What's new

Fixed Screen vs. Roll Up? (1 Viewer)

Russell Volz

Agent
Is there a "significant" difference between a fixed screen and a roll up screen? I really want to do a ceiling mounted roll up, but everyone seems to have a fixed.

Hi Russell,

I had the same issue and am interested to hear what others have to say on the topic too. I went with a ceiling mounted pull down screen mounted in front of my 60" TV. I still wanted to use the TV for sports and stuff, then I just pull down the screen when I want to watch movies.

I've read where the roll-up screens can become wrinkled over time and since I've only had mine a few weeks I can't really speak to that... but I do have to say that I couldn't be happier with my pull down screen.

I think the fixed screens look a little nicer from an aesthetic standpoint, but my situation didn't really lend itself to that.

I'm sure others will have strong opinions one way or the other, but in all honesty, you probably can't go wrong either way.

Let us know what you decide,

-Bill

Eric Samonte

Screenwriter
If I were in Bill's situation, then there would be no other choice then, right? I guess its a case to case basis. If its gonna be a dedicated HT room, u would be better off with a fixed one. With that, u wouldn't have to contend with wrinkles, wavy scenes, etc. And aren't fixed screens cheaper that pull downs?

Russell Volz

Agent
Bill,

What roll up did you buy? How did you mount it? Where did you buy it? How much did it cost? What projector do you have? Thanks.

Russell

Russell,

I bought the Da-lite high-contrast model B , 4:3 ratio, 60" x 80". This gives a 100" diagonal in 4:3.

I bought it online Ritz Audio-Visual assosicates. I don't recall the exact price but I think it was roughly in the $175 range.

As for my projector, I have a Dell 2200mp . Got a great deal from our Dell rep at work and I couldn't be happier with it.

Again, I can't speak to the wrinkling as I understand it's supposed to happen over time, but as far as wavey scenes, it just doesn't happen. I started to go with something a little more expensive but I'm sure glad I didn't. The model B is perfect for me.

Here's a few pics of how I have my screen mounted...

If you're leaning towards a roll-up screen because it meets your needs... I would go with it. I don't think you'll be disappointed. I'm sure not...

Let me know if you have any more questions.

-Bill

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
I echo many of the sentiments here. Pulldown may get wrinkles over time that will not necessarily be visible from the main seating location but will be the further away you get from the centre axis (to the sides). I had a pulldown prior so this setup I have now, mainly because my boys were very young and I was afraid they would mistake the screen for a colouring board. I ended up having the screen down 99.999% of the time anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks