What's new

Fedex deliberate shipping damage dilemma, please read (1 Viewer)

Bullitt1165

Auditioning
Real Name
Leon
I purchased an Onkyo TX-NR1010 online and Fedex delivered it to my door. I was at home when they came, but I did not hear them arrive. They did not knock or push the door bell. I just heard a big POW-BANG outside front door. By the time I'd realized it was Fedex (2 seconds) and got outside (5 seconds) they were driving away. My Onkyo AV reciever was standing up on its side on my concrete front porch. The front face of the reciever was the side that was down on the concrete. I brought it inside and unboxed it inspecting for damage. The side of the box that was sitting down on the concrete is slightly smashed in all across it. The styrofoam covering the front face of the reciever is cracked 85% completely through in the location of the volume knob. There is no cosmetic damage to the outside or face of the reciever and the front door opens & closes great.

I have contacted Fedex and they have arranged to have the reciever picked up for return to the online store. But I would rather keep it if I was sure it was not damaged from the shock of being dropped so hard on my front porch.
I dont know what was the problem with the Fedex driver, if he was pissed off or just in a hurry. But he threw the reciever down on my porch. On its side!

So my question is: how or what can I check to make sure the reciever is ok?
And also how tough are these electronic devices? Should I send it back or keep it?
P1000425_zps641b27f2.jpg

P1000428_zpsb01052ca.jpg

P1000427_zps7dbe526b.jpg

P1000426_zps100c6739.jpg

ciscoarizona

Auditioning
That's a pretty hard drop to break the Styrofoam. I think if you don't see exterior damage it's a good start. The receiver doesn't really have moving parts like a hard drive. But slamming the unit can move parts internally. Do a quick test and crank if up really loud and see if you hear any weird sounds. Make sure it's not overheating also. Keep the box and if the test fails, take it to FedEx. Your item is insured through them. Or don't open it and go straight to FedEx if you don't feel good about it.

Dan Driscoll

Supporting Actor
I wouldn't even open the box, I'd make Fed-Ex take it back immediately. Once you open it making a claim gets quite a bite more difficult, IME.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I've been delivered worse boxes than that. Matter of fact I got a USPS box today of breakables from Florida. That box looks worse...and nothing broke.

The box/packing did its job. Assuming you bought it authorized, you have a two year warranty. If anything...send a picture to Onkyo support so they'll know the box is screwed up incase you have to mail it in for service in the future.

Dave B Ferris

Screenwriter
Kind of a scary thought: for all of our packages, how are they handled *before* they are ever dropped at the front door? Are the packages tossed around in various warehouses, or tossed onto trucks? Do packages bump into other packages on the truck?In other words, there's always an element of faith at play.I think schan1269's advice is solid.

Bullitt1165

Auditioning
Real Name
Leon
Hey thanks guys

Actually I recieved it last friday (DEC 31st) and hooked it up over the weekend. This is my 1st AV reciever ever and none of my friends have one either so I'm not sure what they are supposed to sound or work like.

I have it connected to a blueray via HDMI to a new plasma TV and a 5.1 Def Tech 800 speaker setup. The picture looks great and the sound is probably ok but I did not go through the Audyssey setup yet and I also don't know what it is supposed to sound like.
I checked how hot the unit was getting, and over a 2-3 hour period it only got warm about 100 degrees max I'm guessing.

I bought it from Amazon and they are sending me another one to replace, I will get it tommorrow. I also got Fedex involved, and because I can't make up my mind wheather to keep this one or not, I've got myself in a big dilemma. The whole thing is a complicating hassle all because one stupid person.

Any help from you guys would sure be appreciated.
Like I said, this is my 1st time at surround sound and I got no experience at all.

Bullitt1165

Auditioning
Real Name
Leon
Dave B Ferris said:
Kind of a scary thought: for all of our packages, how are they handled *before* they are ever dropped at the front door? Are the packages tossed around in various warehouses, or tossed onto trucks? Do packages bump into other packages on the truck?In other words, there's always an element of faith at play.I think schan1269's advice is solid.
Yeah I've often wonderd how hard packages are handled and how many times they are moved in & out of the trucks as they relay them through the sort facility's. I do know that the packages I have gotton over the years sometimes get pretty beat up, which I find unacceptable from a company as professional as UPS or Fedex.

That is why when I sell & ship items on eBay, I always pack them real good. Most sellers don't do this and damage occurs, but most people don't want to hassle with it so they just accept it broken and live with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks