What's new

Film Noir Tournament (1 Viewer)

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Chinatown, for me no question that it is noir (even with the color)-- 'Third Man' is only close to noir.

abstain

Jan H

Senior HTF Member
The Third Man - it fits the loose definition of noir, and it's a helluva lot closer to it than some other movies in this tourney.
Double Indemnity

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
The Third Man wins 7 - 5.
Double Indemnity wins 8 - 2.
Final Match
Double Indemnity vs. The Third Man

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
Double Indemnity

Can't believe the way it blew out Maltese Falcon though. Fred McMurray over Bogey??!!

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I don't consider McMurray over Bogart much of a factor in that decision; especially since McMurray was excellent in Double Indemnity.
For myself, my vote was based upon other considerations, particularly the strength of Barbara Stanwyck's character; who satisfied and defined, one of the predominate characteristics of noir - namely the femme fatale who lures a weaker male into crime either through blackmail, or the promise of easy money, and / or sex. That's not to say that any film that doesn't have a femme fatale can't be a noir, but it is one of the hallmarks of noir and no film establishes that concept better than Double Indemnity, IMHO. ( Although Ann Savage in Detour comes close. )
- Walter.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks