What's new

first post.. need tons of help!! (1 Viewer)

ricky fundin

Auditioning
I am in the process of refinancing my home to build a 499 sq foot theater/ recording studio. I haven't even had the slab poured and I am tring to find out as much as possible first. Before I even consider what type of projector and speakers to get, I need to resolve some issues with running cables and such.
I was thinking about running a dvi cable from the future projector on the ceiling to the dvd player built in the wall but I am having trouble finding these longer than 12 feet. Would you notice that much difference on a projector running component wires as opposed to dvi?
I was reading up on bass shakers but the thing is since I am doing a studio/ theater combo, the couch or seating may have to be moved from time to time. Do they make some sort of rca or wire plug/ cover that would mount flush to a wood/ pergo type floor that wouldn't look too ugly?
Due to the odd nature of this recording studio/ theater project, there is no "back" wall in the "theater" part of the room. I was thinking of having a wool or other heavy material curtain seperate the 2 spaces. The problem is I have no back wall to mount rear surround(s) for a 6.1 or 7.1 system. Would ceiling mounted rears somewhat behind the seating area work? Would it be worth it to have my framer and drywaller rig a small portion of the ceiling at an angle twords the seats?
Last question, promise. In regards to those rear surrounds, it is my understanding that the only difference between a 6.1 and 7.1 is that the rear signal is divided with power for a second rear speaker and that there is no stereo imaging with back surrounds, one signal just split into 2. Is this true or do new recievers actually decode the rears into 2 different signals.
Sorry this was so long. Any help at all given would be very appreciated. I know this is a very unusuall setup so I am sure I am going to have plenty to deal with on the way, Thanks

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Welcome to the Forum, Ricky!

There is stereo imaging between the left and right surrounds, but not between the two surrounds on any one side (i.e., from front surround to rear surround)

The purpose of 7.1, IMO, is simply to add a second set of rear speakers, either to the side or rear walls, when you have a large room, especially when you have a couple of rows (or more) of seating. It makes sure everyone in the room gets the rear effects evenly. If you have a smaller room, or one using s single sofa, I wouldn’t bother with 7.1

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Jack Ferry

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jack Ferry

I agree with Wayne that there's not much visible difference, but I'd recommend running a DVI cable anyway if possible. (Longer lengths are available if you search around online.) It's much easier and cheaper to do it now while the walls and ceiling are open; retro-fiting is a huge pain. I ran a DVI cable not knowing if I would need it, and wound up using it almost immediately. (In my case, cable tv is on the DVI and DVDs are on component. I can therefore select the input using the projector instead of having to run it through a switching box.)

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but on my DD-EX / DTS-ES receiver (Denon) the two rear surrounds are mono and are a different signal entirely (matrixed in EX and ES, discrete in ES-Discrete) from the side surrounds. The two rear surrounds are the "rear" channel of the DD-EX and DTS-ES format played in both channels and are definitely not the same signal as the "surrounds on any one side". This is quite different from your explanation, Wayne.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Hmmm... Come to think of it you’re right, Jeff. 7.1 is merely 6.1 with two rear speakers instead of one rear center. I’d forgotten about that, what with the way people typically arrange them, as the rear speakers, instead of between the two rears (as with 6.1). Thanks for the correction.

So – Ricky’s assessment is correct:Sorry for the misinformation. :b
Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

joseph westcott

Second Unit
It depends on the length of the run but I would strongly suggest running HDMI cables instead. It seems this is the direction the technology is going and attaching an adapter at one end or the other is fairly straightforward. HDMI seems to perform better over longer runs, as well.

I would suggest running a conduit in the ceiling or the floor ahead of time so as technology changes, you will still have access to the wiring. We are all human and we can not think of everything but do not forget about phone lines for satellite, network cable for a possible HTPC or game consoles, firewire, component, composite, audio cables,subwoofer cables, speaker cables, satellite and cable cables, UHFVHF for OTA signals, etc.

I am sure I forgot something but I guess that is the point of my suggestion for an accessible conduit. I ran my wires under the quick step flooring in a channel cut in the foundation. Very easy to implement and since you have new construction, would cost practically nothing to implement.

Good Luck.

chuckg

Supporting Actor
If the question about the rear channel speakers is meant to answer "should I run two sets of wires?" the answer is YES! In fact, run three sets, one to the center back, and one to each side of center back. That gives maximum flexibility for reasonable cost.

I may be totally wrong, but I think my receiver tries to decode the rear channel into two rears, based on what sounds are in the side surrounds. (don't have a rear set yet......will when I upgrade the surrounds to match the fronts!)

ricky fundin

Auditioning
thanks for all the help guys. I was reading some posts and a lot of people have negative opinions about the in-wall speakers. I was thinking about infinity ers hv 250s. Anyone familliar with these? I am using infinity alphas in my front room and love them.
Would running rear surrounds on the side walls but behind the seating be less or more effective opposed to over head but behind the seating?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks