What's new

Eric Clapton: Live in Hyde Park (1 Viewer)

SteveRS

Stunt Coordinator
I am a sucker for buying just about every concert dvd that I see.
I have been burned so many times with poor to ok to good audio quality but every once in a while a great one comes along. Yes, this is a great one!
The audio is full bitrate Dolby Digital 5.1 (448kbps), dts 5.1 (1536kbps) and PCM (1536kbps).
Kind of a rarity to have all three on a concert dvd.
What is first noticed is how even, detailed and yet smooth the soundmix is.
The clarity of tone of Eric's guitar is consistant from the resonance of acoustic thru the singing sustain and bell-like tones of his Strat and warm and bluesy Gibson. This is the best I have heard guitar on any dvd.
Of course Eric gives an inspirational performance and his mellow vocals add greatly.
There are many exceptional musicians joining in. With honky tonk piano and keyboards, blues harp, horns, bass and drums to add to old blues classics as well as Eric's best from Cream to the present.
The surrounds are used almost entirely for ambiance and crowd noise.
One exception was a cool Leslie rotating speaker guitar effect on the song Badge.
Drums had great impact and cymbals rang true but sometimes would drift across the front soundstage.
Horns and backing vocals are on the right with keyboards and rhythm guitar to the left.
Bass guitar was tight and deep on LFE.
Video is very smooth 4:3 with no grain but just a tad soft.
Overall an incredible performance and a dts sonic delight.
The audio ranks in the top 1% of my concert dvd collection.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

BryanW

Agent
Have you heard the Eagles - Hell Freezes Over ? this is also a great DVD I can't stop watching it. Thank for the Clapton review I've been looking for another great music DVD! BryanW :emoji_thumbsup:

SteveRS

Stunt Coordinator
Yes, the Eagles is another great one.
The Eagles and King Crimson are right up there with Eric Clapton: Live in Hyde Park.
Clapton dvd has such great presence and balanced and even soundmix.
While the Eagles mix is unbalanced with Joe Walsh's electric guitar muted on several songs.
I don't like it when the sound crew mess with guitar tone.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
That was a pretty incredible concert. Even though the who headlined the show and performed Quadrophenia with special guests, Clapton played after the who. Sort of anti-climatic...Dylan played with Keith Richards before the who.

I managed to get about 100 ft from the stage for the who and much of Clapton....but my bladder was about ready to explode about half way through and there was no way in hell I could fight my way back to where I was standing. I am glad the DVD came out so I can see what I missed

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoneman66
Recent bookmarks