What's new

Farewell Miss Kitty (1 Viewer)

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
One of my cats, Miss Kitty, got into a fight with her older brother Whitey two weeks ago, and he bit her on her hind quarters. Late last week, it appeared that the blood and all the drainage had ceased, and Miss Kitty was social on her usual routine (which wasn't very social at all). But over the past week, she was staying upstairs in the guest bedroom, while Whitey stayed downstairs.

I was home one day this week with the car in the shop, and I could see Miss Kitty getting up and down the stairs slowly, and eating and drinking. It seemed to me that she was gradually on-the-mend; her movement and appetite appeared to continue throughout the week.

Around 2:00pm Saturday, I heard a pitiful "mew" and found Miss Kitty downstairs unable to move. I was able to pick her up. I immediately knew something was wrong--she never let me do that. She had no energy to fight back, even though there was never a reason to do so. She was also dehydrated, which I knew was a bad sign. So I took her to the emergency vet.

The vet found an abscess (Miss Kitty bit me in the process), opened and cleaned it, gave an antibiotic injection, a prescription, and instructions to keep the area clean as well as to follow up to my regular vet for bloodwork--thyroid and renal (kidney) checks.

I got Miss Kitty home and set her up in the guest bedroom, separating her from Whitey with doors closed. She was still not interested in food or drink, and could not move very far, but I could pet her and feel purring. I went out to the grocery store to get a fresh litter box and litter, along with peroxide and cotton balls. She had moved to the floor.

A friend then provided some canned food that I could mix in with the antibiotics. My plan was to spend the rest of the evening downstairs with Whitey (after this day, I needed a nap). Then I was going to spend the night with Miss Kitty.

I got up from the nap around 10:30, fixed a late ramen dinner, and prepared the first mix of beef cat food and antibiotics for Miss Kitty. When I went upstairs and situated myself in the guest bedroom, she did not respond. But that did not surprise me. She was probably under the bed. I fixed up pillows, and went around to the side of the bed, and saw her. I decided to pick her up so I could clean the abscess. But when I picked her up, I found that she was dead.

I angled her into her cat carrier and took her to the garage, where I transferred her to a plastic bag. She came into my life as a kitty that had to stay in the garage until I could take her to the vet and have her checked out. And now she goes out as a kitty who needs to stay in the garage until I can take her to the vet for disposal.

Miss Kitty was 12-13 years old...I don't recall which of my birthdays she adopted me, but that was a world away. I'll miss her.

- Steve

Drue Elrick

Stunt Coordinator
My condolences. It is difficult to lose a companion of so many years. My family had a cat for over 20 years. Rascal was a wild/farm cat, long hair and a 'take-no-shit' attitude. I cried the day we had to put her to sleep. I thought she would live as long as I did as we got her just before I was born.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I am sorry for your loss, Steve. We lost both our cats (17 years old from the same litter) 6 months apart within the last year. It's very difficult losing a family member.

Brian Johnson

Supporting Actor
RIP Miss Kitty.

Glad to see you have good taste in names though.

My two cats names are Big Kitty & Baby Kitty. :D

Again. Sorry for the loss.

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
I'm sorry, Steve. I lost my ASCII on Christmas day a few years back. I know the pain of your loss.

StephenA

Screenwriter
Sorry to hear it. It's not easy losing a pet, especially when they've been in your life for so long. I lost one of the baby guinea pigs I made a thread about this past Tuesday. It stopped eating, and went down hill even though I tried to handfeed it and everything. Even though I only knew it 3 days, it was hard to lose it.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
My condolences for you loss, Steve. I have a cat around the same age, and I know it's only a matter of time for him as well.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Thanks everyone. I think the infection was serious and the shock of treatment was more than she could handle given her dehydrated state. I am a bit relieved to know that she is not in pain anymore.

Now we just need to see how her elder brother handles it.

- Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks