What's new

Film Noir on Blu-ray... (1 Viewer)

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
Thomas T said:
The recent death of noir icon Lizabeth Scott served as a reminder that the the Technicolor noir Desert Fury (1947) would make a stunning looking blu ray.
I recently saw a nice restoration of the orphaned "Too Late for Tears," one of my favorites starring Lizabeth Scott. I hope that one makes it to blu ray. The various public domain DVDs are terrible.

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Rob_Ray said:
I recently saw a nice restoration of the orphaned "Too Late for Tears," one of my favorites starring Lizabeth Scott. I hope that one makes it to blu ray. The various public domain DVDs are terrible.
I agree, I would love, just LOVE a Criterion release of this film. I do have the DVD that is the best PQ of the bunch but that isnt saying much at least the last time I checked. It is a great film. RIP Lizabeth Scott :(

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
Rob_Ray said:

It was restored through a joint effort by the Hollywood Foreign Press Associates and the Film Noir Foundation, so we may finally see a decent home video version one of these days.

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
Thomas T said:
The recent death of noir icon Lizabeth Scott served as a reminder that the the Technicolor noir Desert Fury (1947) would make a stunning looking blu ray.
desert+fury+lizabeth+scott.jpg

Indeed!

Kenneth_C

Second Unit
Some additions/corrections to the list:

Ace in the Hole is on Blu from Criterion.

Criss Cross in not on Blu, only DVD.

The Dark Corner is regular DVD, not DVD-R. It's part of the Fox Film Noir line.

Scarlet Street is on Blu from Kino, as is The Stranger.

Shadow of a Doubt is on Blu from Universal.

Strangers on a Train is on Blu from Warners.

Sweet Smell of Success is on Blu from Criterion.

Regarding the book "Film Noir: An Encyclopedic Reference to the American Style": I don't know which edition you have (I have the first from 1979) and though it is not without value, it is also rife with errors. You can tell that some of the synopses were written from memory as they get many details wrong and, in the worst cases, bear only a passing resemblance to the actual film! I trust that newer editions have corrected some of the more egregious errors. Also, the selection of films includes some that (imo) don't belong, while missing others that clearly do.

I've been on a noir kick for the past several months and find there's nothing better than encountering some of the lesser-known films for the first time. (My recent 'discoveries' include Stranger on the Third Floor, Born to Kill, Crossfire, Raw Deal, Cry of the City, and the noir-ish period thriller The Black Book.) I also had the pleasure of seeing a 35mm print of Desert Fury at the New Beverly last week -- and promptly ordered the DVD from Australia!

clambake

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jamie
A couple weeks ago I read another actress (can't remember who) being called 'The Queen Of Film Noir'..And I was thinking, for me, the correct answer would be Veronica.

Gromilini

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Michael Logan
clambake said:
A couple weeks ago I read another actress (can't remember who) being called 'The Queen Of Film Noir'..And I was thinking, for me, the correct answer would be Veronica.

An excellent choice, and hard to argue with. For me, I'd be hard pressed to choose between Barbara Stanwyck, Claire Trevor, and Marie Windsor.

P

Patrick Donahue

clambake said:
Ida Lupino should definitely be in the discussion - she even directed a noir

RMajidi

Premium
Real Name
Ramin
larryKR said:
There are many noirs I would like on Blu-ray, a few I haven't seen mentioned are Narrow Margin, Crime Wave, Tension, The Killers, and Pushover.
Arrow Films UK recently released The Killers in an impressive (albeit Region B locked) Blu Ray package. Well worth importing for those with region-free players.

I'd like to see other Siodmak noirs Criss Cross and The Spiral Staircase on Blu.

RMajidi

Premium
Real Name
Ramin
...and Farewell My Lovely with Robert Mitchum delivering a stellar rendition of Philip Marlowe. This was a stylish 70s-made (but set in the 40s) version of the Chandler novel and featured a great supporting cast.

chas speed

Second Unit
Real Name
jeff
Robert Harris said:
The Grifters...
I noticed that "The Grifters" is getting re-released on Blu-ray in March. I hope they remastered it because it seems like their is plenty of room for improvement on the last Blu-ray release. It just doesn't seem like this film has gotten the Blu-ray treatment it deserves. Did you produce "The Grifters"?

clambake

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jamie
Patrick Donahue said:
Ida Lupino should definitely be in the discussion - she even directed a noir
Yeah, if I was making a 'Top 10 Film Noir actresses', Ida Lupino and Coleen Gray would be on it for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annefnlys01
Recent bookmarks