot was his only movie. And I was the first person from the US to contact him. He was nice enough to send me one of his daily production sheets from the movie. Very cool.

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
I was also able to contact Yvonne Barret who played the goalie. Slap Shot was his only movie. And I was the first person from the US to contact him
if i hear from you, it make me feel better. a little.
or
write me right fuckin now!
i'm a huge fan of slapshot, and this is a cool story, thanks for sharing. a couple summers ago, my girlfriend and i drove down to pittsburgh to visit our friends, they went to carnegie mellon university, and every year, cmu has a spring carnival, and the frats and sororities set up booths for people to go in, each booth has a theme. my friend's frat had a greek theme, so they had a toga making booth. another frat had a mini disneyland castle. anyway, the point of this is, another frat had an idea that i thought you may enjoy, i sure did.
dcp24725kw.jpg

CJ

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
was i the only one completely surprised to find ogie oglethorpe as the doctor in the first few minutes of bottle rocket?

CJ

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I will transcribe the letter tomorrow. Here is a pic of the cast matte (click on thumbnail to see larger pic).
http://img203.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img203&image=slapshot5jc.jpg
Left Column:
-Paul Newman (Reggie Dunlap)
-Jerry Houser (Killer Carlson)
-Stephen Mendillo (Jim Ahern)
-Strother Martin (McGrath)
-Jennifer Warren (Francine Dunlap
-Ned Dowd (Ogilthorpe)
Center:
-The three Hanson brothers on the pic
-Yvon Barrette (Denis)
-Paul D'Amato (Dr.Hook McCracken)
Right Column:
-Michael Ontkean (Ned Braden)
-Brad Sullivan (Moe)
-Yvan Ponton (Druin)
-Andrew Duncan (Jim Carr)
-Lindsay Crouse (Lilly Braden)
-Chris Murray (Harahan)

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Here is the letter:
Sorry I'm late responding but I've been away. To begin last, the last I heard of Yvone was he was in Montreal. You might try the Canadian Union in Montreal.
Stories abound "outside" the movies. After all, we were all staying in the same hotel on the same floor in Johnstown , PA. However, that would invade people's privacy. "In" the movie, the opening scene was "real", he really hit me with the goalie's stocl and it drew blood. When I complained to him between takes he replied, "I'm sorry Andrew, but I never cheat".
Paul Newman only talke to me twice during the movie. The first time we were alone together before doing the 1st radio interview he asked, "Do you want to go over these lines?" The second thing he said to me was "you're a hell of an actor." When Robert Redford visited the set in Johnstown, he brought Paul & George Roy Hill, wooden toilet seats because he thought they would need them "out in the boondocks".
The townspeople of Johnstown acted as extras in the arena scenes for the games and the first time Paul Newman came into the ice arena, 750 people were waiting, all abuzz. They were excited about seeing him for the first time "in the flesh" so to speak. Paul came flying down a ramp they had for him to make it easy to hit the ice. He had practiced in California both skating and playing the game and he was anxious to make a good impression. The trouble was he had neglected or forgot to take off the rubber skate guards on his skates and he hit the ice and tumbled head over heels. The crowd roared and the director (can't read) was his star hurt? Paul pulled it off by not getting up. Covered with snow from the ice, he took exagerrated bows while sitting down. Needless to say, everybody loved him after that.
Your right, the fighting in the games is absurd, but understandable. It has a history of guys in Canada from poor families who have a choice: Go down in the mines or out on the ice. And fighting is expected, to let off steam. They explain or release frustration. Nancy Dowd wrote the script to expose the violence because her brother Ned was being beaten up out on the ice playing for Harvard. She was afraid the movie was going too far into comedy and would be called "Slap Stick" which isn't a bad title.
There were a lot of stories but it was sometime ago and I'm getting older and my memory is getting shorter. Needless to say, I had a great time making the movie and its always a pleasure talking to someone who enjoys watching it.
I've seen Swoozie Kurtz and some of the guys over the years and all agree it was a great time in our lives and probably the best movie experience any of us ever had. That says a lot.
Sincerly, Andrew Duncan
It was very nice of him to send me this. I received the letter in March of 1999. So it was 6 years ago. I have no idea if Mr.Duncan is still around. But, wherever he is. Thanks for the letter and the enjoyment the movie gave.
ps-Ogilthorpe in Harvard!!! :D

Jeff D Han

Supporting Actor
Thanks, Todd. I always like hearing or reading behind
the scenes stuff about my favorite movies. Also thank
you Andrew for taking time to respond to a movie fan.
:D

jpilk99

Auditioning
Real Name
Jay Pilkington
Hi Todd. Jay Pilkington here. I'm writing a book and trying to connect with Ned or Nancy Dowd. I'd love to hear some of the colorful backstories, exchanges, during the movie. Especially out on the ice with guys like Paul Newman and/or Michael Ontkeen. I've actually got an interview lined up with Steve Carlson. I'd love to hear/read whatever came from your efforts. That's great that you connected with "Jim Carr" and goalie; "...who ownnnnnnze da Chiefs. Ownnzzzzzzah. OWNZZZZZZZZZEH". Please let me know a good way to get in touch with you. Thank you in advance, Jay Pilkington

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Heck, as long as we're getting the attention of Slap Shot fans, allow me to recommend Goon, with Seann William Scott. It's hysterical (and also based on real-life hockey fights :) ). .

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Now that hockey is back and full swing restored, I watched "Goon" again today for the first time in some months; just kills me everytime.. "Why that rendition was almost treasonous for all of our proud history.. my father didn't die fighting the nazis.. oh and the puck drops!" :) It's ridiculous and over the top, and yet it reminds me of every minor league hockey game I've ever seen

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks