What's new

Enamel flaking off the interior of microwave- still safe to use? (1 Viewer)

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
i know you aren't supposed to use any metal or aluminum foil in a microwave, so i'm a little concerned to see the enamel flaking off underneath the glass tray and exposing bare metal (although it could be something else i suppose). is this common? is it still safe to operate or should i go out and buy some enamel paint and recoat it? or just trash it and buy a new one?

CRyan

Screenwriter
It should be fine. My new microwave IS bare metal on the inside - came that way. I would remove any pieces though.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
The problem with metal untensils or aluminum foil in the microwave is that they can cause sparking - in part because of their shapes, which focus and direct the energy produced in the chamber. Perfectly flat metal objects tend not to be a problem. I have a combination microwave & toater oven. The turntable is painted metal. Underneath it is a round metal grid for baking and toasting. (You remove the turntable top to get to it.) There's no problem running the microwave with the grid exposed - the unit has a combo mode where it defrosts or partially cooks food by microwave, then turns on the heating element finish things by baking or broiling. Pretty cool, actually. :)

I wouldn't worry about a little bare metal on the interior walls at all.

Regards,

Joe

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
thanks guys, i knew somebody here would have the answer :)

and i appreciate the elaboration Joe

cheers

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
It's not true that you can't use metal in the microwave. I've seen some food in microwavable containers that have metal in them. These are like little styrofoam bowls with metal around the rim.

You can also microwave with foil, if done right. I've heard of putting foil inside the food to direct heat there.

JoeyR

Second Unit
Real Name
Joey
We had a spot that the paint came off inside the microwave, bare metal, it worked fine. There used to be a fast food place locally that would put the fries in a paper holder that was foil wrapped(all one material paper on one side foil on other), my little cousin stuck a thing of fries in the microwave, turned it on and poof, the whole fries container bag and everything caught fire.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks