What's new

Extra Component Input (1 Viewer)

Daniel Kikin

Screenwriter
I'm still new to the whole HTF setup so apologies in advance if I'm a little off on the technical stuff. My Sony LCD RPTV currently has two component video inputs, which are being used by my DVD Player and Xbox. I'd like to upgrade to digital cable, but my cable company is telling me I need another component video input on the TV to receive digital and HDTV signals, so I'm thinking I would have to lose the DVD or Xbox from one of the component inputs if I want the cable upgrade. Is there another solution I could consider?

Jonathan Smith

Stunt Coordinator
You could use some form of component video switching. Some receivers will perform this task for you. If your receiver can't do it, you can buy a stand-alone switch box. I think a search for component video switching will provide some useful results.

When switching component video, I know that bandwidth is an important consideration, especially for HD signals. The details are beyond the scope of my knowledge, but maybe someone else can chime in if you are interested.

Jonathan Smith

Stunt Coordinator
Soon after posting my reply, I came across this link over on AVS showing a product like I mentioned. The person who posted it over there seemed to think it was a good one for a fair price.

Daniel Kikin

Screenwriter
Thanks Jonathan, I was hoping something like that was out there, now I need to decide if I should get the digital cable now or wait until Cablevision's DVR comes out in a couple of months before taking the leap.

Rob Kramer

Second Unit

For about the same price, you could get a DVI DVD player. That would free up one of your comp inputs. What is your current DVD player?

Daniel Kikin

Screenwriter
Right now I'm using a Sony DVP-NS715P Progressive Scan model, it's a great player. I think tivo and replaytv offer units with dvd players too, hopefully Cablevision will do the same when they introduce their model, that would be a three for one deal then.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks