What's new

Experiences with purchasing used DVDs (1 Viewer)

Jonathan_E

Agent
Hello,

I was just curious if I could get some opinions from some members that like to purchase used dvds from pawn shops or similar places. Have you had good overall experiences? No bad discs?

I'm wondering because I'd like to pick up the season box sets for Star Trek: TNG and DS9, but they just hit the wallet so hard and I'm a college student.

I'm also curious if anyone from my area (Minneapolis, St. Paul, MN area) would have any recommendations for some popular pawn shops that I might want to check out.

Thanks,
Jonathan

Darko

Stunt Coordinator
Out of all the used DVD's I've purchased, only 1 had a scuff they couldn't clean. I took it home, played it, and it didn't work(DVD skipped). I took it back and my money was refunded.
So, I'd have to say that my experience with used DVD's has been extremely positive.

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
I've bought plenty of used DVDs. I always ask to look at the disc before they ring it up, that way you can't go wrong.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
I have actually had more problems with new DVDs than with used, I guess I'm just lucky not to have gotten a bad used disc.

I would also buy the TNG season sets if they were used somewhere, that's a lot of coin to lay down for a show that I enjoyed but didn't watch all that often.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I haven't purchased a lot of used DVDs, but I've never had a problem with any of the ones I did.

If possible, check the DVDs before you leave the store. Find out what that store's return policy is. Most stores give you 30 days... if they have no return policy, even for defective merchandise, you might want to steer clear.

There are also some trustworthy people on eBay - look for sellers who have tons of feedback with very high approval ratings. Find the guys will sell you used DVDs at a good price with a money back guarantee.

And, of course, the buy/sell/trade forums here at HTF and DVDTalk can be a great resource.

TommyT

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tom
I had a somewhat nasty experience recently with a used DVD: I found Excalibur in the bins at BJs Wholesale Club & thought it was a new copy. After opening it at home I saw that the disc had normal 'wear n tear' scratches on it but nothing that interfered w/playback. Also the artwork, on a godawful Warner snap case, was worn off in several spots. But, I was unhappy, the whole thing just looked USED so I took it back, explained my dislike with it, & they kindly refunded my money.

Just about every DVD I got from Netflix & Greencine was used of course & a few were unplayable. Just make sure you inspect the disc, even if it's wrapped up, for any obvious gouges, deep scratches or cracks.

Rocky F

Second Unit
Probably half my collection (maybe more) was bought used, and I have only had a handful of problems. Picked up the Vista Series Roger Rabbit once from Hastings, and they didn't take it out and let me inspect like they usually do. I got home, opened it up, and there were no discs! I took it right back and they took it with no problem. I think maybe there were one or two instance where I have gotten discs with scratches, but not often. The problem is I rarely see tv box sets like the Star Trek stuff. I did find Alias Season 2 for about $35 only a week after it was released. You could tell it had been opened, and didn't have the rebate offer, but other than that it looked brand new. I got it for the same or maybe less than I would have gotten it for new plus the rebate. It may not be the best deal anyone got for that, but it was good enough for me.

Chris Moe

Screenwriter
I probably have bought at least 150 used DVD's. I have had one bad one (X-Men), took it back with no questions asked. I have two really good places by me and they both often have TV on DVD, in fact I just picked up season one of 24 for $19.99 :D

Chet_F

Supporting Actor
A good % of my DVDs came from Pawn shops. I have bought 1 bad DVD which I knew was scratched to all heck but I tried. The rest of them I have not had any problems with. I might also recommend Down In The Valley(so so selection), CD Warehouse(go to www.cdwarehousemn.com for locations and go to the deals page for coupons), Cheapo is an excellent place for the ST:TNG sets or any other set for that matter. Found Taken there for $40. Unfortunatley they are hit or miss. And last but not least.....pawn shops - these can be hit or miss but the deals are amazing. I'd suggest the yellow pages to locate these or go to www.pawnamerica.com for locations.

Good luck and happy hunting!! :D

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I purchased used versions of Shadow of the Vampire (Universal), The Royal Tenenbaums (9 bucks!), Terminator 2: Ultimate Edition (DVD-18, without sleeve), and 2001: A Space Odyssey (MGM keep case) used.

All seem to have been cleaned up before sale... no problems with playing either. The $9 price of TRT was fantastic... it even had the cardboard sleeve.

StephenA

Screenwriter
For the most part I've had a good experience getting used DVDs. The only bad ones were the ones I bought from a video rental store.

Matt Czyz

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matt Czyz
I've had nothing but good experiences with buying used dvd's. As someone said above, check the discs as they're ringing you up. I've gotten a few Criterions I've always wanted for soooooooooooooooper cheap this way.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I have over 1000 discs, and I would guess that 200-300 I bought used. I also have had more problems with NEW discs than with used ones! (Although I have had a lot of issues with scratched discs that I've borrowed from the library.)

I just make sure to try every disc out as soon as I get it, even if I'm not going to watch the whole thing. Any respectable place will allow you to return a disc that doesn't work.

JohnAP

Second Unit
I've haven't had a problem with any of the used dvds I've bought, mostly from chain stores like FYE, Electronics Botique, etc. To be safe, check out their return policy. If something doesn't play, a lot of stores will give you credit.

ChrisChap

Stunt Coordinator
I have purchased numerous used DVD's, and never had a problem until today. Some one tell me if I am being unreasonable:

I bought a used DVD for $5.99 on 1/3 when they were having a sale - all used DVD's for $5.99.

I watched the DVD last night, and it had a lot of pixelation and I could not even finish the movie it was so annoying.

I take the DVD back to Hastings with my receipt and ask if I can exchange it. They say all they can do is give me $5.99 credit, even though the DVD sells for $9.99. I asked if I could exchange it for a working copy of the same DVD, since that is what I paid for. They said yes, if they had it, but they did not. I said since you don't have it, could I get another DVD of equal or lesser value - they say no, only $5.99. I asked if I could have my money back, and they said I could only get store credit for $5.99.

Long story short, I took the $5.99 credit just to get the guy to shut up and quit trying to explain to me why he was right. I argued that all I was asking is to get what I paid for, no more, no less. He kept hitting me with crafty arguments like "hypothetically, someone could buy 30 DVD's and bring them back 60 days later and try to get newer DVD's so I can't exchange yours..." I thought it was total BS. SO I end up with $5.99 store credit at a store I don't particularly want to shop at anymore, so I picked up a different used DVD and paid the difference.

Vic Cordova

Agent
well, you DID give the guy 5.99... why do you deserve to get 9.99 in return???

point of the thread is, buy yerself used dvds.

MartinTeller

Screenwriter
Chris: he was right, you were wrong. Why do you think you should get $9.99 when you only paid $5.99? Because you bought it on sale? Do you realize how crazy that is? What if everyone did that?

edited to add: What if the situation was reversed? What if you paid the regular $9.99 price, and then you return it during the sale, and they only give you a $5.99 refund? You wouldn't be too happy, would you?

Jonathan_E

Agent
Well, thanks for all the feedback guys. I guess I'm going to start looking into used dvds the next time I feel the urge to splurge, and keep an eye out for those star trek seasons.

ChrisChap

Stunt Coordinator
I see your point, but I was not expecting to get $9.99. I would have gladly taken another copy of the defective disc, that seemed fair to me. All I asked when they could not provide that was to get my money back, which they also would not do. That is when I asked for another disc of equal or lesser value. I don't see what the problem is because I guarantee you they wiped off the disc I returned, left the 9.99 price tag on it, and stuck it back on their shelf.

But to get bakc to the point, I do generally recommed buying used. I have close to 100 DVD's and this is the only problem I have ever had, and all I really lost was I had to pay $4 to get a defective disc replaced (albeit with a different diosc than the one I bought in the first place).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks