What's new

Elementary - Season 2 (1 Viewer)

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
As much as I love basketball and am fired up about the tournament, I'm bummed that it means no Elementary for a while.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Very clever mystery and some fun moments with Clyde. Great to have the show back after its two week basketball-induced hiatus.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Hating losing Roger Rees in this way, but it did give Jonny Lee Miller a great acting showcase.

Good mystery, too.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Yeah, this was a good episode. Even though Rees had only been on one (right?) other episode, he would have been a good recurring character. Give the show creators credit, he died in good cause.

This Holmes has more emotion than the original. While I still worship the Jeremy Brett Holmes, who was very much Holmes as originally written, I do like Miller's Holmes.

They are really casting this series well. From the regulars to the guest actors, there's just hits and no misfires.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Yes, he was only on one previous episode in season one. Knowing there was a history between them made me VERY curious about their years of knowing one another. Maybe they'll do a flashback episode next season so Roger Rees can come back.

Yes, great casting. Filming in New York offers such a rich pool of underexposed actors.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Excellent show. The only problem I have is with Sherlock pulling these solutions, seemingly out of thin air.

Loved "Medium", but at least her "psychic" abilities were built into the show, his talents sometimes seem pretentious and entirely unrealistic.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Cameron Yee said:
Examples of thin air solutions?
One of the most recent ones, the bite mark on the victim, who somehow fell onto the person, opening the jaws, causing the bitemark, from dentures made from the original killer. You have to admit that's a bit of a stretch.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Actually, if I'm not mistaken, the only connection the opening scene in the morgue had with the Aaron Colville case was there was a bite mark on the body. The lady on the slab didn't have dentures made from Colville's teeth molds, so the bite mark just turned out to be coincidental.

Beyond those particulars, it's fairly common for Sherlock Holmes stories and film/TV adaptations to have these kinds of miraculous solves for a lighthearted chuckle at the start of the mystery. They are meant to be a little preposterous, a knowing wink to the audience, but then when it comes to the primary case things are much better supported and explained.

So essentially, you're not supposed to take every case they present seriously, especially the ones that don't have anything to do with the main mystery.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Stan said:
Excellent show. The only problem I have is with Sherlock pulling these solutions, seemingly out of thin air.

Loved "Medium", but at least her "psychic" abilities were built into the show, his talents sometimes seem pretentious and entirely unrealistic.
The entire Sherlock Holmes canon - the books, prior movies, etc is based upon seemingly 'thin air solutions'.Holmes' character is a almost-supernatural observer with a immense power of retention and recall of minutiae, trivia and information.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
The return of Mycroft for the (I assume) four remaining episodes of the season. The mystery case seemed almost an afterthought (with some intriguing little gadgets) to the Joan-Mycroft-restaurant strangers puzzle.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Loved Sherlock and Mycroft working together with Sherlock's simmering rage as the catalyst for his investigation. And the surprise twist at the end of the episode certainly makes me eager to see the remaining two episodes with the brothers.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Yeah, nice twist at the end harkening back to the original character concept.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Was definitely shocked by that ending. Looks like Sherlock will be surprised he was able to fool him for so long. Not an easy thing to do.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Well, my goodness! The Mycroft conundrum keeps getting more and more complex.

I wonder if the show is becoming more serialized and less episodic for season three?

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Some shuddery face-offs between our heroes and the major villain in the season finale, and if we are to believe what we see, next year's show would be very different indeed, but, of course, it likely won't take more than one or two episodes to get things back to normal (even if Joan is living away from Sherlock).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks