What's new

First Timer Questions (1 Viewer)

SimonPhoenix91

Auditioning
Real Name
Ben
I'm a first timer here looking to jump into the HT arena and stumbled upon this forum here while researching a few questions (seems I came to the right place!) I've got a good idea of what I want, but am confused as to what cables/connectors I'll need to get everything hooked up properly--want to make sure I don't forget anything. Feel free to comment on my component choices as well.

Here's what I've got.....

TV: 42" Panasonic Plasma (TH-42PX80U)
Western Digital HD Media Player
JVC HX-D77 (a 'compact component system' that will be replaced by the pieces below)

.....and am looking to get

Receiver: Sony STR-DH500
Speakers: Sony SS-B3000 (Bookshelves)
Sony SS-CR3000 (1 Center & 2 Surround)
Subwoofer: Sony SAW-2500
DVD: Sony DVP-NS710H *(am not currently interested in BluRay)

I'm pretty sure I'll need 2 HDMI Cables (1 to connect the receiver & TV and 1 to connect the receiver & DVD Player) and then a Coaxial Audio (?) cable (for audio--running between the receiver & DVD player as well). Where I get confused is the speakers and subwoofer.....I know the 3 speaker set will probably come pre-wired, but am not sure about the two larger ones & the sub. So might I need to plan on throwing in some extra wire? If so, are there any general tips on what to look for and how hard it would be to get it all wired up?

Thanks!

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Hi Ben,

Why all Sony gear? Higher end Sony stuff is usually pretty good, lower end stuff... YMMV. However, Sony is NOT a speaker company....

All speakers, unless they are some proprietary junk, will connect with standard speaker wire. Get a spool from Monoprice.com or Blue Jeans Cables. Get at least 16 gauge. Don't overspend on expensive stuff. Your sub, if it is powered, will connect using a coax type cable. Again, you can get this from the mentioned sites.

SimonPhoenix91

Auditioning
Real Name
Ben
Dave--

Why all the Sony stuff?? Eh, I haven't actually been looking too long (intend to def. look some more before buying....) and I'll admit price plays somewhat of a role. Thanks for the adv. though about the wiring.

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by SimonPhoenix91

I'd like to keep it all under $1150-1200 if possible.......kinda tight I know,

Actually that's a pretty decent budget compared to what many others are trying to scrape together systems with. I would do something like:

receiver: Onkyo 507 or Yamaha 465 (~$330)
speakers: TSC TSBLT package (~$500)
BD player: LG BD370 ($235)
wiring: 3 HDMI + speaker wire spool + RCA cable for sub (~$35 monoprice)
(one HDMI for your WD media player, or a future component, you might want to get an
extra one for future to save on shipping)

That's about $1100 and state of the art.
I know you said you didn't want BD, but I can't justify buying new DVD player now, do you have an old one you can use instead if you don't want to buy now?

SimonPhoenix91

Auditioning
Real Name
Ben
I actually ran across the 507 the other day at a local retailer......looks pretty good there from what I saw. As for the speakers, I found the Klipsch HDT300 package at the same place.

The DVD player was merely an extravagance on my part. I do have another one (a JVC XV-N410) in another room I can bring back in, so that's no problem (would just need a simple set of component cables to connect it to the reciever--doesn't have HDMI).

Throw in the HDMI cables + speaker wire + RCA for the sub and it looks like I could shave off some dough (by putting off BD).

((How hard would it be to wire up the speakers?? Never done any of that before.....))

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter
Wiring is easy in terms of stripping the wire & connecting to the terminals. Tricky part is the rear speakers if you are trying for something hidden like under carpet or something.

The Klipsch speakers are ~$300 online. They are substantially smaller than the set I recommended, and as such will be sacrificing performance in the bass department in comparison.

Old DVD player, I'd just run the component video straight to the set, no particular need to run it to the receiver (which then would require another set to run to the TV). Use digital coax/optical for the sound.

SimonPhoenix91

Auditioning
Real Name
Ben
Thanks for the advice regarding the wiring. Have enough furniture in this room, plan on just running the wires behind everything--nothing too complicated.

Will definitely keep that in mind about the speakers/DVD player too.

:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks