What's new

Enterprise 2002-10-09 (1 Viewer)

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rex Bachmann
I liked it well enough, though it still seems derivative of something. Hmmmm, I seem to remember a Lost in Space episode where the Jupiter 2 enters a huge orbiting space-station, where everything seems honky-dory, but, it turns out, the place is actually run by malevolent BEMs (Bug-Eyed Monsters).
"Oh, the pain, the pain . . . ."
Next week: T & A time!

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
This was a Decent Episode tonight, decent Plot, gppd Character Moments and some intriguing Effects. And Backula was more take charge. I hope this starts a trend

Lance Nichols

Supporting Actor
I too like the reminiscent touch of the Central computer looking much like the M5. What I did not like about the episode was the implication that the Porcine race the Tellerites were behind the station.

At lease I thought they had mentioned Tellerites as the species that answered the distress call. They being one of the founding members of the Federation, the tech looked a little to advanced, and borg like.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Great episode, a real science fiction story for once. By that I mean, it is a story that could only be told in a science fiction film.

They also finally clarified that Hoshi is "Ensign Sato" (people had been wondering if this character, who is supposed to be Japanese, was using the Westernized order of "Hoshi Sato" or if she was using the Japanese order, which would mean her name was backwards... anyway, they were nice to finally call her by her official title and clear that up). And I am glad they used her for a few minutes in this episode, even if the lines she was given were, as was already noted, telling a completely forced-backstory about Mayweather.

I don't think this forshadowed the Borg, more like it was forshadowing the "They Stole Spock's Brain" episode of TOS. The central apparatus in the station's "menu" room (the white room) looked like something from the Spock's Brain episode.

Red Dwarf also has encountered its share of automated space stations with nasty rules. If Enterprise could pay homage (or just blatantly get ideas from) a few episodes of Red Dwarf, that would be nice!

Martin Fontaine

Supporting Actor
It plays on Edmonton's A-Channel on Tuesday nights at 8 PM Mountain time or 10 PM Eastern time. On Bell ExpressVu, you can find them on channel 222. They're included in the English language locals package. If you've only subscribed to the French language locals package, you can add a ton of English channels, including A-Channel, for just a few extra bucks per month (the "Partout au Canada" selection for $3.95 I believe).
I'm on Videotron Illico with the i.Ultra Package. Do I have any of those? I know the Wednesday one plays on UPN which is available for an extra cost. But since Space is already part of i.Ultra (I think it's even in i.Anglo as well) I watch it on sundays. But if I can get it on Tuesdays or Wednesdays at no extra cost (I'm already paying too much considering how little TV I watch)

Travis Hedger

Supporting Actor
Am I the only one who saw the ending as the beginings of The Borg?
Nope.

I thought Borg™ the instant I saw the room of all the different species hooked up. And as T'Pol was stating about the brain being the most complex computer, I was thinking that this has to be the beginnings of what the Borg could be. Think about it, as soon as Enterprise was docked, and Archer and all was inside, the station already had scans of everyone and everything. And with all the different people hooked up.....hmmm..interesting.

Francois Caron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
François Caron
I'm on Videotron Illico with the i.Ultra Package. Do I have any of those?
Unfortunately, you have neither of them. On Vidéotron City-TV is only available in Hull, and A-Channel will probably never be carried because Vidéotron doesn't do time-shifting (carry channels from other time zones).

Your only other option is satellite. Check it out! You might be pleasantly surprised at just how much (or how little) it may cost you per month compared with Vidéotron. Just don't go with the minimum size dish. Try to go one size bigger.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Rex-

I thought of the same thing you did regarding the Lost In Space episode and that space station! But this was a far superior execution of effects and story. However this was not derivitive to me, it just felt a bit deja vu in that they encounter a space station.

Nelson

Frank Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Roberto wrote:
That's remarkable. Just as I read your posting, I saw a pig fly past my window.
I believe Jack might have caused hell to freeze over as well. :)
I to thought this was a very good episode. From what I saw of the preview for next week, it looks like that one could be a stinker. As for any Borg related issues, I did not see it. If the Borg are introduced into this series I will probably get pissed. But knowing B&B I would not put it past them to do some sort of time travel episode. Especially if they feel ratings are slipping.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
I had not considered the 'Borg' factor until I saw it here. Thanks, guys! Anywho, if that was their beginnings, maybe it ended up in Janeway's 'wormhole'. (Sorry, but I couldn't resist) and ends up in the Delta quadrant, as we know.

The episode was great, and I can see it returning in a future episode with some offensive capabilities. After all, if a ship's power is crippled, it would be able to take its time in getting all of the ship's passengers, and grow at a faster pace, mentally. Heck, it could redesign and take over the ship's weapons.

Glenn

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rex Bachmann
Scooter wrote:
Sorry, fellas. Not to get excited. In addition to Mr. Broadman's valid point about the provenience of the Borg, you need to get your Trek timeline straight.
Remember that the events in First Contact supposedly take place before those here. In that story the Borg are shown in Earth's 21st century, already 150 years past to Enterprise's time, trying to signal the Borg of that era to head Earthward. That means, for consistency's sake---and let us hold our breath that the producers don't disregard it this time for their own convenience---the Borg will already have existed long before the events of this episode ("Dead Stop").

Frank Anderson

Senior HTF Member
The list reads as follows: Genre Top Ten rank, (Overall rank), title, (Viewers in millions) [Network].
Here are the top ten numbers:
1. (2) C.S.I. (28.47) [CBS]
2. (52) ALIAS (9.73) [ABC]
3. (64) SMALLVILLE (8.07) [WB]
4. (77) JOHN DOE (6.62) [FOX]
5. (86) CHARMED (5.27) [WB]
6. (87) ENTERPRISE (5.25) [UPN]
7. (90) BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER (4.97) [UPN]
8. (92) FIREFLY (4.87) [FOX]
9. (94) ANGEL (4.57) [WB]
10. (96) PUSH, NEVADA (4.35) [ABC]

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Just out of curiosity, how is "C.S.I." part of this "genre" while "CSI Miami" isn't (not to mention all the other police procedurals that have been sprouting like weekds)?

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
And that's 87th place out of how many? Around 110? At any rate, ratings won't matter; the show has a guaranteed seven-year run.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Another Borg-origin theory I remember hearing was that it was V-Ger from the first movie. But I never liked that explanation. And Rex's point about First Contact makes sense to me.

Besides, the idea of the Borg originating from humans or Earth or even something close to us would kill a lot their impact for me (as if the "queen" didn't do that already). Remember, Q introduced them to Picard & Co specifically because they were so different, weird, and powerful. I like to keep it that way.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Ok, can someone please fill the 'hole' in my understanding of the Borg?

Q introduced the Borg to TNG. Before that, they did not exist to Starfleet. I had assumed that in First Contact, the Borg had to go back in time in order to populate the Earth. I realize that this changes the timeline, but still.

Glenn

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks