What's new

Film Noir on Blu-ray... (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I know, picked it up and skimmed through it, but haven't watched it properly yet. November is approaching faster now I did pick up that copy of the whistle at Eaton Falls. Haven't watched it yet either for that very fact that I'm actually trying to save up stuff and compile a better than just randomly grabbing off the shelf this time. But all of it's just randomly going to end up being pulling off the shelf.
I watched "The Whistle at Eaton Falls" several months ago when it played on TCM. I bought the Blu-ray in April, but haven't watched it yet. It might be one of my candidate for this year's "Noirvember" Challenge. Some other recommendations:

1661266802281.png
1661266831158.png
1661266880564.png

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
TCM's Noir Alley Schedule this Fall:

09-03-22: Hit and Run
09-10-22: Obsession
09-17-22: The Naked Street
09-24-22: I Love Trouble
10-01-22: The Red House
10-08-22: The Phenix City Story
10-15-22: The Argyle Secrets
10-22-22: Cage of Evil
10-29-22: El Vampiro Negro
11-05-22: City of Fear
11-12-22: Tension
11-19-22: The Unfaithful
11-26-22: Death of a Cyclist
12-03-22: Decoy
12-10-22: Walk Softly, Stranger
12-17-22: Mr. Soft Touch

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
I will have to see if that's on the TMC app on HBO Max because I cut the cord years ago that's why I do a lot of physical releases

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I will have to see if that's on the TMC app on HBO Max because I cut the cord years ago that's why I do a lot of physical releases
Man, I couldn't live without TCM. You can take away HBO and HBO Max, but I can't live without TCM. The same applies to any other movie service. TCM is non-conditional for me.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
I know that Powerhouse/ Indicator is starting a new run this time it is the Universal Titles for it's film noir offerings, which many already stateside are getting their releases through Kino. What surprised me is with all of the Hammer Box Sets, that they didn't go after more of the Hammer Film Noir titles, or do a box of specifically Brit Noirs.

ClassicFlix

Insider
Real Name
David
I watched both of them last Fall when I got the Flicker Alley Blu-rays. Also, Eddie Muller showed them on "Noir Alley" last Fall. I thought both films were excellent. For some reason I didn't write a mini-review of "The Beast Must Die". However, "The Bitter Stems" was one of my "Noirvember" Challenge titles.

An interesting European Noirs is "The Man Who Watched Trains Go By" (1952) starring Claude Rains, Marta Toren, Marius Goring and Herbert Lom. I watched the Classixflix Blu-ray last night. A good presentation of a Technicolor movie.

View attachment 149580
Agreed!

- David
ClassicFlix Founder, Producer

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
I watched both of them last Fall when I got the Flicker Alley Blu-rays. Also, Eddie Muller showed them on "Noir Alley" last Fall. I thought both films were excellent. For some reason I didn't write a mini-review of "The Beast Must Die". However, "The Bitter Stems" was one of my "Noirvember" Challenge titles.

An interesting European Noirs is "The Man Who Watched Trains Go By" (1952) starring Claude Rains, Marta Toren, Marius Goring and Herbert Lom. I watched the Classixflix Blu-ray last night. A good presentation of a Technicolor movie.

View attachment 149580
I completely missed this title when it was released. However, I have rectified that by ordering it today. Thank you for alerting me on this. I can’t wait to watch it.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Ms. Stanwyck paired with a Noir script are like well a crafted work of art, she did so many great ones, and never just phoned it in!

and I know that a certain respected Crawdaddy, also holds her acting in high regards!

Double Indemnity is what everyone will automatically assume when you mention her and film noir, but there are others,

picture is worth a thousand words

1661402056605.png
1661402077528.png
1661402099788.png
1661402120120.png
1661402484392.png
1661402558058.png
1661403304443.png

and if your partial to Western Noir ;)

1661402708692.png
1661402741156.png

link explaining some choices

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Question for the group, has anyone picked up Kino/Library of Congress restoration of Native Son, it's on a list of titles I am looking at, Eddie Muller says its Noir, watched the trailer, and it looks like a winner.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Question for the group, has anyone picked up Kino/Library of Congress restoration of Native Son, it's on a list of titles I am looking at, Eddie Muller says its Noir, watched the trailer, and it looks like a winner.
I have it, but haven’t watched the Blu-ray. However, I have watched the movie as Muller showed it on TCM. It has noir elements, but the film would have been better if the lead was played by a better actor like Canada Lee or later on Poitier.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
I have it, but haven’t watched the Blu-ray. However, I have watched the movie as Muller showed it on TCM. It has noir elements, but the film would have been better if the lead was played by a better actor like Canada Lee or later on Poitier.
thanks, I will keep that in mind, my understanding had it been a younger actor, it would have been more inline with the book. I have added that to this years selections for my Noirvember Challenge,

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
thanks, I will keep that in mind, my understanding had it been a younger actor, it would have been more inline with the book. I have added that to this years selections for my Noirvember Challenge,
Richard Wright who wrote the novel wasn't an actor and it shows. If the movie was made by a real actor like Poitier, it would have been much more effective.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Well Mr Poitier could have read a phone book and I would have found it interesting one of the few that could do that and get away with it even at a younger age he already had the Charisma the gravitas to carry on almost anything. It's a damn shame that The Defiant Ones hasn't had a North American release yet in HD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks