What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Ferngully: The Last Rainforest 30th Anniversary Edition (1992) (Blu-ray Combo) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
81VAlBrj88L._SY679_.jpg

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
How did FernGully come to Shout Factory? It is a Fox catalog title. This seems like something Disney would hang onto for themselves since it fits in so nicely with their brand.

I never got around to picking up a previous edition so pre-ordered this one.

Last edited:

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
How did FernGully come to Shout Factory? It is a Fox catalog title. This seems like something Disney would hang onto for themselves since it fits in so nicely with their brand.

I never got around to picking up a previous edition so pre-ordered this one.

It's not actually a Fox title. Fox had US distribution rights for a while, but it's owned by a small company (currently Machine Media Advisors). The original Production company FAI went bankrupt in the last 90's and it's passed through a few hands since then it appears. I don't know if Fox had rights for a certain period of time or if those contracts expired and had to renogotiated when Fox was sold. Fox and Disney often contracted for Home Video or even theatrical distribution rights for many of these small independent companies who didn't have the resources, but the ultimate rights remained with the original companies rather than Fox/Disney buying the Film Outright. I think Brave Little Toaster fall into this realm as well

Wiki -- won't vouch that it's 100% accurate, but it feels correct.
"In 1998, FAI Insurance was acquired by HIH Insurance, which collapsed in March 2001.[2] In June 2012, administrators for HIH placed advertisements trying to sell the rights to both films.[3] On November 11th, 2021 Shout! Factory acquired all worldwide rights to Ferngully."

Last edited:

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Makes you wonder who owns Once Upon a Forest.

Hard to say 100%, but Fox us still listed as the Studio on 2018 BD release, the digital copies and streaming so I assume Disney is still in control of the US Home Video license. Even the UK DVD appears to be Fox.

Hanna-Barbera, Turner, and Warner all have had fingers on the scale at some point in it's history, but the Home Video rights
have always had Fox labels. It was mainly a H-B production from the start so I don't think a smaller company had dibs on the rights anywhere

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Makes you wonder who owns Once Upon a Forest.
If I had to hazard a guess, I would say Warner Bros. Discovery. Here's why: it's a Hanna-Barbera production from shortly after Turner acquired Hanna-Barbera, but before Warner acquired Turner, and distributed by 20th Century-Fox.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
If I had to hazard a guess, I would say Warner Bros. Discovery. Here's why: it's a Hanna-Barbera production from shortly after Turner acquired Hanna-Barbera, but before Warner acquired Turner, and distributed by 20th Century-Fox.
ITV Plc. also has a claim on it since HTV Wales originally forked up the cash for it as a tv special.

Oddly enough Fox has the least to do with the film other than distribution.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
abe31e72-b490-4b9f-b014-003b320a7764.jpg
Celebrate Thirty Years Of Magic In FernGully: The Last Rainforest!

FERNGULLY: THE LAST RAINFOREST
(30TH ANNIVERSARY EDITION)
COMING TO BLU-RAY™ + DVD
FROM SHOUT! KIDS ON AUGUST 23, 2022

The Celebratory Release Features A Gorgeous Restoration
And A New Introduction With Director Bill Kroyer
Ferngully_BR_PS_Ocard_300dpi.jpg
S.gif
S.gif
S.gif
Los Angeles, CA - The beloved animated feature FernGully: The Last Rainforest will be the recipient of an exciting new release ahead of its 30th Anniversary. On August 23, Shout! Factory will release FernGully: The Last Rainforest (30thAnniversary Edition) in a Blu-ray™ + DVD Combo. Thanks to an amazing restoration from a brand-new 4K scan of the original film elements, fans will be able to enjoy the film as never before.

Special features on FernGully: The Last Rainforest (30th Anniversary Edition) include a fascinating NEW introduction with director Bill Kroyer, which includes never-before-seen pencil, character and animation tests. Other features include multiple commentaries, featurettes, a music video, a multi-angle scene study, a script-to-scene comparison, and more. The Blu-Ray™ + DVD Combo is currently available for pre-order on Amazon and ShoutFactory.com.

Deep in the heart of the forest awaits a paradise filled with tiny sprites, winged fairies, tree spirits, and all kinds of animals who live together in joyful harmony. But when their home is threatened by humans, one courageous sprite must give her all to save it!

Featuring an all-star voice cast, including Robin Williams, Christian Slater, Samantha Mathis, Tim Curry, Cheech Marin, Tommy Chong, and Tone Loc, FernGully: The Last Rainforest is an iconic classic for kids of all ages, presented here in a special 2-Disc, 30th Anniversary Edition.

Based on the series of books by Australian author Diana Young, and directed by Bill Kroyer (Honey, I Shrunk The Kids), FernGully was a labor of love. The filmmakers used what was then brand-new special effects technology for penetrating layers of backgrounds, and to generate the beginning stages of drawings which were then completed by hand. 150,000 cels were created for FernGully, a total of 38 miles of artwork if they were laid end-to-end. Although many steps were computer assisted, every shot was primarily painted and animated by hand.

The key creative team spent time in the Australian rainforest to view first-hand one of the richest natural environments on earth, and drew inspiration from the multi-hued colors of the forest and exotic wildlife. As a result, FernGully is extraordinary in its attention to detail.

FernGully’s ecological message about the importance of the world’s rainforests had a strong impact on viewers 30 years ago. That message is timelier than ever in 2022, and the film continues to find new generations of fans.

FernGully: The Last Rainforest:
Crysta (Samantha Mathis) is a fairy who lives in FernGully, a rainforest in Australia, and has never seen a human before. In fact, she is told they are extinct. But when a logging company comes near the rainforest, she sees that they do exist, and even accidentally shrinks one of them: a boy named Zak (Jonathan Ward). Now her size, Zak sees the damage that the company does and helps Crysta to stop not only them, but an evil entity named Hexxus (Tim Curry), who feeds off pollution.

Blu-ray: 1080p High-Definition Widescreen (1.85:1)/English DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 & Stereo
DVD: Anamorphic Widescreen (1.85:1)/English Dolby Digital 5.1 & Stereo
English SDH Subtitles/1992/Color/Approximate Feature Running Time +/- 80 Minutes
Rated G, Canadian G

Special Features:​
  • NEW Introduction With Director Bill Kroyer, Which Includes Never-Before-Seen Pencil, Character And Animation Tests
  • Audio Commentary with Bill Kroyer, Art Director Ralph Eggleston and Coordinating Art Director Susan Kroyer
  • “Seed of the Story” – Script-To-Screen Comparison with Optional Commentary by Screenwriter Jim Cox
  • “From Paper to Tree” – Making-of Featurette
  • “Behind The Voice: Toxic Love” – Multi-Angle Scene Study
  • Original Featurette
  • “If I’m Gonna Eat Somebody (It Might As Well Be You)” Music Video
  • Theatrical Trailers and TV Spots

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samrinriya
Recent bookmarks