What's new

Final 3. Veritas 2.1 vs Studio40's vs LSi9's (1 Viewer)

paulBAW

Stunt Coordinator
I have been in search for a new set of bookshelve speakers for some months now. I have listened to the following Speakers:

Energy Veritas 2.1
Paradigm Studio 40's
Polk Audio LSi9's

Because I can get the LSi9's at a much better price then the other two speakers I'm still keeping them in the running. The Audition hardware wasn't up to the same spec as the Veritas and Studio 40's however, and that may play a role on my conclusions.

The Energy Veritas blew my hair back. The bass and mid bass response was much greater then I thought it would be capable of dishing out. They seem to be fairly efficient. I will for the very short term have these speakers hooked up to a NAD 320BEE intergrated Amp. The NAD will then be converted to a pre and my Bryston 3B will act as power. The soundstage wasn't quite as large as the Paradigms but more then the LSi's. The stands are at a very high high price. They retail at $600 CDN which would push the full retail up to over $2000 CDN. This could be a factor in the end.

The Paradigm 40's are cheaper provided I dont go with the Rosenut finish. The stands will save me almost $300. The 40's also have better then expected bass extention. I have used Sigur Rios as my demo disc. Alot of Sigurs Music can be found on the Vanilla Sky soundtrack. I dont listen to Jazz, or classical so I want to make sure I buy a "loudspeaker" instead of a "sweetspeaker". I'm not a european fan of "sweetspeakers" and thus maybe that's why I dont appreciate the merits of the Polk Audio LSi9's.

I found the Polk Audio LSi9's to be more sweet and delicate. I found this surprising as I know the long history they have had as an American Company. Heck I sell their lower end R & RTi lineup. I have kept the Polk on the List because I know with proper amplification I can get more out of them in the long term. And the deal I can get on them is significantly more then the other two. But I still can't help think they are the wrong speakers for my musical tastes. Classic Rock, Hip Hop, Trance, New Wave, Alternative are more of the tastes I listen too. Anything from Pink Floyds Dark side of the Moon on SACD to Janes Addiction and I'm there.

So factoring in the Price of the Veritas with stands and potential resale value I think they are either on par or better then the Studio 40's. The Paradigms are almost on par in terms of sound and are cheaper. But they might not have the resale value of the Veritas down the road if I did decide to resell. But that extra $300 savings on stands could mean a Bryston is on the way much faster. And to me that's key.

The polk audio LSi9's as I write this are all but eliminated. I can get these speakers at an insane price one time and legally. But I dont think at the end of the day I'd be as happy as the Veritas 2.1 or the Studio 40's. But when I say happy, I dont think I'd be all that "unhappy" either, they are great speakers.

So with this mini novel I'm more or less asking for a few comments that might push me over the edge. I don't know about some of you folks but its fun for only so long. Now I just want to get this thing over with. Too many times I stare blankly while eating or watching TV thinking, "what if...what if". I have to admitt it was fun in the beginning, now I just more or less want to move on and get this thing over with.

Doug Fogle

Stunt Coordinator
Great post!Its like you've been reading my mind.Polk Lsi and studio series are both on my short list too and I"m hoping to hear energy next week.Not to add to the insanity,but you might want to check out Phase technology 3.1's if possible-I was very impressed with the 9.1 floorstanders.They seemed to combine the best features of the polk and the paridigm for me.(great soundfield like the studio's and a sweet high end like the polk's)

Michael Mathius

Senior HTF Member
Paul:

I have all Energy speakers and love them. I don't know why Energy sell their stands so expensive. If you are handy then I would suggest you build your own at a fraction of the cost. I seen a few people build their own and they looked quite impressive.

Michael

Jason Brent

Second Unit
I suppose I'm prejudice, but I'd go with the 40's. I have the 60's, and love them. It was a tough choice between the 40's and 60's.

Here's my personal opinion. I've listened to the Energy line, and while they are nice speakers, I liked the midrange on the Paradigm a little better.

Additionally with the extra funds available to help you get the Bryston, I would definitely go that route.

As far as resale value, what future upgrades do you have in mind in which you wouldn't be using them anymore? The Studio 40 would also be a great center, or surround speaker.

ernie.bin

Stunt Coordinator
I paid about the same for my studio60s as the studio40s + premiere stands would have cost.

I thought the 60s looked better, and I wanted a little more bass.

the 40s are definitely easier to get home and move around though =)

Jason Brent

Second Unit
It depends on what stands you get for the 40's. If you get the real nice premier stands, the total cost is about the same as the 60's.

The 60's have a little better extension, but I think that the 40's might be a little bit 'punchier'

One thing I was worried about with the 40's was concealing the speaker wire behind the stand.

Either speaker is an excellent product for the money IMO.

Terry.P

Stunt Coordinator
I have Veritas 2.4 fronts, 2.0C and 2.1 sides with stands. If you can squeeze it into your budget get 2.2's. You will not be disapointed. The dome midrange is amazing!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks