What's new

Films that were intended for theatrical release but instead premiered on television or home video (1 Viewer)

Tom St Jones

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Thomas
Looking to create a list of films that were made (conception--to--finish) with a cinema release in mind, but that for whatever reason ended up debuting on TV or went straight to video/streaming (omitting films that debuted on streamng due to 2020--21 Covid pandemic as well as foreign films released theatrically in their home countries [eg. '90s Godzilla films, various Jackie Chan titles] but only video/TV in N. America)

Three I can think of:

OPERATION HEARTBEAT (Aka U.M.C.) (1969) Edward G Robinson, Maurice Evans, Kevin McCarthy, Kim Stanley, Shelley Fabares; Debuted as pilot for "Medical Center" TV series starring Chad Everett & James Daly

CLASS OF NUKE 'EM HIGH (1986) (video)

LIVE WIRE (1992) Pierce Brosnan, Ron Silver, Ben Cross (premiered on HBO)

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Well, the most obvious ones are the movies that got moved to streaming because of the pandemic.

Trolls World Tour
Artemis Fowl
The One and Only Ivan
Mulan
Soul
Luca
Turning Red
The Mitchells vs. the Machines
Vivo
Coming 2 America
Greyhound
The Trial of the Chicago 7

and probably others I don't remember

The Cloverfield Paradox and Andy Serkis' Mowgli movie were also produced for theatrical release and ultimately unloaded on Netflix for reasons other than the pandemic.

so as The Irishman and Greyhound...

Greyhound counts because Sony produced it for theatrical release and then sold it to Apple during the pandemic.

The Irishman does not count because it was produced by Netflix for the express purpose of releasing it onto Netflix. The limited theatrical release, which it did get, was essentially a courtesy to Scorsese..

Tom St Jones

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Thomas
does PREY considered as one?
production budget comes close to cinematic project, but ends up streaming...
Assuming you mean the 2022 "Predator" prequel, not sure about that one

Well, the most obvious ones are the movies that got moved to streaming because of the pandemic.

Trolls World Tour
Artemis Fowl
The One and Only Ivan
Mulan
Soul
Luca
Turning Red
The Mitchells vs. the Machines
Vivo
Coming 2 America
Greyhound
The Trial of the Chicago 7

and probably others I don't remember

The Cloverfield Paradox and Andy Serkis' Mowgli movie were also produced for theatrical release and ultimately unloaded on Netflix for reasons other than the pandemic.

Greyhound counts because Sony produced it for theatrical release and then sold it to Apple during the pandemic.

The Irishman does not count because it was produced by Netflix for the express purpose of releasing it onto Netflix. The limited theatrical release, which it did get, was essentially a courtesy to Scorsese..
As I stated at the beginning of the thread, this list omits films that debuted on streaming due to the Covid pandemic.

Richard M S

Screenwriter
There's only my memory to go on but in 1992 there was a terrific, now-forgotten TV film called Stompin' at the Savoy. Debbie Allen directed this all-female lead film musical. Vanessa Williams, Jasmine Guy and Lynn Whitfield starred. I remember reading at the time that it was meant for the movies, but the box office potential for it was considered neglible, so to network tv it went.

YANG

Screenwriter
Assuming you mean the 2022 "Predator" prequel, not sure about that one

As I stated at the beginning of the thread, this list omits films that debuted on streaming due to the Covid pandemic.
PREY is a straight to stream on HuLu film that dont get theatrical screenings according to previous discussion in another thread.

and touching on sequels and follow ups, Universal badge comes into mind starting with 3rd/4th Tremors sequel, Backdraft 2, and Jarhead 3?

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
and touching on sequels and follow ups, Universal badge comes into mind starting with 3rd/4th Tremors sequel, Backdraft 2, and Jarhead 3?
But were any of those originally planned for theatrical release? There's a ton of direct-to-video sequels since the 80's, but it seems kind of rare to have a planned theatrical film end up going direct to video or cable (aside from pandemic titles). There have been some films that it seems like they should have been theatrical releases as sequels to popular franchises, but they are made for streaming like the aforementioned Prey and Disney's Hocus Pocus 2.

The more likely scenario lately has been films planned for streaming that are then redirected to theaters. A couple of those would be Evil Dead Rise and Magic Mike's Last Dance.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Tremors 2 was supposed to have a theatrical release, but I don’t think any of the others were.
Yep, after Kevin Bacon and Reba McEntire both dropped out, it was shifted from theatrical to video release only.

Philip Verdieck

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Philip Verdieck
Boondock Saints, due to Columbine. But according to wiki it had a 5 theater 1 week release. That might as well not count as a cinematic release.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Here's a good one. Trick R Treat!

trick or treat.jpg

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I believe Fear (‘90) with Ally Sheedy was originally going to be a theatrical release.

And Return Of The Musketeers never got a US theatrical release

Tom St Jones

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Thomas
Boondock Saints, due to Columbine. But according to wiki it had a 5 theater 1 week release. That might as well not count as a cinematic release.
If it's cinema run was only cancelled due to an (clearly significant and tragic) event such as that, it should be assumed the film was meant for theatrical release and therefore *would* count

Last edited:

Nathan_H

Second Unit
Dan Trachtenberg interviewed on the Filmcast said Prey was shot for theaters.

Could covid have changed that plan? Maybe but theaters were open when it was premiered on Hulu. Presumably someone ran the numbers and it was a better gamble to take the streamers money. A shame because it has vistas to rival the Revenant.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
It's a shame, either way, as Prey had great reviews and a relatively modest budget ($65 million). Seems like it would have been a good candidate for theaters last year in the late summer or early fall. It reportedly had good audience numbers on Hulu, but no mention anywhere of whether it generated the millions of dollars worth of new subscribers comparable to what it might have earned in theaters.

If it ever comes to home media, I'll likely buy it. But it's not something that will get me to subscribe to Hulu.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annefnlys01
Recent bookmarks