What's new

Finished! Dual Sealed AV12s WOW! (1 Viewer)

JimRHIT

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Everyone,
Yesterday I got around to building a temporary box or my AV12s...turns out it is a keeper! I had originally planned 2 AV12 w/ 4 PR15s, but after hearing this I cannot believe my ears.
I built a 3.2 ft^3 box (single chamber for the AV12s) sealed 100% with silicone sealer in all areas. It was very nice that the AV12s have that rubber gasket around the basket...rather helpful.
Hooked up to my NAD 216 at 225W per driver, all I have to say is that all output equals or exceeds my old 7.5ft^3 Tempest. Musicality is greater than that of a Servo-15 in my opinion. (It feels like Sade has a new bass-line). I have never know what bass presence was until last night,, it was like the bass was a complete part of the sound...from the mains, not the subwoofer.
HT performance was an excellent demonstration of its quickness and impact. I will admit that it does not possess the extreme EXTENSION of the tempest, but it passes the Haunting TS2, and Matrix w/ flying colors for me

I now plan on getting two more AV12s for the other side to get a stereo effect, and I also like the look better. If anyone knows could post some pictures for me, I would love to email them to you!!!

EDIT: http://www.rose-hulman.edu/~walterjj/

Any questions post here or [email protected]

jim walter :)

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, the AV12 is too cool. I'm just using one at the moment in a ~1ft^3 box, only 250 watts and the Linkwitz transform circuit but it's very impressive. Even without the boost, it really puts out on all but the deepest "Haunting-style" bass.

John E Janowitz

Second Unit
Jim, can you send me a pic with a closeup on the drivers there? That bottom one looks like something completely different than what most people were seeing with the cones.

John

JimRHIT

Stunt Coordinator
Keep in mind that this is not a finished box...it was made as something to do with some scrap wood. I plan on making the twin with the same material, and use both of them untill this summer when I can sit down with some real tools and make some furniture pieces.

So, if they look ghetto....that's because they are ghetto...I wish they looked better...but for now the sound makes up for the looks.

JOHN: I will try and get that picture back to you by tomorrow...no promises...finals review week :eek: :eek:

Jim

Frank Carter

Screenwriter
Im waiting for my :D AV15:D Im using it in a sealed 3ft^3 alignment in my car! but I am not sure when it is coming

John E Janowitz

Second Unit
As an update, AV15's should be arriving here monday and shipping out right away. I'll keep everyone updated and get out tracking numbers as soon as they do ship.

John

Bryan Michael

Supporting Actor
what kind of srews do you recomend using?and i dont want to mess with t nuts. would a drywall screw work or do i need a screw with a pan head?

John E Janowitz

Second Unit
I just use #8 drywall screws. I believe #10 will fit the basket also, but the head won't fit through the holes on the gasket so it's more difficult to do.

John

Allen Ross

Supporting Actor
i loved the machine screws that i used, there the same ones PE ships, but i had to get inch and half because of my reinforcements still with two allen wrenches i can take everything on and off as many times as i need, which comes in handy when i move it back and forth from college.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks