What's new
World Wide Stereo

Fluance SX A\B test results (1 Viewer)

WilliamMc

Stunt Coordinator
I had a little free time so I finally put the Fluance SX mains up against my big Klipsch mains. I've never seen a Fluance AB test so perhaps this is the first? I don't really have a golden ear, and I'm not a speaker or testing expert, but I thought I would contribute back to the forum with my impressions.

The contenders:

Klipsch Synergy KSF 10.5 towers

These are much bigger than those at BB and I beleive were the top of the synergy line. I think the MRSP was $800.00 for the pair. As the dealer was mad ay Klipsch about the whole Best Buy thing, i got them at 12 price. These towers include dual 8' woofers.

Fluance SX-htb Mains

Everyone knows these: Dome tweeter and dual 6" woofers.

AB testing speakers was harder than I thought. The SPL levels were very different, and guessing while changing levels was my only guide. I now beleive that if the speakers are close in quality, a blind test is needed. I tried to keep bias out of the picture, but, I know it may have been a factor.

The speakers were close! They sounded different, but at times it was hard to say which difference was any better. My final choice was the SX mains! Here are some impressions.

Klipsch:
Foward
LOUD
a little thin
bright but not detailed
Sometimes a little dull or flat

SX mains:
slightly more recessed or distant
queiter (the lower sensitivity was apparent)
full
Deep bass
punchy midbase
IMPACT
detailed ( to point of revealing some weakness in my meager system?)

Bass was a major difference. the smaller sx towers went much deeper than the synergy's. A big reason for Klipsch purchase was the big 8" woofers. I now feel kinda defrauded. The midbass was a little puncher too!

Another big difference was impact. I tried a few song were the music stops and after a pause, it kicks back in even louder. Sometimes with a loud drum hit. The fluance excelled here. I guess this indicates a better dynamic range?

Here's a tough one. Detail! The sx mains seemed more detailed than the klipsch, but perhaps less irritating. To be honest I had not been happy with the treble of the sx mains with certian songs. these were mainly rock songs with alot of cymbals. softer music was always warm and sweet, but cymbals are,(in certian songs) almost garbled. After critically listening to my klipch, I can here the same garbled trashing sounding cymbals, the're just much less apparent on the klipsch. I think the sx mains may be so revealing that I'm hearing poor quality in the yamaha da converters, or badly mixed recordings. Perhaps the fluance speakers should only be paired with separates. How do you like that statement!!!!!

:D
Overall, sx mains were fuller, sweeter, more detailed, and had better deeper bass, much deeper in fact. All this was more apparent on some songs and less on others. I'm not sure how I feel about the results. I'm happy with the apparent great deal I got on the Fluance set, But the great deal I thought I got on the klipsch doesn't seem to hot now. :thumbsdown: I know no some here have had disdain for the "The Fluance sx is worth $500" statements. For the record they seemed to have just edged out my kilpch mains that MSRP for $800. I hope some find this post useful!

Cheers
William

728x90

Derek H

Agent
thanks for the review, I think alot of people are looking at these speakers but are alittle suspect about quality due to the low price.

luke_ha

Stunt Coordinator
umm it looks like actually the sx's won out. Great to see a comparison. It would be interesting to see some more. Thanks william

Sheldon-m

Stunt Coordinator
that was the first report someone has done on fluance.
that was a great review. thanks will for it:emoji_thumbsup:

Alan M

Second Unit
As an SX owner for the last year and a half,its nice to see the comparison.My friends have been amazed at the sound quality in stereo mode of my SX towers.I'm glad to see agreement to what my ears have been telling me.
Thanks William.

Dammmmit! I have been trying to decide on speakers for a few weeks now and after this review, I said to myself, "buy the Fluance SX package". I get my card out, go to fluance.com and guess what? 6 to 8 week lead time. The money I've been waiting for just became available yesterday, isn't that some hard luck!!

Sheldon-m

Stunt Coordinator
See now everybody is buying them. You snooze you loose.
Man they have so many orders they have a back order. When i ordered mine it took a week. mike i would still get them. there was i guy on here that got upgraded towers because of the long lead time. they gave him what they had in stock.

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
Upgraded SYSTEM - the whole SX turned into SV10's, 6's and the best center! 5 boxes shipped, 147 lbs, in transit right now....

luke_ha

Stunt Coordinator
yeah i ordered mine about 4 days ago and they were fine i am amazed at how fast that went.

WilliamMc

Stunt Coordinator
I expect some reviews back on the new sv-6 bookshelves some of you got upgraded to. For $100, I may want to turn my SX-HTB set into a 7.1 setup.

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
I just tested the SX mains against Infinity Alpha 40's. Although the Alpha 40's were clearly superior overall (especially in the high end), the SX's are darn near remarkable considering their price. Awesome bass...not just quantity, but quality. Nice soundstage, nice imaging. Female focals pretty much were the should be on the 'Z' plane.

Quite honestly, the SX-HTB would still be a bargain at twice the price!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Denapix
Recent bookmarks