What's new

EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW OPPORTUNITY WITH CRITERION: We Invite Your Participation (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Name: Patrick McCart
Question: I'm always fond of the geeky technical stuff. The featurettes on restoring films, such as the ones for The Man Who Knew Too Much, Mildred Pierce, The Philadelphia Story, and The Apu Trilogy are fascinating. Any other interesting stories on problematic film elements?

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
Full name: Mark Cappelletty

Do acquisitions for Janus Films automatically guarantee them being brought into the Criterion Collection? And is the whole collection going to be available on the Criterion Channel? I ask because of the Janus Films acquisiton of the GODZILLA/Toho properties, which I thought would be released in a set (or at the very least, shown on the Criterion Channel the same way they were on Filmstruck) by now to coincide with the release of GODZILLA, KING OF THE MONSTERS on May 31.

Tino

Taken For Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Tino Capone

Are there any plans to release your films in 4K/HDR/Dolby Vision with Dolby Atmos?

Reactions: PMF

Bernard McNair

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bernard McNair
Full Name: Bernard McNair
Does Criterion have any plans to make its streaming service available to consumers in Australia? If it does when might we expect to see it launched?
Thank you

Reactions: PMF

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Full Name: James Perry

Is there any chance to restore and release on blu ray the 1972 Bafta Award winning musical film "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland" featuring Fiona Fullerton and a who's who of legendary British comedy actors?

(Editing to add that Fiona Fullerton could not be nicer. Contacting her was among the greatest moments in my life. Will never forget our emailing back and forth a few times over a year!! :D She's also still active, Strictly Come Dancing in 2013 and a movie in 2017. She should be contacted if this becomes real. There was also a public screening of a print of the film someone had I found after googling a bit. ... just found out it was a showing at UCLA back in 2012 using a print of the film owned by "Joe Dante and Jon Davison Collection at the Academy Film Archive", ANNOUNCEMENT OF THAT HERE wouldn't commentary from Fiona, Dante and others be something incredible! And the missing scenes from the film are something fans have been dying to see. At least a still gallery, including a shot of the Cheshire Cat talking to Alice from the tree...will end my babble here. :D )

Last edited:

Astairefan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Neil Powell
Full Name: Neil Powell

How many classic musicals from the late 20s through the 50s has Criterion currently got licensed for Blu-ray (that haven't been announced yet)?

John Gilmore

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Gilmore
Full Name: John Gilmore

It's so cool that you've made films with special features available for streaming on the Criterion Channel. Thank you! Any chance that we might be able to PURCHASE a digital movie with Criterion extras, say either through the Criterion Channel or iTunes? As much as I love physical disks, limited storage space makes large disk collections (for me) impractical.

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
Name: Kevin Oppegaard

The MPAA Theatrical Home Entertainment Market Environment 2018 report published in March 2019 shows a 50% decline in sales of video disc formats during the last five years. The DVD format still accounts for the majority (57.9 percent) of physical media sales overall.

https://www.mpaa.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/MPAA-THEME-Report-2018.pdf

Criterion still releases DVD and blu-ray versions of every film, with the blu-ray titles only marginally more expensive than the DVD counterparts.

1) Do DVDs typically still outsell blu-ray for Criterion titles? (If so, this is a paradox for a company that has always strived to publish in as high quality as possible).

2) The titles published by Criterion and other boutique labels (e.g. Arrow and Eureka) do not represent the mass market/box office, but art-house, cult and classic cinema. Is there still a strong market for this area of cinema on a physical disc format?

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Any chance of releasing two delightful European comedies, Philippe De Broca's Le Diable Par La Queue (1969) with Yves Montand and Maria Schell and Ettore Scola's Dramma Della Gelosia (1970) with Marcello Mastroianni and Monica Vitti?

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Full name- Jeff Hanawalt

Any plans to release This Is Spinal Tap in BluRay with the existing commentary tracks? Another title I’d like to see a BluRay upgrade is The Prince Of Tides.

Thanks.

Steve_Smith

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steve Smith
Full Name: Steve Smith

Question: For the Godzilla films leased to Criterion, were you allowed to do any type of clean up or work in general, or were the transfers straight from Toho and can only be shown as received?

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
Thanks for this terrific opportunity.
A question from Australia
Full name
Anthony Clarke

Is there any chance that Criterion will issue on Blu ray the sound movies of Eisenstein (Alexander Nevsky and the two parts of Ivan the Terrible) given that new HD masters are now available through Mosfilm .. and in fact Ivan is about to be given Blu ray release in France.

Last edited:

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Full name: Mark Cappelletty

Do acquisitions for Janus Films automatically guarantee them being brought into the Criterion Collection? And is the whole collection going to be available on the Criterion Channel? I ask because of the Janus Films acquisiton of the GODZILLA/Toho properties, which I thought would be released in a set (or at the very least, shown on the Criterion Channel the same way they were on Filmstruck) by now to coincide with the release of GODZILLA, KING OF THE MONSTERS on May 31.

I would also ask, is RODAN going to be released on Blu-ray?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
autismcoe
Recent bookmarks